Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

This sucks in rush hour traffic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sucks in rush hour traffic!

I have this weird front-end vibration when I reach both 15 mph and 25 mph and I accellerate. So needless to say rush hour traffic is pain in the ass with all the stop and go. If I happen to be coasting at 15 or 25, no vibration. I do have a set of POS tires on the truck but I'm not so sure that is the problem since it only happens when I accelerate. It also happens when I'm in 4HI. I'm just worried it's something in the front drive train.

Is there anything in the front end I should check before I have my shop look at it?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:20 PM

I would just shake the tie rods and tires to see if you have a bad ball joint or TRE.

Also, check for uneven tire wear.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 85runner
I would just shake the tie rods and tires to see if you have a bad ball joint or TRE.

Also, check for uneven tire wear.

I recently had all 4 ball joints replaced, so I'm ok there. I'll check on the tie rods though. Sorry what is TRE?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:44 PM

Talking Hope this helps!

Heck I'll make this my first post, I think I can help since I just finished dealing with nearly the same problem yesterday and today. Here's how I figured out my vibration that my truck had when I acclerated from 35mph+ on up. First off my guess is that your vibration is either your front or rear driveshaft. Here's how you could possibly tell:

1. Make sure that the vibration is only felt during accleration and only then. (sounds like that is the case already, plus with 4wd on your driveshaft still is rotating)
2. Try steping on the brake and the pedal the same time so that your car does not move. (Possible Tranmisson vibration, engine vibration.) Your driveshafts do not move so this would narrow it down.

If the vibration is felt only during accleration then do this. Go beneath your truck and try pushing on each driveshaft. If any have any play at all it is possible that your universal joints are starting to show signs of significant wear.

I fixed my problem by taking my driveshaft off, very simple only 8 bolts total. I marked where the flanges met up with the transfer case and the rear diff with paint (to preserve the balance of the driveshaft). Removed the bolts and took just the driveshaft to be reworked. Put it back on after I got it back 6 hours later, greased all the fitings and zip boom bang, no more vibration.

Hope this helped, this board helped me I thought it's time to start giving back.

-Cheers-
Old 03-10-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by li_runner
I marked where the flanges met up with the transfer case and the rear diff with paint (to preserve the balance of the driveshaft).
This has absolutely no relation to the balance of the driveshaft whatsoever. The connection that has to stay aligned is the slip joint in the middle of the shaft, if the yokes are out of phase (not lined up) it will cause a vibration. Don't bother taking it in to be looked at until after you check that all the bolts are tight, and grease all the joints and the slip joint. Test drive to see if it's changed at all.

You say it's a front end vibration, do you mean you can feel it in the steering wheel? If so it's not a driveshaft. Wheel bearings loose or bad, take weght off wheel and see if it spins smoothly and see if you can rock it when you grab it top and bottom. Front halfshaft bushing/bearing is bad, grab axle shaft between CVs and see if you can move it. Loose lug nuts, tighten. Tie rod ends, see if there's any play in them. Idler arm (looks like a little steering box on the passenger side frame rail) worn or bent, check it for play and check that the center link between it and the steering box is level with the front frame crossmember. Those are what I'd check first.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:04 AM

TRE = Tie rod end.

Did the problem begin directly after the ball joints were intalled?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 85runner
TRE = Tie rod end.

Did the problem begin directly after the ball joints were intalled?
It was soon afterwards yes. Good point. I'll check on those TRE's.

Shane, I'll also see if there is any play in the Idler arm.

Thanks guys, as always some good advice on what to check out first.