Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Suspension and brake problems, advice please.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension and brake problems, advice please.

Hey guys, I just picked up a high miles (147k) 2001 4Runner not to long ago and I'm having some trouble with the suspension and could use some advice from you guys.

1. The car bounces alot when going over bumps or when I brake.

2. Sometimes when I hit a bump or some rough pavement the entire car will shutter and the steering wheel vibrates. Sometimes it feels like I'm about to loose control of the car.

3. If I'm at low speed and i hold the brake just enough to bring the car to a slow stop, then instead of gradually slowing down the car kind of slows for a second then it goes for a second as if i let go of the brake. This "brakes on; brakes off" feel just repeats until I stop, unless I apply enough pressure to just jerk the car to a stop.

4. Over all the steering feels loose and squirrelly and the brakes feel mushy.

I'm thinking to remedy #1 I'll get some new shocks. Would new springs be overkill?

Not really sure what would cause #2. Any one have suggestions here?

For #3 I'm guessing just new pads, rotors, shoes, drums, and brake fluid would fix it.

Do you guys have any suggestions on anything else I should replace or check out?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 AM

get new steering rack bushings

springs and shocks are good to do together...may as well since you're in there already

new brakes sound good too

be sure to inspect all of your tie rods and suspension links/bushings while in there
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tark
get new steering rack bushings

springs and shocks are good to do together...may as well since you're in there already

new brakes sound good too

be sure to inspect all of your tie rods and suspension links/bushings while in there
How much do the bushings cost and are they hard to change? Do yo have a diagram showinth these bushings so i know exaclt which ones your talking about?

What are your suggestions on shocks and springs? Mostly this car drives on the street and sometimes a little off road for a camping trip.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZoomSpeed
Hey guys, I just picked up a high miles (147k) 2001 4Runner not to long ago and I'm having some trouble with the suspension and could use some advice from you guys.

1. The car bounces alot when going over bumps or when I brake.

That whole truck or mainly the back? These are set up differnt than a car and do have some bounce to them. The back on mine will bounce major when i go over a speed bump.

2. Sometimes when I hit a bump or some rough pavement the entire car will shutter and the steering wheel vibrates. Sometimes it feels like I'm about to loose control of the car.

Like was stated above check/do all of the tie rods/bushings shocks/springs ect...

3. If I'm at low speed and i hold the brake just enough to bring the car to a slow stop, then instead of gradually slowing down the car kind of slows for a second then it goes for a second as if i let go of the brake. This "brakes on; brakes off" feel just repeats until I stop, unless I apply enough pressure to just jerk the car to a stop.

Your front rotors are warped. This is a very common prob for 4runners. Mine were warped when i got it as well. I am now upgradeing them to the tundra brakes. You will need new rotors and pads at the least. And the best thing would be to do the tundra upgrade yourself.

4. Over all the steering feels loose and squirrelly and the brakes feel mushy.

Well the steering on these will never be like a car but it does sound like you need a good tune up of the whole steering rack. My brake pedel feels a little mushy for the first 1/3 push but after that it is normal. I guess that is how it is supposed to be.

I'm thinking to remedy #1 I'll get some new shocks. Would new springs be overkill?

Nope, new springs would be great if you have the $$. While you are in there it just makes sense to do them all.

Not really sure what would cause #2. Any one have suggestions here?

See above

For #3 I'm guessing just new pads, rotors, shoes, drums, and brake fluid would fix it.

I am 90% sure it is just your front brakes that are causeing the problem. But while you are at it doing the rears would not be a bad idea. You are correct in what would need to be done though.

Do you guys have any suggestions on anything else I should replace or check out?

Well just do a full tune up on everything. Plugs/plug wires/fule filter ECT....

Thanks for any insight.
See above in red

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 04-30-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
See above in red
1. The whole car, it feels like I'm going to get bounced out of my seat lol. What are my options as far shocks and springs? Mostly I'm driving around town and on the highways then occasionly off the road for some camping. So ride comfort and good handling are probably my primary concerns.

As for the springs, stock ride hieght is plenty high for my purposes. I was actually thinking of lowering it an inch to get some better handling but something about that just feels like its defeating the purpose of a 4runner. Any suggestions as far as springs?

2. I'll poke around down there. Any specfic ones I should look for other then the steering rack bushings?

3. Tundra brakes sound great. So they are pretty much a bolt on upgrade? I'll probably have to go with just some new pads and rotors for now. My searching seemed to show that the tundra upgrade doesnt fit in the 15" wheels. Any suggestions on pads and rotors?

4. Brakes feel like I have to go at least half way before i get any real braking power out of them. What does a tuneup of the steering rack include other thent he bushings?

Is there a "how-to" section for newbies like me with instructions on how to do all this stuff? Pictures are always a plus as well. lol

Thanks for your help.