Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner? Pics Added!

Well I've been wanting a Surf FMU (compass, temp, altimeter, barometer) but I haven't found one. Someone mentioned that the Subaru Forester had an optional Gauge Pack. After doing some research, It appeared that the Subaru Gauge Pack was a single DIN unit. I got lucky & found one on EBAY. Since I was installing a new radio, I installed the Gauge pack at the same time. 4 wires into the radio harness (I don't have a temp sensor yet) are all that's required. You can connect to the speed sensor, but it is not necessary. I now have a new radio & a working FMU. Since this unit was an option in the USA, It reads in Fahrenheit, Feet & Inches.... Woohoo, no conversions for me!

I will upload installed pics later.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?-gauge1.jpg   Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?-gauge-back.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 10-19-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Pics Added
Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need some installed pics!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Kewl ideal...glad it worked out for you!

Yep, need to see some pics
Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 PM

O.K. here's some installed pics. I didn't take pics during installation (sorry) but anyone that can install a radio shouldn't have any trouble. The unit is a single din & screws into the factory bracket with no modifications.

The wiring is straightforward & the unit is marked by the wiring harness. Battery, ignition, illumination & ground. The speed sensor is optional. I still need to get a temperature sensor.

Yes, I know, the head unit is very blue....

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?-005-.jpg   Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?-006-.jpg   Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?-008-.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 10-19-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: changed pics resolution
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Here's a link to Subaru's installation manual: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151
Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Here's some real pics....

Last edited by SoCalPaul; 01-04-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM

If you don't mind how much did you pay for it? thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM

That looks pretty good, i would do that, but my cb is in that spot!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM

I don't get it. What part of it will be useful in 2009?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 96redtoy
If you don't mind how much did you pay for it? thanks
I found it on Ebay for $40.00 shipped, no temp sensor.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
I don't get it. What part of it will be useful in 2009?
As far as I know, compass headings, temperature & altitude will not be changing in 2009. Do you know something I don't? To me it's another gadget. It may become superfluous when I get a GPS, but for now I like it.
Paul
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
That looks pretty good, i would do that, but my cb is in that spot!
Yeah, I was gonna put my CB there, but I may get the Cobra hand unit. It was cheap enough, if I change my mind I'm sure I could resell it later.

Paul
Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM

X2, whats happening in 2009?

except antenna users are sol, but i have comcast so i can sit back and enjoy whats on television.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
Not bad

As far as I know, compass headings, temperature & altitude will not be changing in 2009. Do you know something I don't? To me it's another gadget. It may become superfluous when I get a GPS, but for now I like it.
Paul
I like it, it's unique.

I agree, I don't think compass headings, temp & alt readings will be changing in 2009
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM

The only useful feature I see there is the outside temperature, but you said yourself, no sensor

Altitude? It's not an airplane. Barometer? Are you going to forecast weather? Compass? Get a pocket one if you expect to get lost in the Mongolian steppes.

Should have put in an 8-track in there
Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM

thanks alot I have to look into those

The only useful feature I see there is the outside temperature, but you said yourself, no sensor

Altitude? It's not an airplane. Barometer? Are you going to forecast weather? Compass? Get a pocket one if you expect to get lost in the Mongolian steppes.

Mr. Negitivity who cares if you don't like it

reasons for

Alttitude- to know how high up your in the mountains or setting up a camping spot and making sure your tent is not in the lowest spot and flood during rain

Barometer- When wheeling you will be able to predict if bad weather will be moving in before it happens or camping same purpose

Compass- you can lose the hand held one (it alot harder to lose your truck) most likley a little more accurate also

so there
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

good response, good thread, great idea. i like the addition i'm going to look into this. i want some more info on this 2009 business dailydrive, seems as though i'm missing something
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
i want some more info on this 2009 business dailydrive, seems as though i'm missing something
The "2009" bit means nothing...he was just being sarcastic stating that he didn't like the subie FMU. He just layed the sarcasm on so thick, it went over everyone's head.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Alttitude- to know how high up your in the mountains or setting up a camping spot and making sure your tent is not in the lowest spot and flood during rain
It's nowhere near accurate enough for that, plus it's easy to find a high spot with your eyes. Nobody needs navigation instruments to put down a tent.

Barometer- When wheeling you will be able to predict if bad weather will be moving in before it happens or camping same purpose
People have not used barometers for that purpose for 100 years now. For a century now people use radios to listen to meteorological broadcasts.

Compass- you can lose the hand held one (it alot harder to lose your truck) most likley a little more accurate also
Lose it? More accurate? This is just the most ridiculous thing to come up with to justify an in-dash compass.

Mr. Negitivity who cares if you don't like it
I'm not negative. This place is just really weird, the most stupid things are praised. I bet if I smear my truck with poop and post pictures of it I'll get compliments. It happened when someone smeared their truck with Herculiner.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive

I can buy a sensor, if not from Subaru, the Toyota one will most likely work, since this is from the same manufacturer as the Toyota FMU. I didn't say it was done. My vehicles are always a work in progress.

I kind of like knowing the approximate altitude, (or elevation if you want to be accurate) If you don't, who cares.

The compass is just for kicks. I have been on dirt roads at night & it's nice to know your general direction. Is it accurate? Close enough for my needs. Have you tried using a pocket compass inside your truck while driving at night? Lots of luck.

I think there may be an under dash 8 track in my mom's garage, I'll have to see if it's still there.

Paul

Quick Reply: Subaru Gauge Pack (FMU) in 4Runner?