Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tech Write-Up for Viper alarm install

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Tech Write-Up for Viper alarm install

Well I finally did it and I did put a few pics up but I thought it would be nice to outline my install a bit better since there are a few people that are looking to do an install soon themselves. The selection of an alarm and remote starter is a tough one and there are an ever increasing number of choices so chosing the alarm will be up to you but I will say thet the DEI line of alarms would get my vote for quality and since you are putting this in you want to install something good.

There are 2 types of alarms 1-way and 2-way. The 1-way simply allows the remote to send a signal to the car (to lock, unlock, start, etc..) where the 2-way also sends a signal back to the remote (typically as a confimation....someone is breaking into the car, the car is running , etc...). Most tend to be 1-way because the 2-way is more expensive and the remote tends to be more bulky.

1-way Viper 550 ESP (one I chose):

Remote on a 1-way:

2-way Viper 790 XV :

Remote on a 2-way :

OK so now that we have chosen an alarm, you need to decide where you want to mount it. I chose to mount it right below the radio as it is a very central location and asy to route the wires yet it will make it more difficult for a thief to find as most alarm shops mount it under the driver's side kick panel. Theives know this so I will leave it up to you to chose where you want it. Just make sure the wires are long enough to route to their connections from wherever you decide to put it.

Now, let's get on to the installation. Just the be clear, this install was one a 1996 4Runner so 1999 and later may be different. Also, rather than going into crazy detail on how to take apart your dash, it seemed rather straightforward when I did it so Iwill tell you which panels to take off but I will assume you can figure out how to do so.

1) First you need to remove the driver's side lower dash panel which covers all the wires for the ignition and the fuse box. There should be (4) 10mm bolts to remove this. You will also need to disconnect the hood and gastank release levers (each has 2 philips screws).

2) Remove the 4 philips screws from the doorsill then pull up on the plastic sill and it pops off.

3) Remove the driver's side kickpanel (must remove the sill first). Just slide it towards the door opeing and it pops off.

4) Remove the ashtray and the 4 knobs for the climate controls. Also remove the panel behind it using a small screwdriver to pop if off (the AC switch just pops out too).

5) Remove the 2 philips screws holding the large black dash trim peice which will give you acess if you prefer to mount it where I did. As with all the rest of the pieces it will just pop off. You may also need to remove the trim around the shift levers first to allow the other part to come off.

Note: I removed the factory amp because I had an aftermarket head unit so there may be less room to mount it there if you still have the stock amp. In that case you will need to remove the amp, then wrap the alarm in foam, mount it just below the amp (there is space enough to accomodate it there) and reinstall the amp.

6) Pop off the trim plate around the key cylinder.

7) Remove the 2 philips screws at the top of the guage cluster and remove the black trim piece. Then remove the 4 philips screws holding the cluster in place.

OK, now that you have everything disassembled, it's time to get familiar with the system and lay everything out so you understand the different pieces that you will be assembling.

Here is the alarm just out of the box and ready for install:

First thing will be to start installing the alarm art of the unit. In order to do this you will need a wiring diagram or "cheat sheet" as the installers call it. This is what we will use to locate and tap into the correct wire. Make a printout of your vehicle's sheet so you can have it with you in the truck during wiring.

Here is where I found the best cheat sheets:
http://www.designtech-intl.com/Conte...ors/?makeID=51

If you have a DEI alarm you can get their install guide here:
http://www.directed.com/guides/igs.asp

Are you ready to do some soldering?

Almost! You need to now place the brain unit where you want to put it and begin to start routing the wires out to the various connection points. Like I said, I mounted mine under the radio but it is up to you. I will give directions as i have done it from now on. If you want a different place then keep that in mind.

Here is where I mounted it:

First thing we will do is to connect up the 12 pin harness. What I did was to route the harness up over the structural tube inside the dash and then over the steering tube and finally to the ignition wires for hookup.

OK....now we are ready for soldering!
First thing is to find the 6 wires coming from the ignition harness.

The alarm's wiring will be the fllowing:

The Alarm diagram for the Viper 550 ESP can be seen here (last page):
http://www.directed.com/guides/manua...iper/N553V.pdf

These searches at www.the12volt.com will help you if you need to troubleshoot:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...I=TC&FM=3&OB=1
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...t=Start+Search

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-09-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

If you guys have suggestions or something isn't clear, let me know.
Sort of a work in progress.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far so good! Off-topic but when you purchased your 4Runner in the states, what kind of hassle was there to bring it over to Canda? I may be purchasing any of these vehicles listed below from the states: 2nd gen 4runner, 90-95 Toyota Pick X-Cab 4wd/2wd, or a Nissan X-Cab 4wd in about 6-8 months from now.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
So far so good! Off-topic but when you purchased your 4Runner in the states, what kind of hassle was there to bring it over to Canda? I may be purchasing any of these vehicles listed below from the states: 2nd gen 4runner, 90-95 Toyota Pick X-Cab 4wd/2wd, or a Nissan X-Cab 4wd in about 6-8 months from now.

Thanks
I have decided that will be getting all my vehicles from the states and importing them. Just fly some place warm and drive it back to the boarder (best way to get an older but rust-free car and pay lower tax). Be preared for some nasty taxes (I think it is %15 of the value of the car above $10,000?......but still cheaper than buying them here!!!) and the vehicle needs to sit at the boarder for 3 days while the US ensures it is not stolen, after that you have now imported your vehicle. If you have an american title, they take it away at that time. You don't ever get it back until the vehicle is brought back across into the US permanently. Now you need to take the import papers to the DMV and get it registered.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-08-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Hole in seat

Who got hungry here?

Nice work on the install except for that big hole you ripped in the seat.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

hehehe......that is actually not my car.....someone on ebay was nice enuf to donate some pics.
Notice the truck in the pics is green and mine is desert dune.