Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tailgate window problems... of course

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailgate window problems... of course

I am having what appears to be a common problem. My tailgate window is very difficult to raise, especially in the cold weather. It raises very slowly until it is about 1" from being closed, then it usually stops and will go no further. I usually spend 10 - 15 minutes moving the window up and down until it finally closes. I am assuming that I may need to replace the motor/ window regulator (from reading other posts). My question is.... how much time and effort should be expected to do this? Has anyone detailed the work needed (possibly with pictures)?
Old 03-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

I doubt that you will need to replace the whole motor...when I had that problem I just went to the dealer and got some spray silicone and sprayed it in the tracks and then used my finger to spread it. Worked pretty well, I eventually did it to the other ones too...they all work pretty well now...well except for the one that won't move ANYWHERE

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 03-28-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:07 PM

thanks..... I will definitely try that first
Old 03-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same prob on my '91, like FINK said, except I went ahead and used spray white lithium grease for the tight spots, and some good old fashon "lube" grease for the big stuff. I even used a candle and rubbed the edge of the glass to help the tracks.

Worked like a champ! Popping off the inside plate on the gate is really easy, Just roll the window up and down a lot while its apart to make sure you work the grease into every nook and cranny.

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:58 PM

OK.... I have not had a chance to pull the tailgate apart to lube it from the inside, but I did spray silicon lubricant into the rubber channel while the window was down. Now it seems to move up and down much better. Now I have a new problem. Even with the window up (i have checked and it is ALL the way up)... I can not get my rear defrost and rear wiper to work. I assume there is a switch or something that senses when the window is fully closed, that will prohibit those features from working. Where is this and what does it look like?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:24 PM

There are a couple of micro switches on the inside of the tailgate close to the winder motor. When the window is fully raised they will make contact and allow your wiper/demister to work
Old 04-09-2004, 04:52 PM

are there any detailed postings about these "micro switches"? I looked at mine today and I can't semm to find them. I see 2 metal tabs attached to the bottom of the window on the drivers side.... are supposed to make contactwith something maybe?? They are just 2 small metal tabs right on the far end and bottom of the tailgate window on the drivers side.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

I don't have any first hand experience with those micro switches but I would guess that those two metal tabs on the window are supposed to be making contact to allow the wiper and stuff to work. If those make contact and it still doesn't work I would look at a fuse, mine blow quite frequently for some reason...if that doesn't work we'll have to figure something else out.

Fink
Old 04-09-2004, 07:02 PM

it's not the fuse. I tried to see inside the tailgate to see what those tabs maybe contacting... but I don't really see or feel anything. hopefully someone has some experience in how the truck knows the window is up.....

I will continue looking in the morning.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:42 PM
ozz

when the window is fully up the the door locks and is saposed to shut the circut for the wiper and defrost,if you fiddle around and find the linkage down from the door lock you should be able to see the open close circut.sorry i cant spell
Old 04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Ozz is right the relay that engages the lock stops the window. BTW the two little connections you refer to on the window are for the rear window defroster grid. The connectors tend to get caught and break off if not routed properly.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:27 PM

should any wires be connected to those tabs for the defrost?..... Mine does not have anything connected to it. But the defroster has worked within the past 1-2 months.... maybe the wires got caught on something and pulled off??

I will definitely check out the door lock thing tomorrow after work.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Yes definatly I believe a white wire and a black with white tracer on the second one. They should be in a plastic/vinal tube a couple sizes too big for the pair of wires. This contains them and allows them to fold to the bottom with the gate up. If you run the window up and down a lot with the gate open they will get caught on the guide and come off.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:47 PM

still no . her what I have found:

1. i reattached the wires to the tabs on the window for the defroster
2. the "back door" sensor seems to work fine (ie: the dash light comes on and off when I lock/unlock the door)
3. defrost fuse is fine
4. still with tailgate close or open, I put the window all the way up and no wipers, no defroster.

any ideas where to try next?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

BTW.. these motors are notorious for water getting inside them due to the lack of a seal on the gear side. You can pop the metal caap off the motor and I would spray that with lithium grease. It will seal back up and all you need to do is to bend the 2 tabs back over
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM

I GOT IT!!!!!!

I found the limit switch that detects when the window is fully raised.
there is a small black box next to the motor that has 2 wires plugged into it (red/blue & white/black). below the box is a little metal rocker switch. when the window is fully raised, the switched matches up with a hole in the large gear. This allows the switch to "open". when the window comes down, the large gear holds the switch "closed". I cleaned up the metal switch and now it works again. Looks like it was sticking in the closed position. I took some pictures of the switch..... I will try to post them.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear ya found the problem. If you have any other problems I've got the entire rear gate sittin in my garage.

Last edited by Dublin; 04-13-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:41 PM

2nd gen. rear window limit switch

here is a broad view of where to find the switch
Attached Thumbnails tailgate window problems... of course-broad-view.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 05:42 PM

here it is close up
Attached Thumbnails tailgate window problems... of course-close-up.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 05:44 PM

here is the switch while the window is down