Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Struggling with 2005 Tacoma options decision...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Struggling with 2005 Tacoma options decision...

Hola. N00b here.

I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 4x4, Double Cab Tacoma. Frankly, the Toyota dealers in Houston have left me rather disgusted in terms of assistance and I'm seeking opinions about options I am considering.

I am looking at either a Long Bed SR5 #6 (SG) or a Short Bed TRD Off-road #2 (OG) - Why I can't get a long bed OG is beyond me, but since I can't this is what I have narrowed it down to.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has driven both of these or had the same decision to make and if so, what decision you made and why you made it.

Let me put out that I am not a hard core off-roader, but I will be using the truck often for hunting in the New Mexico mountains and some of the areas back there pretty much require 4WD if you want to get in and out (especially in snow). We mainly hunt Elk, which has me leaning towards the long bed though I like some of the TRD options, and most articles I have found online seem to really give high praise to the TRD off-road package in particular.

Looking forward to hearing opinions.

Last edited by prospero63; 01-19-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Hopefully BT17R will chime in, he knows all the options. Actually I think he tested a long bed DC...

I think the main thing with TRD is the rr locker and upgraded shocks? If you need the long bed, you need the long bed so go with it I think.

For your application, a rear locker wouldn't hurt but maybe not necessary- especially if you have a few hundred pounds of elk back there helping with the traction!

Good luck and post up when you get it!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Hopefully BT17R will chime in, he knows all the options. Actually I think he tested a long bed DC...

I think the main thing with TRD is the rr locker and upgraded shocks? If you need the long bed, you need the long bed so go with it I think.

For your application, a rear locker wouldn't hurt but maybe not necessary- especially if you have a few hundred pounds of elk back there helping with the traction!

Good luck and post up when you get it!
Good deal. Yeah, One of the things I'm wondering if it doesn't just make better sense to go with the SR5 package and I can upgrade the shocks after market if I really feel like it needs it. Plus, I would get limited slip diffs (better than nothing) and I *think* I can always put an after market locking rear diff in later if I find myself needing one, yes?

Thanks for answering what are probably pretty simple questions for you guys.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by prospero63
Good deal. Yeah, One of the things I'm wondering if it doesn't just make better sense to go with the SR5 package and I can upgrade the shocks after market if I really feel like it needs it. Plus, I would get limited slip diffs (better than nothing) and I *think* I can always put an after market locking rear diff in later if I find myself needing one, yes?

Thanks for answering what are probably pretty simple questions for you guys.
The main differences between SR5 and TRD are progressive rate springs in front, better shocks and the rear e-locker. The locker is the only part that makes the package worth it IMHO.

Yes, you can add a locker later if you want. Since you need a long bed, I would get that one; then you can customize it the way you want.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by roger
Yes, you can add a locker later if you want. Since you need a long bed, I would get that one; then you can customize it the way you want.
That's kind of how I am leaning. Is there a difference between the seats on the SR5 and the TRD? Honestly, it probably doesn't matter much at this point but I'm curious about it. Does anyone know what is special about the sport seats?

Thanks again for the help (best forum I've found yet). I wish I could get this kind of help from the dealers, but oh well.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:04 AM

That's kind of how I am leaning. Is there a difference between the seats on the SR5 and the TRD? Honestly, it probably doesn't matter much at this point but I'm curious about it. Does anyone know what is special about the sport seats?

Thanks again for the help (best forum I've found yet). I wish I could get this kind of help from the dealers, but oh well.

My guess is that the SR5 comes standard with a split bench, while the sport seats would be buckets. I'm sure the TRD comes with buckets.

I should qualify this by saying that I don't know a whole lot about the option packages on the '05s. I have a 2nd gen Taco.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by roger
My guess is that the SR5 comes standard with a split bench, while the sport seats would be buckets. I'm sure the TRD comes with buckets.

