Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stupid Battery!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid Battery!!!!

Well, today was very different for me! It started off as usual, until around 5:00 pm. I was called to a fire call. No prob. there. But after we got back, I went out to start the good old 4Runner, and click. Nothing! Tried again, click! :wtf: So I ended up having someone jump the vehicle. Cool. So I drove home and let it sit running for about 15 minutes to charge. I then turned it off and went it for some supper. Then came out to start it up to go get a new battery. Click, nothing. Damn! So I had my dad jump me! I drove all the way over to Sears, about 10 miles. I get over there, go in and buy a brand new DIEHARD Gold battery for $79.99. Very cool. What makes it even better, I got a free color that looks just like a battery...nice. Now I have something to store a 6-pack in when I turn 21 (86 days! Wahoo!). Anyways, I asked the guy if he could install it, and he said he couldn't, that they were booked up! Alright, this can't be too hard I thought. I figure that I will take it home and change it! Yeah...sure! Stupid freakin' battery would not start. Damn it!!! So here I am, changing my battery in the middle of the freakin' Sears parking lot around 7:30. People are staring at me, like I am hot-wiring the car and ready to run. So my pride is totally gone, I end up chaning it all and getting out of there with 2% of my pride left. Needless to say, it was a strange day!

Now that this weird story is over, I was going to ask, what type of battery does everyone else use!?!? I would like an Optima battery, but this was an emergency, and I am sure that the DIEHARD will be very good! Thanks! :fireman:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ryan, I have a gel cel battery I bought from the Les Schwab Tire chain.
It is the same as the Optima, but with a little higher cranking rate.

It also has the side terminal on it which I have dedicated just for the 4 guage amp wire.

Very nice battery, and it has given me no problems. I even have ran the stereo for over an hour at a time with it pushing two amplifiers, and the rig starts right up.

Old 08-14-2002, 08:17 PM

This post of batteries had me thinking so I went to check on mine because it seems to be moving around and I just put a bungee cord on it to hold it in place. I have a redtop optima and mounting needed some fabrication to make it fit.

I find the bungee cord broken, the spacer that I had in there to make things tight gone, and the only thing stopping it from falling into the radiator fan was the ground wire screwed to the fender and that was coming a part at the terminal.

Something else I have to fix better I guess? :rolleyes:
I need a bigger lip tray underneith it.

Even if you don't learn something mindshattering on the forum just bringing thoughts and ideas up can save you later on. I would have hated to be 50 miles from home and have the battery slide into the fan leaving me stranded somewhere.:cry:

Thanks Btown
:beaver:
Old 08-15-2002, 04:16 AM

This is very true. I fail to do it sometimes too. I feel as if everyone should just take 10-15 minutes to look under the hood and under the vehicle to see if everything is ok. Just inspect and see. I mean 15 minutes now could save you a whole lotta trouble down the road. Like in your case Beavah, that would have really sucked to have the battery destroy your fan far away from home. I am glad that you found that and I am glad that I could help. Goodluck fixing it! :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
This is very true. I fail to do it sometimes too. I feel as if everyone should just take 10-15 minutes to look under the hood and under the vehicle to see if everything is ok. Just inspect and see. I mean 15 minutes now could save you a whole lotta trouble down the road. Like in your case Beavah, that would have really sucked to have the battery destroy your fan far away from home. I am glad that you found that and I am glad that I could help. Goodluck fixing it! :fireman:
Ryan,

Another thing I do once in a while is to drive my truck with the radio off (it's hard to do ). I listen for noises and clunks that you normally would not hear over the radio.

Pete
Old 08-15-2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by peterbilt

Ryan,

Another thing I do once in a while is to drive my truck with the radio off (it's hard to do ). I listen for noises and clunks that you normally would not hear over the radio.

Pete
Yeah, I do that as well. I think that it helps in the same way as looking over everything! Plus you get to hear the exhaust.. ...which is always a good thing! :fireman:
Old 08-16-2002, 12:34 AM

Great ideas guy's. And you gotta secure that battery man, cause' it would really suck loosing a battery especially far away on and off the trails. Preventative maintenance always work's.....

Downey lift, 285/75R16, Weld typhoon 16x10's
Old 08-16-2002, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by M&S4X4RUNNER
Great ideas guy's. And you gotta secure that battery man, cause' it would really suck loosing a battery especially far away on and off the trails. Preventative maintenance always work's.....
Believe me, mine is not going anywhere! I bolted and tightened everything so tight I thought that the battery case was going to explode. :fireman:
Old 08-16-2002, 10:12 AM

Just a side note Btown. I hope not too tight because I have seen them crack and start to leak. The sides are the weak points.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Beavah
Just a side note Btown. I hope not too tight because I have seen them crack and start to leak. The sides are the weak points.

Oh, well, I don't think it is that tight. I will have to run out tomorrow and check. I think it is ok! Thanks for the warning. The last thing that I want to do it open up the trunk and see battery acid all over the place! :fireman: