Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

taco dash rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taco dash rattle.

in my 01 tacoma I am starting to get a dash rattle.... i have seen several posts for this.... is there a recall or service bulliten?? will the dealership fix it?? whats the deal with all the dash rattles?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

I've got some rattles in my dash as well. I think getting a dealer to fix these types of things is a crap shoot. What I hear most of the time is no they wont fix it.

I have one that I think is coming from my passenger airbag however and next time I go in I'm going to insist they look over the airbag components.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I had a rattle on my 98 Limited. I solved it myself by pushing on the left side (by the vent) until the whole dash snapped back into place. Apparently it had come loose, causing a slight rattle.

Just an idea.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM

im trying that pushing the dash thing, i have a rattle in my dash to, happend after i went over some washboard roads so i think the dash may have just rattled out of place, sense mine is a 98 limited, i hope this will solve

later
wade
Old 01-09-2004, 05:07 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=dash+squeak

This has been talked about recently. I had mine fixed by the dealer.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 AM

I had heard theres a SERVICE BULLETIN on this matter. I asked about it at a dealer (Service department) and the man there confermed:YES. Though he also said to have it complied with at the dealers expence, the vehicle must still be under WARRANTY.

Check it out. Might be encouraging.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:55 AM

obxfishn

My 02 had a recall on a dash rattle. Every bump I hit it sounded like screws were coming loose under my dash. The dealer had a retro kit for these dash rattles. It was basically a foam kit that was installed somewhere under my dash. Hope this helps..
Old 01-10-2004, 08:47 PM

toyota was stupid and used plastic clips to hold the dash in.. after awhile they get all crackety n what not.. the dash isnt coming loose.. just the plastic startin to rattle it.. there is a service bulletin on it.. i need to bring it in to get it fixed
Old 04-05-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Darx
I've got some rattles in my dash as well. I think getting a dealer to fix these types of things is a crap shoot. What I hear most of the time is no they wont fix it.

I have one that I think is coming from my passenger airbag however and next time I go in I'm going to insist they look over the airbag components.
OK, this came up over on TTORA and more information was provided that will be of interest. A link to customtacos is also below.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde..._v2&id=134&c=6

The link below is for a PDF of the actual Toyota TSB for the Tacoma dash rattle.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...rattle_tsb.pdf

When I contacted my dealer about having the TSB done, they wanted $300! You will note over at the customtacos link a tech provided another option to fix this problem. Quoted below.

dash rattle easier than the official toyota tsb
After doing about 10 of these tsbs I set out to find an easier way. Here it is Start off by tapping the dash at the left side of the passenger airbag to verify that is where the noise originates. After this remove the glove box, then remove the upper cover for the glove box you will have to take the screw out of the latch striker. slide the airduct behind the glove box out. Next make sure the battery is disconnected( I have done it without this step But do so at your own risk) Remove the 2 bolts holding the pass. airbag to the steel dash frame. Remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the airbag cover to the airbag(you may need a universal for the 10mm socket) Now bend the steel piece that is in front of the airbag just enough to remove the airbag assy. (dont worry it will bend back without breaking) Now take 2 cable ties or one long one and strap the steel dash reinforcement to the steel piece that runs along the dash pad. This is along the left side of where the airbag was. Now pull the cable tie snug while watching the top of the dash. Just watch the top of the dash near the defrost vent and make sure you dont pull too tight or you will make a noticable bend in the dash at that area. Doing this will pull the dash pad down and make it touch the defroster vent silencing the noise. Now put it all back together and go for a test drive. This has never failed for me and I have been doing it for a while. If I do it under warranty I will fix it Toyotas way. If it is customer pay I do it this way and save my customers some money. Have fun and watch out for some of the metal under there cause it will cut you.
I did the cable tie fix today and it worked!

You will need a 1/4" socket set and universal joint. Several extensions are also required.

Disconnection of the battery is absolutely required. The airbag is very happy where it is. Removal required much twisting and turning. Your handsome face will be inches from the bag and an unintentional detonation would be painful.

After pulling down the cable ties nice and tight, I put LocTite on all the bolts and screws as I reassembled everything.

Be careful of the sharp edges under there. I cut myself pretty good during the job.

If you are out of warranty, I recommend this fix. It works!