Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Supercharger dependeble???

Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger dependeble???

Hey guyz me wants to pick up one for my 01 taco! but not to sure if I should cause I heard it's not dependenble?? I want to buy the trd supercharger and change the spark plugs, what do you guyz know on the dependabilty of the trd supercharger??

Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

They are very dependable from everyone here that has one here. Be aware that you will have to run premium gas and possibly have to get the 7th injector kit to maintain enough fuel flow to prevent your engine from pinging. I am sure you will get some more advice shortly about it.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Eh PUKA...Wassupp Brah... Good to hear from someone from my home town...or island...??? I had the TRD supercharger on my truck for over 5 years now.. and no problems with dependability... But let me warn you , You cannot just slap that buggah on and change spark plugs.. You will need fuel modifications in order to make the Blower work properly otherwise you can kiss your engine goodbye...

But if done correctly you will be very impressed by the power she will put out... I say this from actual experience...Plan on emptying your bank account if you decide to put the Supercharger on cuz once you start you will be compelled to do more...

Here is the best link (Below) for everything you need to know about the TRD supercharger...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

Last edited by Noliwan; 07-01-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Noliwan
Eh PUKA...Wassupp Brah... Good to hear from someone from my home town...or island...??? I had the TRD supercharger on my truck for over 5 years now.. and no problems with dependability... But let me warn you , You cannot just slap that buggah on and change spark plugs.. You will need fuel modifications in order to make the Blower work properly otherwise you can kiss your engine goodbye...

But if done correctly you will be very impressed by the power she will put out... I say this from actual experience...Plan on emptying your bank account if you decide to put the Supercharger on cuz once you start you will be compelled to do more...

Here is the best link (Below) for everything you need to know about the TRD supercharger...

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm

Wow it's good to know that there are some local boyz on this forum! so you think I should get the 7th injector too ?

How long have you been in clara ?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

You have the option of the TRD 7th injector or the URD kit by Underdog Racing Development.. both kits work great...You will need to tune the fuel trims once you do get the fuel upgrades...It's not just a Plug and Play kinda thing...

I moved here to CA in 95' so that would be 10 years... man how time flies...

Oh... I grad from Campbell Ewa Beach brah... Eh no laugh K--...???
Old 07-01-2005, 10:27 PM

You have the option of the TRD 7th injector or the URD kit by Underdog Racing Development.. both kits work great...You will need to tune the fuel trims once you do get the fuel upgrades...It's not just a Plug and Play kinda thing...

I moved here to CA in 95' so that would be 10 years... man how time flies...

Oh... I grad from Campbell Ewa Beach brah... Eh no laugh K--...???
Ho'ahh thanks for putting it into perspective brah! I just got the ok from da wife to buy the damn thing but!!! now I'm not sure if I want too, das too much ÅÅÅÅ to buy, and TUNE, and I'm not that much of a motor head....just a lead foot lol ÅÅÅÅ I really want it though hehe...

Ewa!!! I'm from aiea what year you grad ? I wouldnt laugh at that nothing wrong with the desert LOL atleast you neveah have to drive to far fo surf!.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the option of the TRD 7th injector or the URD kit by Underdog Racing Development..
And the Perfect Power SMT-6.

You will need to tune the fuel trims once you do get the fuel upgrades...It's not just a Plug and Play kinda thing.
Ummm, the TRD 7th injector _is_ plug & play, you can't adjust it. The URD kit (based on the SplitSecond FTC) and the SMT solution are quite tunable.

To answer the original question, the S/C is awesome and VERY dependable. You'll need to get a rebuild kit for the nose gear about every 60,000 miles, but that's it.

The install is quick and straight-forward, the additional pieces needed (fuel pump, then either the TRD/URD/SMT solution) is a bit more involved.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=midiwall]And the Perfect Power SMT-6.

Ummm, the TRD 7th injector _is_ plug & play, you can't adjust it. The URD kit (based on the SplitSecond FTC) and the SMT solution are quite tunable.

OOOppps I forgot about the SMT also...

Most guys that I know that have the TRD 7th injector kit were running rich on their AFR's when installed and check on the Dyno-- it can be adjusted...!!! by the URD AIC--(Addtional Injector Controller) something that TRD did'nt think of when they came out with the kit... URD rocks they think of every possible solution the resolve the problem with the TRD supercharger...

Puka I grad 84' I miss the surf at Habush if you are still familiar with the area...???
Old 07-01-2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by puka
Ho'ahh thanks for putting it into perspective brah! I just got the ok from da wife to buy the damn thing but!!! now I'm not sure if I want too, das too much ÅÅÅÅ to buy, and TUNE, and I'm not that much of a motor head....just a lead foot lol ÅÅÅÅ I really want it though hehe...

