Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supra MAf HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra MAf HELP

I have a 2003 Tundra V6 and I need some info on what to do
Question 1 what year supra maf do I need. 2.what controller do I need(is the Apexi S-AFC good for the Job)..3can this be done on a stock engine.4What are the benifits of this mod.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:59 PM

Leave it alone, seriously.

I am sure that the stock MAF can flow all the air the stock engine can use without a problem.

Now if you really want to go down this road you can, but I seriously doubt you will see any benifit to justify the cost.

Keep in mind that these MAFs are 5 Volt systems. Your stock one might hit 5 volts at 250-280 HP. The Supra MAF is set up for a twin turbo and it might hit 5 volts at over 600 HP. I am just guessing with these numbers, but tying to provide some kind of reference.

Now, you will have to jack the signal from that Supra MAF way up to get it in range the stock ECU is expecting to see and it is very unlikely that these piggy back devices can go that high. Now if you install larger then stock injectors, then you start bringing things into range that you can tune.

So, to do it on your engine, you are going to need to install larger then stock injectors which you simply do not need or will benifit from in any way.

All that for just a couple of HP, maybe???

Just leave it alone, and take the elbow out and get your free 6 HP.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 PM

Gadget thanks for the reply looks like this mod is a no go.Just on more question Can the Apexi S-AFC be useful on a N/A engine.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Away

Originally posted by 03TundraTRD
Can the Apexi S-AFC be useful on a N/A engine.
Not nearly as much as a device that can tune both Timing and the A/F Ratio.

The S-AFC can only change the A/F Ratio, which on your truck is locked in while in closed loop, so it won't help you driving around normally, only at WOT.

A device that can alter Timing along with modifying the WOT Fuel Maps can help you get the most the engine has to offer, although it might require you to run a higher grade of gasoline to see those benefits.

See this thread and this thread for more info.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 06-25-2003, 03:09 AM

Dr.Z thanks for the help. Another question what are the advanteges of tunning the timing and Air fuel ratio on a N/A motor opposed to just tunning the Air Fuel ratio.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Away

The advantages of modifying timing on an otherwise stock engine are such that you can maximize the power in Premium gasoline by advancing the timing to the point where you achieve maximum advance without ping. By advancing timing, you can get the flame front to hit the piston face as close to TDC as possible to exert the maximum force on the piston during the combustion stroke. This improves HP and more importantly, Torque.

Since a higher Octane gas burns more slowly and completely than gas of a lower grade, you are able to run a lot more advance and reap the maximum benefits of this type of tuning. Most vehicles aren't running the most radical timing curve when they leave the factory, even the ones designed to run Premium gas. There is usually a decent margin left in the design to extract quite a few more HP and Ft/Lbs of Torque out of the engine even if you don't go all the way to running Premium. Every engine is different, so it's nice to have a tool that let's you tune each individual engine.

Now that Summer is here and they're not serving up Oxygenated fuels at the pumps, I've switched to full-on Premium gas. I'm now able to run a full 10 degrees more Advance over the stock timing curve without a hint of ping or detonation. The truck is WAY more responsive and peppy. Surprisingly so. I am running the SMT-5. It really is worth every penny.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 06-25-2003, 06:42 PM

Dr.Z
Do you know which SMT is better for the 2003 5VZ-FE I know that the ECU's are different and the wiring is also different. but since the engine is the same I might benifit from this. Also do you know of anyone who is using this on a 2001+ motor.
I just got some cash so this will be the fist performance mod I will buy for my Tundra.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Away

There are several people using the SMT-6 on a 2001+ motor. Some are having some issues and some are not. I can use either the SMT-5 or 6 without issues.

Check the SMT thread for their progress.

I am confident all of the issues are going to be sorted out.

Dr. Z
Old 06-26-2003, 01:45 AM

Dr.Z
Thanks for all the info you have give me i am planning on getting the SMT-6 since my engine is newer, also dose this product come with detailed insructions on how to connect the wires.