95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas Off-Road'n

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Off-Road'n

Hey Ya'll,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to go off-roading in or around Abilene? I found a place today..but I did not even need my 4x4 to go where I went..hmmm..
Anyone want to get together and ride?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

No one in Texas huh? oh well...

I looked on the Search option..and all over the web..nothing..

Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 PM

http://www.lonestar4x4.net/phpBB2/

Here you go. A lot of wheelers here.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM

Down here in San Antonio, most of the soil is heavily embedded with small rocks (or larger rocks for that matter), so I tend to keep the off-roading to a minimum as it chips paint fast.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

There was just a thread about this not too long ago that had a website that listed a few places to go. I don't do much off-roading because of the fact that there isn't too many places to go.

EDIT: Here it is.

Last edited by AgRunner06; 12-01-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by AgRunner06
There was just a thread about this not too long ago that had a website that listed a few places to go. I don't do much off-roading because of the fact that there isn't too many places to go.

Yeah I definitely agree. Most of the land that is optimal for off-roading is being developed around here. :-(
Old 12-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Tater..that site I had not found...

Originally posted by AgRunner06

EDIT: Here it is.

AgRunner..I had found that site from Snoozer ..thanks though for posting it again ... Its just sort of frustrating to be in a place with so much land..and have it all owned..hell, even California is better then this..they have LOTS of land for the outdoors type...
thanks for the help guys
Old 12-02-2003, 10:10 AM

I remember reading something about TTORA going to San Angelo, so I guess there's wheelin out that way too, which would be closer to you in Abilene. If I find any more info on TX trails, I'll post it. Its' good to see more TX people showing up around here too.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I just found out that Lake Somerville has an ORV area. It's free so I may check it out this weekend because it's only 45 minutes away from me.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'm in Texas but a little far from your neck of the woods. I don't know anybody that lives in the Houston area that actually wheels their Yota's, or at least they aren't interested in getting together for a run. I've posted in the 4ROC section about it but no Texas takers.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:01 PM

Houston isn't but 2.5 hours from San Antonio straight I-10. It would be great for some of us to get together for a run.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

I would drive over a long weekend down to the Houston area if I had too..I still have a ways to go before I can do anything major..I have a lot of Mod'n to do... ( and not enough money to do it)..˟˟˟˟, I would be happy just finding an easy trail and going camping...there is really nothig to do up in this area of Texas...IT SUCKS HERE!!! all the land is owned
Hell I even went into a "truck shop" today ..Trick Trucks.I think the name was..I had to explain to him what rock sliders were...and had to show him a picture of an ARB Bull Bar..

He dealt with Chevy and Ford stuff...and nothing off road...and there is no where in this town that will do any of the work..I will have to drive the 3 hours to Dallas FW area to get any of it done.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rpeAMP
Houston isn't but 2.5 hours from San Antonio straight I-10. It would be great for some of us to get together for a run.
well then, lets make some plans sometime. my email address is below, drop me a line when you guys are ready and we'll work something out. I don't know alot of areas to camp though. I thought there was a good wheeling/camping area somewhere near san antonio, thought I saw pics once of some mexican dudes stuck in a chevy pickup in the river and a jeep or something was trying to pull them out. I don't know where that was though.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

I'm down for something sometime too. I'm still going to try to check out the ORV area at Lake Somerville and see if it is any good. I know that there is plenty of camping there and I'm pretty sure that there is camping in the same park as the ORV. Like I said, it's only about 45 minutes away from me so I can scope it out and let you guys know how it looks. I'll pick up a map and see if there is a mix of easy trails for us and hard trails for keisur. I should be able to get there this weekend if everything goes as planned. I think that should be kind of a midway point for rpeAMP and Keisur.

You can call me a n00b when it comes to 4x4ing. I haven't done anything hard or challenging yet. I usually just stick to the easier stuff because I really don't need to break anything (that and I haven't found anything difficult). Also my rig is running the BFG Long Trails so that is going to hinder my ability a little.

Let me know what you think.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

sounds good.

I haven't encountered anything really tough either, just the regular dirt mounds in the back of my neighborhood and the occasional "pull off the road on a dirt trail leading into the woods." there's not that much here, well, rocks anyway. I like dirt mounds though, less destructive.

We'll bring some rescue straps to pull you along.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 AM

Yeah I've done nothing except for the occasional mudding when it rains out behind my house. Now all that land is developed. :-(

AgRunner- Sounds like your 4Runner and mine are almost exactly the same (31s, Downey coils, etc.)

keisur- I think you'll be the rescue vehicle for me lol.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 AM

Off Road

Hey, Keisur, I would be interested in off-roading on a weekend? I think the xterra club had a get together in Gilmer.

mochoajr
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

I've got bad news about Lake Somerville. I was reading up on the website and apparently the ORV is for ATVs. It was a try but now it looks like we are back to square one.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

What about near Austin? or San Antonio?
I went up to Possum Kingdon last week..its ok..just dirt trails. I did not get around the whole lake though
Old 01-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

I live in NC now, but went to UT and Texas State, formerly SWT. Did a ton of country back woods(scrub, mesquite and sage actually) yahooing in my day down around Gruene, Wimberly and Devil's Backbone area. Lake Travis has some nice areas as does anywhere west of San Marcos. Lots of public land and deer leases, nice people if you respect the land and property. Otherwise, the Brazos has tons of land open for exploring. Have fun.

keisur...ever go to Fulshears? Great BBQ and country nostalgia.

BTW...I also went to Sac State as per my handle. Go Hornets!

Last edited by Sac State; 01-10-2004 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Texas Off-Road'n