I should qualify this by saying that I don't know a whole lot about the option packages on the '05s. I have a 2nd gen Taco.
Gotcha. Looking at pictures on the website it shows the following for the SR5:

And this for the TRD:

While not the same cabs I am looking to buy, it seems like they are 90% the same, with maybe better/deeper sides on the sport seats.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

I myself am considering getting an xrunner b/c I drive way too much and too far every day for my poor ol' runner that also gets horrible milage. I was actually looking into getting a ScionTC and keeping the runner too but, I like the idea of getting a truck and going crazy with the runner or sell it and get a 1st gen. and go crazy with that. I want something more reliable and fun to drive plus a warrenty. Anyway, now that you know my life story... I was looking at the backseat of the crew cab and I just don't understand it. Unless you have small kids that have perfect posture, those back seats are next to useless. Too bad the xrunner only comes in the extended cab. I'd rather have the 4Door or reg cab. Oh well, what can you do?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
I myself am considering getting an xrunner b/c I drive way too much and too far every day for my poor ol' runner that also gets horrible milage. I was actually looking into getting a ScionTC and keeping the runner too but, I like the idea of getting a truck and going crazy with the runner or sell it and get a 1st gen. and go crazy with that. I want something more reliable and fun to drive plus a warrenty. Anyway, now that you know my life story... I was looking at the backseat of the crew cab and I just don't understand it. Unless you have small kids that have perfect posture, those back seats are next to useless. Too bad the xrunner only comes in the extended cab. I'd rather have the 4Door or reg cab. Oh well, what can you do?
Beleive it or not, the seats in at least the 04 aren't that uncomfortable and when I sat in the ones for the 05 I didn't find them that bad either. Now the extended cab... that's a whole other story...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM

sounds like a good plan. It's the best value to go that way too.
Yeah I sat iin the sport seats and like them but I like the regular seats too- mostly I just like the looks of the sport seats but I think the SR5 is going to do you right.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
sounds like a good plan. It's the best value to go that way too.
Yeah I sat iin the sport seats and like them but I like the regular seats too- mostly I just like the looks of the sport seats but I think the SR5 is going to do you right.
Yeah. Plus, I can keep my eye on the junk yard for people totalling their ORD's and I might be able to pick the seats off. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to swap them out if I got the desire...

Thanks for all the advice guys... now to haggle over prices and trade in...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I understand that the TRD package runs something like $3,000. Good luck on talking them down. Over here they are going for sticker price. Saw 2 people walk out because they would not budge on the price.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
I understand that the TRD package runs something like $3,000. Good luck on talking them down. Over here they are going for sticker price. Saw 2 people walk out because they would not budge on the price.
Well, I'd be trading my vette (which I don't really want to) and I don't *need* a new car, so if I can't get what I want it won't be too difficult to walk.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a new '04 TRD and replaced the oem "Bilsteins" with Bilstein HDs within 150 miles. The oem shocks were way too soft-totally different shocks. At least I got $115. for the oem shocks on ebay
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tacotex
I bought a new '04 TRD and replaced the oem "Bilsteins" with Bilstein HDs within 150 miles. The oem shocks were way too soft-totally different shocks. At least I got $115. for the oem shocks on ebay
Being in Houston (I am too) do you have any dealers you would recommend? I'm in the Sugarland area, but don't mind travelling for a good deal. TIA.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought mine at Don McGill of Katy, but just by chance. The wife works near there and they just happened to have gotten a few '04s when everyone else was sold out of 'em. The '05s are great, just bigger than I wanted.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
prospero,

a warm welcome to ya, noob! i have not a clue as to what options to get, but if i were to buy an 05, id definitely get the double cab long bed version w/ the TRD package. i always disliked the short truck beds of the previous tacoma body style. as they say, 'you might as well have it all'

also, great bulldogs on your website! you and bulldog-yota have something in common. im almost convinced that i want to get a happy, slobbery bulldog in the near future

bob
Old 01-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
prospero,

a warm welcome to ya, noob! i have not a clue as to what options to get, but if i were to buy an 05, id definitely get the double cab long bed version w/ the TRD package. i always disliked the short truck beds of the previous tacoma body style. as they say, 'you might as well have it all'
Thanks. Want to know the kicker? You can't (apparently) get the TRD off-road package (you can the sport, but I can't get the color I want in the sport package) with the double cab long bed - or that's *exactly* what I would do too!! I wish someone could explain Toyota's logic on that decision, but I don't think it's coming...

