Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swapping gauges clusters (1st Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapping gauges clusters (1st Gen)

IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!

I just did it today. If you have a good cluster it is a really easy swap.

I put the SR5 cluster with the tach in place of my dlx one. All the plugs are the same and the speedo cable works as well.

I ran into a couple of dilemmas.

First, I went to all the trouble of adjusting the new speedo to match the old mileage. This is not necessary. All you do is simply Unscrew the bottom tripodometer off of the new speedo, unscrew both odometers and simply switch them, put back the tripodometer and you're done.

Second problem was I got it all together and went for a test run. My speedo was making grinding noises and not moving correctly. So I opened it up and went to move the main shaft, it was definitiely messed up. So I looked at my old speedo without the trip (It worked fine). The only difference is a small gear that is riveted to the speedo. SO I smashed the rivet and worked it out of the new speedo. Once it was out I somehow manage to squeeze it into the hole on the tripless speedo. Put all the stuff on that speedo, dropped it together and it works!!!! In hindsight I would have just gone to the junkyard and grabbed a new speedo mechanism froma tripodometer equipped truck, would have saved some headache. But I got it to work.

So for those of you who want a tach. Screw the aftermarket stuff and get a stock cluster. Super easy.

The only thing that takes extra work is the oil pressure gauge. Something needs to be screwed into the motor. I don't care so I didn't do it.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet!!! I am planning on tackling this one soon!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
How do you secure the back of the gauge cluster housing to the dash? Mine rattles and comes loose so I have to stuff it back in there from time to time...and I was wondering what exactly is supposedly holding it in place. Pics would be great!

Old 03-10-2005, 07:12 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=22re+redline

Hope that helps. I didn't see it until after I did the mod. I hope I didn't blow my oil gauge, I turned my car on with the stock sending unit.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by deathrunner
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=22re+redline

Hope that helps. I didn't see it until after I did the mod. I hope I didn't blow my oil gauge, I turned my car on with the stock sending unit.
That is an AWESOME thread/write-up...I gotta add that one to the list, I already have that gauge cluster, I just need some new lights for sure as I have several burnt out or just missing altogether it seems.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

You guys are talking about swaping the analog guage clusters right? The digital ones are totally different... :cry: (just lost a bid by $1 for a digital one.. now I gotta cut cables to put my old analog guage in)
Old 03-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!

I just did it today. If you have a good cluster it is a really easy swap.

I put the SR5 cluster with the tach in place of my dlx one. All the plugs are the same and the speedo cable works as well.

I ran into a couple of dilemmas.

First, I went to all the trouble of adjusting the new speedo to match the old mileage. This is not necessary. All you do is simply Unscrew the bottom tripodometer off of the new speedo, unscrew both odometers and simply switch them, put back the tripodometer and you're done.

Second problem was I got it all together and went for a test run. My speedo was making grinding noises and not moving correctly. So I opened it up and went to move the main shaft, it was definitiely messed up. So I looked at my old speedo without the trip (It worked fine). The only difference is a small gear that is riveted to the speedo. SO I smashed the rivet and worked it out of the new speedo. Once it was out I somehow manage to squeeze it into the hole on the tripless speedo. Put all the stuff on that speedo, dropped it together and it works!!!! In hindsight I would have just gone to the junkyard and grabbed a new speedo mechanism froma tripodometer equipped truck, would have saved some headache. But I got it to work.

So for those of you who want a tach. Screw the aftermarket stuff and get a stock cluster. Super easy.

The only thing that takes extra work is the oil pressure gauge. Something needs to be screwed into the motor. I don't care so I didn't do it.
do you know if an sr5 cluster out of an '89 will plug in to my '85 wiring? the '89 has a 3.0 V6, and the '85 has a 22re, is there an adjustment on the tach for 4-6 cylinders like aftermarket tachs, thanks, Steve.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CBIguy
do you know if an sr5 cluster out of an '89 will plug in to my '85 wiring? the '89 has a 3.0 V6, and the '85 has a 22re, is there an adjustment on the tach for 4-6 cylinders like aftermarket tachs, thanks, Steve.
Look at that link in the post several ones up...guy talks about your question there....

Old 04-08-2023, 08:06 AM

I want to do this to my 88 4Runner...what do we need to add to make the tach work and the oil pressure? Is there a harness that needs to be purchased? I found a decent cluster locally and I want to make the switch