Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma Header and Exhaust Questions...

Old 07-30-2003, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma Header and Exhaust Questions...

I'm wondering if anyone makes or if it would be possible to have someone make a header system for the V6 which uses two seperate headers, a true "set" of 3 to 1 headers then run a true dual exhaust setup, not just dual mufflers. If it was done do you guys think there would be large gains from it? Forget about the cat, there are ways around CE lights. Would there be enough backpressure?

I'm taking my taco to the owner of KO Racing this weekend. He's going to check out the current exhaust and he's going to design a system for my truck. KO Racing currently makes the best exhaust for the 2nd Gen MR2 which nets 2-3hp over the number two exhaust.

I was going to go with 40 series flowmasters but all these exhaust guys tell me they suck, and to go with other mufflers. Kris's top choice is Magnaflow. Anyone have one on their truck? How does it sound?

Is anyone running a true dual exhaust setup?

I'm also curious about this, how can a turbocharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engine flow enough for a dual exit 3" exhaust but an N/A 3.4L V6 can only flow enough for a 2 1/2" exhaust?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Tacoma Header and Exhaust Questions...

Originally posted by joey93turbo
[B]I'm wondering if anyone makes or if it would be possible to have someone make a header system for the V6 which uses two seperate headers, a true "set" of 3 to 1 headers then run a true dual exhaust setup, not just dual mufflers. If it was done do you guys think there would be large gains from it?
Sure its possible. But currently, I am not aware of a company that makes them, nor would fabrication of "true" 3 to 1 headers be worth the money when compared with the gains over the current systems available.

Forget about the cat, there are ways around CE lights. Would there be enough backpressure?
Dont go there man . Unless you are racing off-road, leave the cat on. On a NA engine, with no headwork or high lift/duration cams, you are going to lose your low end torque.

I'm taking my taco to the owner of KO Racing this weekend. He's going to check out the current exhaust and he's going to design a system for my truck.
Cool. Hopefully he knows its a federal offense to remove a cat.

I was going to go with 40 series flowmasters but all these exhaust guys tell me they suck, and to go with other mufflers.
Is anyone running a true dual exhaust setup?
Did they say why? Or was it just some people blowing steam as usual. A 40 series flowmaster will be the loudest if that is what they mean.

I'm also curious about this, how can a turbocharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engine flow enough for a dual exit 3" exhaust but an N/A 3.4L V6 can only flow enough for a 2 1/2" exhaust?
Because on a properly tuned turbocharged engine, backpressure is the enemy. On a stock N/A engine, backpressure is your friend.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A turbocharger needs absolutely no backpressure to make power, so the bigger the exhaust you have, the better. Your engine is backpressure reliant in terms of power, so you have to be picky with the exhaust pipe diameter.

I think you'd be better off using a y-pipe off the headers and joining them to one slightly larger pipe. If not, you'd have to keep the pipe diameter off the headers pretty small to maintain the backpressure you need. Plus other things like O2 sensor readings come into play since there's only one sensor and it can't take readings off of both pipes at the same time.

I have a 40 series flowmaster. I like it OK. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with magnaflow. Just take a look at the guts of 'em. To me, the magnaflow has gotta flow better.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah... definitely keep the cat. Actually, get a high flow cat. I've been both ways and like the cat better.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:20 PM

You guys give some great advice, thanks! I think I'm gonna go with the TRD headers if I can pick up a set for cheap.

I am looking for a loud setup. Call me whatever you want, but I like it loud

I've heard the 40 series flowmaster sounds a bit high pitched though, like a lawn mower or a prop plane. I'd like to have a LOUD low tone. Any suggestions as to which muffler I should use to achieve that?

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go single or dual exit after the cat if that's possible.

What I want = LOUD, low "Rumble" tone, and good flow.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I have you looked at Corey's exhaust page? It has movies and soundbytes of different exhausts.

The link is in my sig under "exhaust movies."

If you want loud, go with a 2.5" straight pipe after the cat.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:37 PM

I thought about running a straight pipe but I heard someone talking about it after they did it and they said it sounded like crap. Also, without a muffler can't you bend valves or is that just with older american engines?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

That's a myth. I ran open a open header on my 95 SI, increased the redline from 7400 to 8200, and I never bent a valve.

I also ran a straight pipe from the header back on my old Mazda 2.2 and that sucker was loud. Yes, I was an idiot for driving it on the street with no cat. Lost all my low end torque.

You will be fine without a muffler.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-30-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:48 PM

Won't you lose alot of backpressure without the muffler?

I listened to those sound clips. I like the Magnaflow and Dynomax best. The Dynomax has an awesome tone. How loud are those compared to each other and the flowmaster?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joey93turbo
Won't you lose alot of backpressure without the muffler?

Depends on what your definition of a lot is. When you hack off the muffler, your cat becomes the "muffler" so to speak. If you want loud, raw engine sound, go 2.5" straight pipe - cat back.

If you want a more tuned, subtle sound, with almost as much of a gain as a straight pipe, go with one of the 3 mufflers listed above and a custom 2.5" system.