Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tack Welding axle bearing retainer? HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tack Welding axle bearing retainer? HELP ASAP

I dropped my vehicle off to have the ring and pinion looked at and the pinion nut tightened. I had a nasty little vibration for some time now and thought something was wrong.

While in the shop they replaced axle bearing and axle seals, pinion seal and pinion bearing, shimmed the crap out of the R&P because it was setup wrong some time ago.

Picked up the truck the 1st time and puked the gear oil out of the snout ,,,,,,it did drive smooth as glass prior to puking. Dropped it off,,,,apparently Toyota gave them the wrong seal (?).

Picked it up again and some crap about the snap rings not seating because of the bearing depth and they had to tack weld the retainer in place.....is that a normal instance or is it possible they have used the wrong bearing.

Needless to say picked it up this time drove off and now I have a weird grinding noise and puked gear oil on the passenger side tire as a result of a failed axle seal.....

kinda over this place as it did have potential.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't sound normal to me bud. I believe you may have answered your own question.. Maybe someone else can chime in
Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They tack welded the retainer? What hacks! They just destroyed your axle. Sounds like either the wrong bearing or it was improperly installed. I hope you don't ever need to replace the bearing again! I'd be looking to get my money back and I would want them to pay for replacement axles. And whatever else they screwed up. Then find a better shop and have it done properly.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It sounds to me like an attempt to repair something that should of just been replaced.

Not being there and not seeing this axle housing hard call to make.

I would of explained your options

How much communication was there between the shop and you during this job??

Then not knowing just what your instructions may have been??

I have heard all to often in the past and now ignore Get it fixed running etc no matter what.

If I had lost a snap ring which i do quite often they seem to go spring and fly off never to be seen till months later.

I see nothing wrong with tacking the bearing retainers on and have done so on my own stuff . Because of the flying snap ring.

No way would I do it to another persons vehicle without telling and explaining it.

This just sounds like a train wreck from the start.