Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swap an oem E-Locker into an '02 Sport - Possible??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Swap an oem E-Locker into an '02 Sport - Possible??

I know the old saying, "Anything's possible if you put your mind to it", but realistically, is swapping a toyota e-locker from a '97 4Runner into an '02 Sport possible? Does the labor and cost involved out weigh the benefits? Granted, time and cost are not a big conern, but rather wiring the e-locker itself to properly to function within the vehicle. I have access to an elocker (including the entire rear axle) and all the necessary wiring & misc parts from a '97 Limited that came factory w/ one.

The axle would be a straight swap, but what about the wiring? I highly doubt toyota would have pre-wired my '02 Sport for an elocker that it was not designed to have. Thus leading me to believe, not all the wiring will be just plug-n-play.

Waskillywabbit mentioned that the locker control is in the 4WD ECU and that I would have to swap the black box from the '97 in order for the locker to work on the OEM wiring in my '02. Question is, does anyone know if it would swap to an '01 or '02 4Runner successfully?

Djsixbillion recently mentioned he is half way thru the process of installing an elocker into his own '97 4Runner...just having finished the axle swap last week. He's still got the wiring to do. However, he is swapping one into a '97, not an '02.

A link found on Steve's site has some good information too: http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

I will admit, I have only skimmed over that write up, but I just thought I would post first and see if anyone has made the swap to a newer 01/02 Sport before.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to have a manually locked rear diff, are they a huge PITA?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Not sure what you're asking here...

Are you asking if a selectable locker like an ARB would work? If so, then yes, an ARB would work just fine on an '02.

Or are you talking about a Detroit locker or similar?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Just talked to Steve...I was unaware of the differences in axles:

First off, the axle IS NOT a direct swap. 96-00s are physically different
than 01-02s. You will have to retrofit the 3rd to your '02 axle tube.

If it were me, it would be cheaper if I did it myself b/c I can do the fab work. If you can't, then an ARB may be better. It has to be precise as well, If not done right, if will definitely leak.

I retrofited a Tacoma '01 E-Locker into my 1990 pickup. The wiring is a piece
of cake...the least of your concerns. -Steve

Anyone else willing to offer some more input?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-23-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Well you can manually engage and disengage the e-locker diff, and some company made a cable kit to convert it to manual locking, but the cable stretched and would need constant readjusting.

try this wiring kit.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...w_products.htm

e-locker wiring harness,

whats different about the 97 axle, the only thing i can see is the brakes.

Last edited by crolison; 07-23-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Difference in brakes:

Brake line bracketry, one has two lines other has one also parking brake
bracket on the axle is completely different to hold other items. -Steve
Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Downey is the company that makes a cable actuator kit for the e-locker, but I've heard negative things about it as well. As for the electronics, I'll be getting my truck back tonight and may start fiddling with the wiring for the locker. There are only 6 wires from the harness that plugs into the locker, so it's not really that big of a deal. I know, famous last words...

Rock Slide, in your case you might want to consider just buying an e-locked third member and modifying your axle housing to accept it. I think that's talked about on the Sonoran Steel site as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Not sure what you're asking here...

Are you asking if a selectable locker like an ARB would work? If so, then yes, an ARB would work just fine on an '02.

Or are you talking about a Detroit locker or similar?
Well something like a Detroit locker I guess, I'm not even sure how the different lockers operate. And I'm no help in this thread.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM

why screw with an ecu

get the locker and wire it yerself with your own wiring
and use a switch. also have the same switch deactivate
ABS at the same time

just don't
lock it when you shouldn't
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

eLocker retrofit.

Maybe I can answer a few ?'s

1) the rear axle from a '97 will fit with out problems.
2) The Locker ECU from the '97 WILL NOT be a plug and play option. The eLocker was discontinued in '99. '01's and '02's got the active track (atrack) traction control system and the wiring is completely different. You can make it work with a home brew ECU.
3) This is the biggie, the donor elocker axle MUST come from pre '01 Runner that was equipped with rear anti-lock brake system that had the wheel speed sensors on each rear wheel.

The only years that I know of that had both the eLocker and dual rear wheel sensors were '99 and '00 and they are vary rare.

Check the donor axle out of the '97 and if you see the sensors mounted on the axle tube behind the backing plate then you're good to go, but I have a hunch you'll be disappointed.

