Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger questions

After owning it since new in 97,I am about to start modding my tacoma. I want to purchase the TRDsupercharger.
I know alot about forced induction with turbochagers, but im not familiar with how superchargers work. How do you adjust the PSI
with the supercharger? I belive it is set to run at 7 PSI correct.
If one were to build the engine to handle more boost, how would it adjust it? With my DSM, it was a small matter of buying a boost controller.
How much boost could I run if I built the engine to handle more?
How much boost has been ran on the stock internals?

If anyone has any links to some higher modified tacomas, could you please post them?
Old 04-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

You can't really dynamically adjust the boost, not by dialling it in anyway. Instead it requires that you change out the pulley to get more or less boost.

Some folks have swapped out for a 9psi pulley, but that will require you to go with larger injectors, a larger fuel pump and likely some significant electronics to support it. A couple have claimed to have gone with an 11psi pulley, but I understand that building up the fuel delivery system to support that is serious pain and is quite expensive.

You may want to visit the TTORA and Custom Tacos sites for some research. Both have members who are seriously bitten by the performance bug and who are doing some serious research on how to squeeze more power out of the supercharger.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:17 AM

Like ANY forced induction system where boost is increased beyond recommended limits, you will need the correct fuel and ignition support. Ignition really doesn't help until you are highly modifying the system (truck or car) and it really helps in the high rpm (where superchargers become really inefficient).

Like WATRD posted, you will need to change out the pulley on the supercharger to change the boost limit. I believe the TRD supercharger is roots-based. It's pretty efficient, but does have limitations on higher boost levels (as opposed to the centrifugal superchargers). Smaller the pulley, the higher the boost level since it'll have more rotations per one revolution.

Here is a helpful link for estimations of fuel delivery based on BASF, fuel pressure, and volume:
http://www.maxcooper.com/rx7/how-to/...tem/calcs.html

It'll help to determine the maximum fuel capacity, fuel flow, and pressure required to support the maximum horsepower you plan to target.
Having access to good octane fuel (C6 race fuel or plain pump 93) will affect the detonation affect at higher boost levels.
If you plan to tune or dyno the truck, use some high octane race fuels. I believe there is a 102 octane or 98 octane unleaded fuel out there.
C6 and most higher octane fuels are leaded and can shorten the life of your emissions equipment (cat, o2 sensor, etc).

Building a piston engine to handle the boost is a bit out of my scope since I mainly do rotaries. However, you probably want to have lower compression pistons, strong rings, amd forged rods.
I'm not familiar with the Toyota V6 design. I know the Supra I6 can handle A LOT of stress and boost (even though the drivetrain can't hanlde the torque -- like most stock cars except ol' Fords).

J
Old 04-19-2003, 10:51 AM

If $ is no object...

http://www.f2uning.com/pages/1/index.htm
Old 04-19-2003, 11:23 AM

I've been trying to figure out the best manifold design for a single turbocharger 4Runner. With the stock configuration and all the bells and whistles with the Limited Edition, it's hard to find a good spot for efficient manifold design (short even length runners where the hot side of the turbo is in a "cool spot").

The twin turbo set-up in the link F2uner's site is interesting.
I'll just need a nice standalone to manage the fuel/ignition/boost control.

Maybe in a couple of years, I'll seriously consider another forced induction application for the 4Runner. For now, I think I'll put $ into the suspension and tires.

J