Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tapping Cranking Noise in Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[UPDATE-VIDEOS] Tapping Cranking Noise in Rear

Guys, i need more help...

Yesterday i got my 01 4Runner Limited from the body shop. They replaced the middle piece of the rear bumper. The corners of the bumpers are still the old ones. Anyways now that i have it i hear noises when i turn or hit bumps...
Keep in mind my shocks are kinda worn out But it was Not making that noise before i took it to the shop.

Could they have messed something up?! Or could it be the bumper no put in properly.

I Only hear the noise when the car... i guess you would say 'sways'. When i make a pretty fast turn and the car leans left or right. At times its a nasty noise. I describe it as getting 2 screws put the together and scrape them. like something is stuck and it jerks free. when i accelerate fast i also hear like a tap or click... and when i brake hard i hear the same thing. My brother laid in the back to listen to it and he said its not from the bumper area. He says it sounds like its right underneath him. Around the right rear tire and middle of the rear tires area...

When they took the bumper off, could they have damaged something? like the suspension? I know they took the spare off. Also i think they probably took the towing hatch off because where the bolts holding it to the chassis seem to be sprayed with something... maybe to loosen them...
Anyways any thoughts or advice will help a lot! please.

Thanks.

If u need pictures i can take some whenever u like. Just tell me wat u wanna see thnks guys!

Last edited by rams; 04-28-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: title change
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd probably check and see if the spare tire has been fully retracted in it's space.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Yep... i was doing that last night. Its nice and tight. I shake the bumpers and everything seems okay. I rock the car back and forth side to side and no noise ...

Do shocks or struts ever make that noise when they are bad?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to look at it personally to tell you. It could be a number of things the way you describe it, rear end noises, drive shaft, cv axles etc...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 PM

crap..... im going to take it back to the body shop. Im going to tell them to inspect it cause it wasnt making that noise before i took it in.

Most likely they gonna tell me all they touched was the bumper and that the bumper is nice and secure...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Hey guys!
So my dad came over. We took the back wheels off and started to inspect more in depth.
We notice the rubber piece attached on the exhaust pipe was not hooked to the rest of the body. This was one of the reasons why i heard a tapping noise.
We took it for a drive to see if it was still making noise and, yes! it still made noise
After my dad hearing the noise for himself, he said it sounded like something was loose and scrapping. We looked again and found the 2 screws that connect the chassis to the bed/body didnt have a the nut that tighten then from moving....!!
from the bed inside we see the screws (about 4 inches long maybe?) go through an opening down to another opening in the chassis. its just sitting there loose as hell. We grabbed each side of the rear fenders and started rocking it. You can hear something scratching and grinding. My dad says its the body hitting the chassis.
He says its missing the nut and some rubber pieces to tighten the screw.

I called the shop but the guys wont be in until monday. So im going to go on Monday to tell him the stuff they missed!

Does this sound right to anyone? could this be whats making the noise? I am still kinda doubtful but what do i know? My dads the more experienced one. lol I will take pictures and videos for you to see. Maybe compare to yours. PLease.

Its a 3rd Gen 4runner.

Thanks guys! pls share your opinions.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Here are some videos guys. Sorry i couldnt wait for the morning lol.
It was night so i grabbed my small and only flashlight. But this first video is under the driver side rear bumper.
Does your guys 3rd gen look like this underneath? is your bolt also loose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewT1EsrDu10

And this second video is inside the cargo area. This is how you get to the bolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh-IOQbQTMY