Trying to use the axle w/o the sensors will be a nightmare. In '01&'02 the vehicle speed is picked up by all 4 wheel sensors and the signal is sent to the ABS ECU. The signal is sent from there to the speedometer and on to the engine management ECU. With out the signal from the rear wheels your Speedometer won't work and your ABS, ATrack, VSC and engine ECU will all go into limp home mode. There is no way to safely defeat the system without causing down stream problems.

Cutting and welding on the '02 axle to fit the eLocker 3rd and activating with a home brew ECU would be the best option.

Last edited by Jake94; 07-23-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:35 AM

I know that someone has a write up out there about using relays to activate the locker instead of the ECU.

If you decide to do something else I'll take the locker and housing off your hands.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jake94
Maybe I can answer a few ?'s

1) the rear axle from a '97 will fit with out problems.
2) The Locker ECU from the '97 WILL NOT be a plug and play option. The eLocker was discontinued in '99. '01's and '02's got the active track (atrack) traction control system and the wiring is completely different. You can make it work with a home brew ECU.
3) This is the biggie, the donor elocker axle MUST come from pre '01 Runner that was equipped with rear anti-lock brake system that had the wheel speed sensors on each rear wheel.

The only years that I know of that had both the eLocker and dual rear wheel sensors were '99 and '00 and they are vary rare.

Check the donor axle out of the '97 and if you see the sensors mounted on the axle tube behind the backing plate then you're good to go, but I have a hunch you'll be disappointed.

Trying to use the axle w/o the sensors will be a nightmare. In '01&'02 the vehicle speed is picked up by all 4 wheel sensors and the signal is sent to the ABS ECU. The signal is sent from there to the speedometer and on to the engine management ECU. With out the signal from the rear wheels your Speedometer won't work and your ABS, ATrack, VSC and engine ECU will all go into limp home mode. There is no way to safely defeat the system without causing down stream problems.

Cutting and welding on the '02 axle to fit the eLocker 3rd and activating with a home brew ECU would be the best option.

All I can add is a bow down Smilie
Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 AM

I know when we swapped axles on my 96 I didn't pickup the black box from the donor vehicle. I had the harness from the axle to the body and then pickup the control harness from inchworm.

Steve knows more about hooking the wiring up since he did the work.

Don't know if that helps or not.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't you rig your brakes to work? Like take those dual lines and turn it into one with a coupler and use the older axle?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM

I'll just sell you my 99 limited with e-locker and be done with it
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
get the locker and wire it yerself with your own wiring and use a switch. also have the same switch deactivate ABS at the same time
That would probably be the best route to take. Much less hassle.

Originally Posted by Jake94
Maybe I can answer a few ?'s...

Check the donor axle out of the '97 and if you see the sensors mounted on the axle tube behind the backing plate then you're good to go, but I have a hunch you'll be disappointed..
Jake, that's for the answers. That's helps a lot.

I'll have to find out about those sensors on the donor axle too...but like you said, I'm betting they are not there...

Originally Posted by pkt1213
I know that someone has a write up out there about using relays to activate the locker instead of the ECU.

If you decide to do something else I'll take the locker and housing off your hands.
Yep, I talked to him yesterday...even saw that wiring diagram too.

Again, at this moment, I'm just tossing around the idea of installing an elocker, so nothing's set in stone. However, I do not own the elocker and all neccessary parts. I was simply given dibbs on it if I wanted it.

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
I'll just sell you my 99 limited with e-locker and be done with it
If only it was that easy
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Well, after much thought, I have decided against this mod. For the time being, I need to focus my funds on a few other smaller projects that I have been neglecting. I do not really "need" a locker right now anyway, so I can put this on the backburner for now.

Thanks for everyone for all the feedback and good info. If I ever do decide on a locker, I'll def keep the elocker in mind.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Where did you call dibs on this locker and axel at? PM me back if the person is still interested in selling it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pkt1213
Where did you call dibs on this locker and axel at? PM me back if the person is still interested in selling it.
It's mine. Rolled 97 4Runner thread.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:23 PM

my 89 hilux is double e-locked... front and rear housing were modified for the 3rd members... and my truck was wired up so i can engage my locker in 2wd, 4 high, or 4 low... not exactly sure how it's over-riden though, i use a toggle switch on my dash and then when the lock engage's the stock push button switched just light up,cuz both were wired up. then again my truck uses an older style of axle 89' 4runner rear and the stock solid axle.

overdrive