Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma dealer buyback... Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma dealer buyback... Opinions

I bought a 03 Tacoma x-cab V6 4x4 TRD in May. The vehicle now has 9000 miles. It has been back to the dealer 5 times to resolve a dash rattle issue. They had to replace the gauge cluster, other unknown parts in the back of the dash and a variety of clips. The dash no longer buzzes all the time but creaks and pops over bumps. The asst. service manager told me they never thought it could be entirely quieted.

After the 5th visit I talked to my salesman about my dissatisfaction with the situation. He explained I could file a complaint with Toyota or possibly they could buy the vehicle back. He talked with his manager and they offered to buy it back for $20,500. I paid $23000, this seems like a fair buyback price.

I could get the same truck in an 04 for $23k and Toyota is offering 1.9% financing on Tacomas currently.

Or I could get a nice late model 3rd gen for a little cheaper.

Or I could file a complaint with Toyota and see where that gets me. My understanding is that it could qualify as a lemon and Toyota would have to supply a new vehicle. Or, Toyota could attempt to repair, maybe a new dash. The negative to this is the vin would be branded attempted lemon or something similar, hurting my resale value.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions about which direction I should take?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

So you are losing $3K+ for a problem caused by Toyota? Forget that dude. I would push them more. I understand there is depreciation associated with every purchase, but I think principal kinda takes over here.

They are going to turn around and sell the truck on the lot with their "certified" sticker on the window - which is crap. And they will probably make money off of you and the next buyer of the truck. Tell them to replace the entire front end if necessary.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Tacoma dealer buyback... Opinions

Originally posted by PoorHouse
I bought a 03 Tacoma x-cab V6 4x4 TRD in May. The vehicle now has 9000 miles. It has been back to the dealer 5 times to resolve a dash rattle issue. They had to replace the gauge cluster, other unknown parts in the back of the dash and a variety of clips. The dash no longer buzzes all the time but creaks and pops over bumps. The asst. service manager told me they never thought it could be entirely quieted.

After the 5th visit I talked to my salesman about my dissatisfaction with the situation. He explained I could file a complaint with Toyota or possibly they could buy the vehicle back. He talked with his manager and they offered to buy it back for $20,500. I paid $23000, this seems like a fair buyback price.

I could get the same truck in an 04 for $23k and Toyota is offering 1.9% financing on Tacomas currently.

Or I could get a nice late model 3rd gen for a little cheaper.

Or I could file a complaint with Toyota and see where that gets me. My understanding is that it could qualify as a lemon and Toyota would have to supply a new vehicle. Or, Toyota could attempt to repair, maybe a new dash. The negative to this is the vin would be branded attempted lemon or something similar, hurting my resale value.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions about which direction I should take?
My opinion, this saleman/dealer rep is NOT doing you a favor by offering to buy your rig for $20,500. You would then have to re-pay TTL and other charges. Of course, he would help you, it involves buying a new vehicle from him/them. Sorry to be curt, but the legal system would laugh you outta court if you tried to claim a rattle as a lemon. I know it is frustrating and aggravating, but a lemon has to have a safety issue at least to be considered. Check out edmunds.com for lemon laws, etc.

My Toyota's have always had the rattle work itself out after awhile. Maybe you should take it to a different dealer? I had my dealer completely replace the dash on my '02 Sport, the local install was better and tighter than the factory! Seek another dealer for the fix, note and document everything.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:00 AM

see if they will trade straight up on a 2004 that is exactly the same as your 2003. Then they can sell yours as certified for about 20K in the used lot and your a happy customer!

Makes sense to me! If that scenario doesn't work I would complain and file for having a elmon or something (not sure on the specifics of those laws though.).
Old 12-19-2003, 06:04 AM

Good points, I know the dealer is going to make money on another sale and selling my vehicle.

While considering my options I shopped around a couple other dealers, the best trade offer I got on my rig was $17,500. This makes the $20,500 look more reasonable. $2500 to drive for 9000 miles and 7 months isn't terrible. I'm glad they are willing to concede something to keep me happy.

I agree my vehicle likely wouldn't qualify under lemon laws. I do think if I continue to push my complaint the dealer and or Toyota will replace the dash if the have to. I'm sick of having the truck in the shop though.