Ewa!!! I'm from aiea what year you grad ? I wouldnt laugh at that nothing wrong with the desert LOL atleast you neveah have to drive to far fo surf!.

Eh Puka, I don't have a supercharger but I just wanted to say howzit and welcome to da forum.

Kalani High.......Auright!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
And the Perfect Power SMT-6.

OOOppps I forgot about the SMT also...

Most guys that I know that have the TRD 7th injector kit were running rich on their AFR's when installed and check on the Dyno-- it can be adjusted...!!! by the URD AIC--(Addtional Injector Controller) something that TRD did'nt think of when they came out with the kit
Ahh... yeah, the AIC will make the TRD adjustable, but the point being that the TRD system on it's own is _not_.

I think it's important for folks looking at adding an S/C to get a true idea of the costs involved. The TRD kit is on the safe (i.e. rich) side of PnP, so you don't "need" anything else, but there are certainly things on the market that make it better (like the AIC).
Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 AM

You got to feed the Supercharged 4runner with Premium fuel all the time at the pump. It's $2.75 a gallon here in California. That's why I am relactant to think about adding a S/C on my rig. If you can afford the gas, go ahead. but for me, I am cool with the stock engine. I will be doing some minor mods such as an free flow exhaust, the electric fan, plus other stuffs. But absolutely not considering a supercharger.

Last edited by fs8459; 07-02-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by fs8459
You got to feed the Supercharged 4runner with Premium fuel all the time at the pump. It's $2.75 a gallon here in California. That's why I am relactant to think about adding a S/C on my rig. If you can afford the gas, go ahead. but for me, I am cool with the stock engine. I will be doing some minor mods such as an free flow exhaust, the electric fan, plus other stuffs. But absolutely not considering a supercharger.
I hear this premium gas argument all the time. Premium is 10 cents more a gallan compared to the mid grade we all have to run. At 10 cent a gallon more thats a whopping $1.70 more a tank. Fill up once a week and thats less than $7 a month. Come on people the premium gas argument is not very valid.

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 07-02-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
I hear this premium gas argument all the time. Premium is 10 cents more a gallan compared to the mid grade we all have to run. At 10 cent a gallon more thats a whopping $1.70 more a tank. Fill up once a week and thats less than $7 a month. Come on people the premium gas argument is not very valid.

I run 87 octane all the time, even when pulling my 3700 lb camper at 65 mph with the a/c on and no pinging.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Are you supercharged? I don't see it in your sig.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Are you supercharged? I don't see it in your sig.
No, I assumed you weren't either since you were running 89 octane?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:50 PM

No i'm not supercharged. But my point was that alot of people use the price of premium as an excuse not to get a supercharger. The use of premium is required for the charger or ping/detonation occurs.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't know where you live but here in California, there is a big difference with gasoline price. The regular 87 octane is $2.45 and the premium 91 octane is $2.75, so there is a big difference. and for people with supercharged 4runner/ truck, they tend to be heavy foot because of the fun from the S/C and that is where the gasoline begins to burn up quicker and less fuel efficient. The bottomline is, if you can afford the current Premium gas price, you will be fine with the S/C. Or else it's better off to stick with stock engine in the long run. By the way, I use 87 all the time, that is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by fs8459; 07-02-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

No i'm not supercharged. But my point was that alot of people use the price of premium as an excuse not to get a supercharger. The use of premium is required for the charger or ping/detonation occurs.
True. You have a point though, depending on how many miles you drive the difference isn't that big between regular or premium. Guess it just depends on how bad they want a supercharger. I rode in a Tacoma that was superchared, 5spd and it was definitely fun and the power was substantially increased over a N/A motor.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hawaiian4R
Eh Puka, I don't have a supercharger but I just wanted to say howzit and welcome to da forum.

Kalani High.......Auright!

Howzit!! thanks brah

"Puka I grad 84' I miss the surf at Habush if you are still familiar with the area...???"

84 do you know a Sheldon or should I say kalani Miller? Yeah surfed habush when west side is cranking or when town is WAY overhead.

Ok so it would be alright just to put the supercharger in and change the plugs? my co-worker has been S/C since 2000 and he said he never had any problem with his taco? he said that toyota told him that the ecu self adjust for everything?? so I'm thinking the hawaiian humidity is good for the engine??...I'm just guessing here though, what do you guyz think?? I'm torn between your oppions and my co-worker...ahhhhhhhh me want it badly but don't want to F!@K ˟˟˟˟˟ up.

Last edited by puka; 07-03-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:40 AM

Toyota has always offered a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine of all vehicles that had the TRD supercharger installed by the dealership.
It only runs about 2 pounds of boost, so I wouldnt really worry about dependability issues.
The only major downside I can see is that you will probably have to start running 93 octane fuel. At .30 a gallon more, fuel costs can add up fast.
Cap'n

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger dependeble???