Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma Rear Leaf Spring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma Rear Leaf Spring Problem

Not sure if I posted it in the right section or not, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60477

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated....
Old 06-04-2005, 09:13 AM

springs

If you want to locate the problem quick spray wd 40 on the bushings.If it stops there is your problem.If not the spray the springs down themselves sometimes there is friction between them that can cause a noise.That way if you take it back you know what to tell mechanic. My dont make noise they just sag with only 18,000 miles on it.Man the springs are weak on these things.All I did was put a topper on it and later it droped 13/4 inches.I put a set of airlift air bags on it and solved the whole problem.I have a 700lb 4 atv.I put it in the back of my2004 tacoma.The fenders were with in an inch of the tires.I thought it was a truck not an suv.oh well.Make them put new springs on it.Toyota can afford it.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

oddly enough...My old boss at a company I used to work for has a 97 Taco and he was getting some squeaking in the rear leave. It was driving him nuts and he couldnt find where it was coming from.

He talked to a mechanic friend and he told him the problem and the mechanic went down a long list of things it could be. The mechanic asked him what kind of vehicle it was and when my boss told him it was a Taco the mechanic said it was probably a cracked spring. Sure enough we crawled under it and saw a hair line crack in the pass side leaf. We got a junk yard replacment and there was no more squeak.

Now the thing that confuses me is, has this mechanic seen alot of failed Taco leafs to assume that was his problem? I havent talked to the mechanic since, then I moved away and ended buying a Taco after the fact so it would be goofy for me to call him now.

Dont think it could be something similar do you? Its unlikely but its the best I can help from my experiences with squeaks.

Check your lemon laws in your state and keep taking it back until it qualifies. Then buy an 06 which will hopefully have the problem solves. Seems extreme yes but I'm pretty sure you paid a pretty penny to have this vehicle parked out in front of your house and you deserve to have it operating properly. Besides its embarrassing to have a new vehicle rolling around making odd noises.

Last edited by CynicX; 06-04-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:19 PM

Spray the entire leaf spring pack with WD-40...

the leafs are probably rubbing, same thing happened in my 2002 Tacoma after a river crossing.....

worked for me, but I used lithium grease spray. YMMV.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 PM

First - you're not the only one who's been driven 'nuts' by squeaking rear leafs on an '05. Not all '05 owners are reporting this problem, but those that do are having a hard time getting it resolved...

One prominent victim has been CustomTacos member 'KAuss', whose XR rear leafs have driven him up the wall. Multiple trips to the dealership have not permanently fixed the noise (though he's gotten temporary relief now and then).

No one has yet come up with a definitive explanation. Some of the theories (including those rendered by the dealer) include:

- bad leafs (though I don't know that anyone's proven a crack yet)
- bad bushings
- composite bed (i.e., it's the bed, not the spring, that's creaking)
- improperly torqued bolts somewhere under there
- the noise is actually the separate 'under the cab' (cab mounting bolts) issue, and only *seems* to be coming from the rear leafs
Old 06-04-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by EnolaGaia
First - you're not the only one who's been driven 'nuts' by squeaking rear leafs on an '05. Not all '05 owners are reporting this problem, but those that do are having a hard time getting it resolved...

One prominent victim has been CustomTacos member 'KAuss', whose XR rear leafs have driven him up the wall. Multiple trips to the dealership have not permanently fixed the noise (though he's gotten temporary relief now and then).

No one has yet come up with a definitive explanation. Some of the theories (including those rendered by the dealer) include:

- bad leafs (though I don't know that anyone's proven a crack yet)
- bad bushings
- composite bed (i.e., it's the bed, not the spring, that's creaking)
- improperly torqued bolts somewhere under there
- the noise is actually the separate 'under the cab' (cab mounting bolts) issue, and only *seems* to be coming from the rear leafs
The noise are the springs.... I just do not know if it is the shackle/bushings/or springs....

If they dealer can not fix it... Fock it, I will just break down and purchase some aftermarket leafs/shocks/shackles/greasable bushings.