also, great bulldogs on your website! you and bulldog-yota have something in common now. im almost convinced that i want to get a happy, slobbery bulldog in the near future

bob
Best dogs EVAR!!! Bulldogs are high maintenance, so I wouldn't get them unless you can spend the time dealing with their various "issues" (i.e. nose folds getting dirty, keeping their ears clean, etc.) but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. In fact, I'm going to get the leather interior specifically for them, as it will be easier to clean than the cloth interior.

BTW, kudos on a good forum here. The other Toyota forums I found were... well... kind of uptight. I like a more laid back atmosphere.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Want to know the kicker? You can't (apparently) get the TRD off-road package (you can the sport, but I can't get the color I want in the sport package) with the double cab long bed - or that's *exactly* what I would do too!! I wish someone could explain Toyota's logic on that decision, but I don't think it's coming...
Is that right?!? Good grief, Toyota. Are you sure its not a Gulf States Toyota thang? I don't know if you know, but in your neck of the woods, Toyota vehicles are not distributed by Toyota Motor Sales USA. Its done by GST, a distributorship. They have alot of goofy "Port Add ons" that alot of people complain about b/c it artificially raises the price vs. what you can get in other states. This is probably not the case here, but it might be...might be worth investigating and looking at purchasing out of state (if you wont incur any penalties by doing so)

Also, contact YT member "HaveBlue". He works in a credit union car financing dept in Colorado (at least thats what I remember). See what he can do for you.

Best dogs EVAR!!! Bulldogs are high maintenance, so I wouldn't get them unless you can spend the time dealing with their various "issues" (i.e. nose folds getting dirty, keeping their ears clean, etc.) but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. In fact, I'm going to get the leather interior specifically for them, as it will be easier to clean than the cloth interior.
Yeah, Bulldog-yota said the same. But how can you resist a bulldog! My wife's cat has other issues, namely cat fur everywhere. Rug, carpet, clothes, etc. Not to mention, he humps all the blankets and pillows if we don't cover them. Sick perverted cat!

BTW, kudos on a good forum here. The other Toyota forums I found were... well... kind of uptight. I like a more laid back atmosphere.
We aim to please. We got a great community here. Glad you found us.

Also, cool avatar. Though I'm sure my wife has fantasies of acting that avatar scene out when we disagree about husband/wife stuff!

Bob
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Is that right?!? Good grief, Toyota. Are you sure its not a Gulf States Toyota thang? I don't know if you know, but in your neck of the woods, Toyota vehicles are not distributed by Toyota Motor Sales USA. Its done by GST, a distributorship. They have alot of goofy "Port Add ons" that alot of people complain about b/c it artificially raises the price vs. what you can get in other states. This is probably not the case here, but it might be...might be worth investigating and looking at purchasing out of state (if you wont incur any penalties by doing so)
I'm not 100% sure, but I have a buddy from another forum that works for a dealer in Indiana and he said the same thing. In fact, he is who caught it - the dealers here were telling me I could do it, then when I went back to them they said "oh, you wanted a long bed, we thought you said short bed".

Also, contact YT member "HaveBlue". He works in a credit union car financing dept in Colorado (at least thats what I remember). See what he can do for you.
Will do!!

Yeah, Bulldog-yota said the same. But how can you resist a bulldog! My wife's cat has other issues, namely cat fur everywhere. Rug, carpet, clothes, etc. Not to mention, he humps all the blankets and pillows if we don't cover them. Sick perverted cat!

We aim to please. We got a great community here. Glad you found us.

Also, cool avatar. Though I'm sure my wife has fantasies of acting that avatar scene out when we disagree about husband/wife stuff!

Bob

Quick Reply: Struggling with 2005 Tacoma options decision...