Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sway-Aways: Taco vs Tundra/650 vs 675 coil rate, etc??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway-Aways: Taco vs Tundra/650 vs 675 coil rate, etc??

I am considering purchasing a used set of Sway-Aways. They are a year old and in good condition. However, the seller says they are "Taco" valved and thinks the coil rate is 650. When looking at the specs on a new set of SWAs, it appears that they now all come Tundra valved and with a coil spring rate of 675. I also saw something posted about the newer versions having a washer that I don't see on the year old set.

Anyway, I have a 98 4runner with a TJM-15 (no winch yet & might never get one as long as my high-lift keeps saving my a$$), and am runing 265/75 BFGs (no, not going up to 285) & want the SAWs to level out (I have a coil lift on now but rear is much higher than front):

-Do I need or want the higher valving & spring rate?

-Can't I just adjust the vavling anyway even though valved taco now?

-Anybody know what this washer thing is on the newer version?

-Besides the spanner wrench, anything else I should be looking at or for?

-Do your valves have caps on them to keep stuff out?

-Feel free to add anything else you want concerning buying used. thx,

newbieeeeeee
Old 08-11-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about the different spring rate. Stay with 650 unless you use them for a while and don't like the ride. I'm probably the only person that has changed the SAW springs to Eibach 600 ppi since 650 is too stiff to fully compress the front wheels anyway. It's very disappointing that they are now going the wrong direction on the spring rate just to save themselves effort.

It's possible to change the shock valving yourself, but it's not simple. Very few people have even tried it themselves. It's much easier to send to it SAW and pay them to revalve it, which.

I've used both the Taco and Tundra valving on my SAW's. The Taco valving is ideal for people without a front aftermarket bumper or other extra weight up front. I'd recommend that you get the Tundra valving. You should contact www.swayaway.com and ask them how much they charge to get them re-valved.

Make sure the seller gives you the spanner wrench since SAW has been including a cheapo one with these for a year and a half now. The early ones didn't come with a spanner wrench. You can buy a decent one for $20-30 though.

Yes the valves have caps on them.

If they came off a Taco the valves are probably fine. But if they came off a 4Runner, make sure the valves haven't been sheared off, drilled out, and re-tapped. It's incredibly easy to shear off the valves due to the larger brake calipers on 4Runners. If yours came with the 16" wheels, then you MUST mount them with the schraeder valves pointing away from the wheels. I sheared off my valves 3 times even with the newer "recessed" valves before I figured it out. SAW is WRONG on this topic in their directions. Their directions only apply to Tacos and they refuse to change their wording to apply to 4Runners with 16" wheels.