Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacoma A/C just average on cooling ability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma A/C just average on cooling ability?

Just wondering, this is my first summer with the truck and it takes a long time to cool down and still doesnt seem impressive by standards I've seen in other cars with more size and less tint. Just wondering if thats just the way a taco is, dont get me wrong it cools, but it seems like it coulda used more, or maybe I need to get it checked. Its a 2001 xtracab with 52K miles and dark tint.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:31 PM

Should be cold. Most probably a small leak in the system. Time to take it in for new seal/seals and a recharge.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

It is quite possible the a/c system has a problem, unfortunately there really isn't a way to tell until you look at charge level, high and low side pressures, how much air you have in your system, etc. Remember though that heat exchanging is being conducted here and where it occurs is at the condensor. If you are sitting in traffic, don't expect much efficiency until you start moving and get that ram air flowing across the condensor coils.

As a rule, it's a good idea to run your a/c like every two weeks, some say everyweek. Even during winter times, by doing so, you help lubricate seals that otherwise would bust from drying up because no lube has circulated to them. A/C systems take a substantial amount of pressure (high ranges from 180-240 psi) so imagine if a seal is ill lubricated and you go to turn on the a/c system and the presure builds up to that amount. That's how a good amount of leaks develop.

Last edited by Mohamed; 07-14-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tips, I might take it into the toyo dealer and get one of their $40 a/c checkups. Its under the 100000 mile warranty so anything over $50 is on their dime anyways if somethings broken.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:46 PM

best advice i ever got:

run your ac system once a week for a couple minutes to get the system lubed up... even when it's 0 degrees outside...
Old 07-14-2004, 03:20 PM

i'm not impressed by my AC at all
Old 07-14-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by nags
i'm not impressed by my AC at all
Me either... my '99 Dodge Diesel P/U was ice cold compared to my '99 Runner. I have 50k miles on my Runner.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 PM

in my 90 4runner's sales brochure, they have a picture of a cup in front cup holder and the caption, "use the a/c to keep your drinks chilled..."

or something to that effect... lol..............
Old 07-14-2004, 05:11 PM

My 98 stunk too. My buddy is a mechanic and cranked up the pressure with more R-134. Probably not the right thing to do but It's awesome now. He's a Ford mechanic so he's used to working on A/C systems!!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Mine sucks too! It got to over 100 degrees today here in SoCal (yeah, lucky it's a dry heat ) and had the AC on high for about 10 minutes and it only stayed cool. Methinks it's time for a recharge; haven't had any maintenance done to the AC since I bought in in 9/98.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 PM

I have a 99 with 49K on it. I notice a huge difference in the A/C from city driving to freeway driving. In the city, it is OK. On the freeway it gets COLD after about 10 minutes.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:39 PM
lee
Contributing Member

try turning the recirculated air button on... thats what i do, and it makes it SO much colder.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

My AC is frigid. And guess where I live?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
Mine sucks too! It got to over 100 degrees today here in SoCal (yeah, lucky it's a dry heat ) and had the AC on high for about 10 minutes and it only stayed cool. Methinks it's time for a recharge; haven't had any maintenance done to the AC since I bought in in 9/98.

Ditto.
Sad to say but our Fords at work come out ICE cold! *brrrr*
I don't like using my recirc button - I find that the mildewy smell is more likely to occur when I use A/C with that. Even if I shut it off and try to let the condensation dry out a few miles before I get where I'm going.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:13 PM

My next door neighbor has a Tacoma double cab and he said the same thing- A/C is not that great. They have a Ford Focus and it is much better in that department.

I notice my A/C is colder when I accelerate than when I am sitting at idle... I think it all has to do with the ozone friendly refridgerants?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
I notice my A/C is colder when I accelerate than when I am sitting at idle... I think it all has to do with the ozone friendly refridgerants?
Um look at my post above: here I'll help you out.

Remember though that heat exchanging is being conducted here and where it occurs is at the condensor. If you are sitting in traffic, don't expect much efficiency until you start moving and get that ram air flowing across the condensor coils.
The bigger condensor you have, the more heat load you can transfer out, it's the same thing as your coolant, a bigger radiator allows you to tranfer more heat out of the engine, via coolant. Same principle is being applied to refrigerant, at the evaporator (coils inside your rig) refrigerant is going through a phase change, much the same as water does when it gets heated. Refrigerant enters the condensor as a low pressure liquid, and exits as a low pressure vapor (like water going to steam), the refrigerant simple absorbs the heat sort of speak and in the process changes states. It is then pumped as a high pressure vapor via the compressor and enters the condensor (the coils just in front of the radiator) as such, where inside because it is under high pressure, it is able to change states back into a high pressure liquid. Although there is usually an auxillary fan to help simulate ram air, it is still much more efficiently changed back to a liquid through means of ram air, when you are driving, especially noticeable at freeway speeds. Where it becomes restricted is through something called a TXV or thermal expansion valve where it then becomes a low pressure liquid, just prior to entering the evaporator and repeating the cycle again.

GM, some Chrysler-Dalmer, and some Fords instead use an OT or orifice tube to cause restriction, in that case an accumulator is used instead of a reciever-dryer...both designed to remove air and moisture through means of a dessicant, the accumulator has the advantage of it's name and that is to accumulate excess refrigerant, flooding the evaporator is not efficient, nor good for the compressor either.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:39 PM

Um ok Mohamed, did you hear that? It's the sound of no one giving a damn! j/k (stole that one from the insult dog on conan)
Old 07-15-2004, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ElwayLite
Just wondering, this is my first summer with the truck and it takes a long time to cool down and still doesnt seem impressive by standards I've seen in other cars with more size and less tint. Just wondering if thats just the way a taco is, dont get me wrong it cools, but it seems like it coulda used more, or maybe I need to get it checked. Its a 2001 xtracab with 52K miles and dark tint.
The AC in the Tacos is mediocre at best. Recirculated air plus level 4 for a few minutes to take the edge off.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SlimTacoma
I have a 99 with 49K on it. I notice a huge difference in the A/C from city driving to freeway driving. In the city, it is OK. On the freeway it gets COLD after about 10 minutes.
Yeah, mine will run you out of there on the interstate on high, but sitting in bumper to bumper at noon high just keeps you from sweating. Maybe I just got used to those darn american cars, my saturn is freezing me out in bumper to bumper in like 10 minutes. But if the design makes it last longer like Mohammed said, then I'm all for it.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:17 AM

I have no complaints about the A/C on my '98 Taco, but then again maybe that's just because I went for about 9 years without any A/C at all.... :-P

Quick Reply: Tacoma A/C just average on cooling ability?