Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan Install Complete 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taurus Fan Install Complete 2.7L

Well I dont know what got into me today but for some odd reason I got motivated to do something. So I went over to my local junkyard and picked me up a fan from a 91 tuarus 3.8L. Then I went over to my local parts store and picked up a fan controller and a mounting kit and headed home. I took the old crap off/out including the radiator. The fan wouldn't fit as it was(it hit the water pump), so I had to improvise. I removed about .5-.75 of an inch all the way around on the fan shroud so it would set closer to the radiator(farther from the water pump) Walllahhh! It fit. So I get everything wired up..I didn't used an external relay, I just stuck with the 30/40 amp relay that plugs into the controller. Ok heres where my questions come in. I started the truck up let it warm up a little, turned the AC on, the fan kicks on..cool.. that works I let the truck sit and the temp rises to about 3/4 guage. not really what i wanted to c but ok..so i turn the ac off. but the fan kicks off too. I had already adjusted fan to kick on where i wanted it too, so I dont know why it kicked off???. I messed with the adjustment a little bit and the fan kicked on. (I need to mess with the adjustment more later so Im not too worried about it right this second) Anyway the temp didn't get any higher but it didn't get any lower either. This leaves me to believe that the low speed isn't going to be enough air even to cool my little 4 banger. So what do I have to do to run high speed all the time. Why cant i just get a bigger amp relay and plug it in where the 30/40 amp relay on the controller is? and then just switch wires? That seems like it would work to me Well let me know what you guys think Im not a know it all on electronics so you can talk dumb to me. Any replys would be helpful....Ill try to post some more pics tomarrow..thanks Derek
Attached Thumbnails Taurus Fan Install Complete 2.7L-dsc00067.jpg  

Last edited by cruizin01; 08-11-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:56 PM

That is interesting that the low speed setting won't cool your engine. What temp setting is the fan controller that you used? I think that the fan only turning on when the A/C is on and your engine is hot seems to indicate that your fan controller is malfunctioning. I had the same thing happen with the second adjustable fan controller that I had installed. (I went through 2 adjustable fan controllers~ $80.00!) Somehow having the fan controller mounted on the shroud, it would cook the controller. When I went to the preset temp sensor, I had no further problems. By the way, how much smaller is the fan and shroud than your radiator? On the 3.0 V6 radiator, I have about an inch of uncovered radiator on the top and bottom of the fan, and none on the sides. I haven't looked at the 2.7l engines, but on the 3.4, the taurus fan is pretty small since the radiator is like 6 inches wider than a 3.0 radiator. I also replaced my thermostat when I did the taurus fan install. I am running a 180* thermostat and a 185* preset fan controller. In order to run the high speed setting, you will need to use the 30/40A relay to actuate a larger 80A or another pair of 40A relays wired in parallel. I still think that the low setting should be enough to cool your 4 cylinder. Keep us all posted.

Last edited by seafarinman; 08-11-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Yeah I need to do more investigation with the settings on the controller. I thought about going with a preset one but I didn't c any at the autozone or the parts america that i was at. The new fan and shroud is a bit smaller than the old setup. I saw that you went with a cooler thermostat I might want to look into that. But I dont think I should have too. I need to pick up some "toyota" antifreeze tomarrrow to top mine off. I think its about a halfgallon short so that might have a little bit to do with it. I mess with it tomarrow night after work and if Im still gettin hot Ill ask for suggestions on the higher fan speed setup..thanks D

Oh I do have a pic of the two sizes maybe this will give you and idea of radiator sizes
Attached Thumbnails Taurus Fan Install Complete 2.7L-dsc00060.jpg  
Old 08-11-2003, 07:23 PM

As far as the high speed fan setup you can use (2) 40A relays or use a NAPA part # ST85 which is a large 85A winch type solenoid that is about $47.00- I had one, but I returned it since I didn't need to run the high speed setting. I plan to add it later along with a DPDT switch that I bought at Radioshack to switch to the high setting from the low if need be. Search my threads about the Taurus fan and you will find more info. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:30 PM

Well I picked up a gallon of "toyota" anti-freeze this morning, they tryed charging me 17 dollars and I said I wasn't gonna pay it so I got them down to 12. I guess my fluid level was lower than I thought. I guess thats why my truck was running hot. Everything seems to be working correctly tonight. I let the truck set with the ac on for a little while and it never got hot. Only thing Ill have to wait and c about is if itll get hot when the outside temp is 20 or 30 degrees warmer. Hopefully I wont have to wait till next year to find out. I love the mod though, you dont have to listen to that stupid clutch fan all the time. This one seems super quiet to me. Throttle response deffinately seems better. Deffinately worth the 60 bucks. If anybody has questions on how to do a 2.7 let me know...thanks everyone for the help. Derek
Old 08-12-2003, 07:02 PM

Sweet. I am glad that the Taurus fan worked out for you and that you didn't need to spend all the extra $$$ for the required parts to use the high speed setting. Now there is one in pretty much all of the Toyota truck engines except for the V8. I know that there is at least one person out there (Ravencr) that is working on a 3.4 install. Anyone else gonna do the install??
Old 08-13-2003, 05:29 AM

If someone wants to donate a 3.4l engine and harness to me Id be glad to do the fan conversion along with the swap.