Another dealer is an option, the closest is 150 miles away though.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i'd say sac state has the answer here. take it around, shop for a dealer who is willing to work on your terms.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget the dealer and go to Toyota corporate. The dealer is worried about one thing and one thing only, their bottom line. You'll have to go to Toyota Corporate if you want the problem resolved. Let them know about it sooner rather than later, and you'll have more leverage.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any other problems with the truck? considering that the only reason you're unhappy with the truck is a dash rattle, i think 20,500 is more than reasonable. i dont think toyota motor co. is going to consider that problem with the dash a lemon, but i think the dealer is going out of there way to keep you satisfied by offering 20,500 for your truck. or tell them to take your truck and some cash for an 04'
Old 12-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Guys, look at the big picture here. Tax and title are going to apply once again. So that will be an additional $1K+ loss on his part.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:51 AM

"is there any other problems with the truck? considering that the only reason you're unhappy with the truck is a dash rattle, i think 20,500 is more than reasonable. i dont think toyota motor co. is going to consider that problem with the dash a lemon, but i think the dealer is going out of there way to keep you satisfied by offering 20,500 for your truck. or tell them to take your truck and some cash for an 04'"

No other problems

It's a minor problem, but I spent the extra $$ for a Toyota so I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

I would say either take the dealer up on their offer or get a good stereo to drown out the noise. I just think by the time you talk to Toyota Co. and your local Toyota dealership you'll have wished you took them up on their offer. It just sounds like too much of a headache to me. And with the 1.9% financing and only $2500 differnece I think it would be well worth not having to go through all the red tape to get your problem fixed. It's really up to you and up to how bad this sound bothers you. If it were me I would just deal with the sound and save my money, but I also haven't heard it so I'm kinda just talking out my butt right now. Hope you get it resolved and good luck
Old 12-19-2003, 07:09 AM

i'd give a call to toyota corporate, it wouldn't hurt. but if that doesn't work, i'd say go for the $20,500. i doubt any state will put that under the lemon law, for it to count as a lemon (in most states that i'm aware of) it has to be a safety issue. i don't think a rattling dash (which i will admit is terribly annoying) counts as a safety issue.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

My dash squeaks and rattles all the time....I just got used to it Probably cause my trucks a little older though.....I dont think I'd stand for it either if it were brand new.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:48 PM

In some states, lemon cars include those with such "noncomformities" as one or more defects or conditions that affect not only the safety of the car, but also its use or market value. An example of a non-safety issue defect would be where the paint keeps peeling off despite attempted repairs. Check with your local consumer groups as to what your state considers to be a "nonconformity."

Last edited by ibfrelling; 12-19-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

What's your time worth? Yes, you MIGHT win at arbitration, but you'd probably have to endure more repair attempts and vehicle down time before your hearing. Then arbitration might be held in an inconvenient location at the wrong time for you. If you did win, I'm not sure if the buyback price would be as generous as the dealer trade-in offer. Then there's the aggravation factor that you can't put a price on. Choose your fights wisely, I'm not sure if this one is worth it.

I really sense that the dealer is trying to work with you here. Their depreciated price is slightly above Kelly Trade-In value. Of course the year-end customer and dealer incentives that disappear in January are helping lower the '04 price, too. I'd say drag out your decision while working for a lower price from them and a few other dealers around the state using a buying service or Edmunds for TMV pricing (Invoice + $$$ - incentives) and then apply their trade offer against that. Make you final offer around the 30th. The dealer will want every last sale for the year to up his allocations for next year and keep the factory wonks off his back about both sales and service performance. I could be wrong, but aren't taxes assessed on the difference between trade-in value and price paid only? If you can't get them any closer in net cost, ask for a free Toyota Extra Care Service Contract, and insist on having them pick up the title fee.

You're in the driver's seat, but I think the dealer wants to please you recognizing that Whitefish is such a small town. He knows word would quickly spread, and a small town dealer thrives on keeping their reputation squeaky clean. If you can get rid of or keep manageable the TT&L fees, if any, and get the extended warranty included for free, I'd say close by month-end. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 PM

what with TTL you will be out another $1K or so?
So you will be getting about $19K back for your 03?

I'll just buy it clean from you for $18500
Old 12-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

I'd have to agree with most of the folks here, go directly to Toyota corporate and see where that gets you (hopefully a new rig!) Depending on your state, in Cali if the dealer isn't able to fix your rig in 3 tries it's considered a lemon and I think they either have to buy it back or replace your vehicle with a new one. You should check into your state's lemon laws to see where you stand.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
I could be wrong, but aren't taxes assessed on the difference between trade-in value and price paid only?
Good point, yes if you are trading in a vehicle you only pay tax on the difference of your trade-in and the price of the vehicle. so if they are giving 20,500 for your truck and you're paying 23,500 on a new truck you'll only pay tax on 3,000 and the tag transfer fees. which really isnt much. whatever you choose, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:26 AM

Well, I think I'm going to swap out for an 04.

The title/registration issue is minor in Montana. No sales tax, $25 title fee, and registration, which was $580 last May for 12 months, so 7 months is used already.

I don't have the time to mess with taking it back for more work and/or arbitration, etc.

I also don't want someting for nothing. I did put 9000 miles on this thing and have it for 7 months. $2500 for that is pricey but I could also live with the vehicle I have.

Not losing ground on the interest rate is the cincher.

Anyway thanks for the replies. It was helpful to "talk" it through.