Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Street Scene Grill

Old 02-18-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street Scene Grill

Hey guys Im new here. I just got a 99 SR5 4runner Highlander 5spd. 2 weeks ago and i find this forum VERY interesting and helpful.

With that out of the way i have a question. Does anyone have the street scene grill on their 4runner? I dont know if it would be a different grill for the different years but i was wondering if I ordered one if it would come in two peices, one for above the toyota emblem and one below. I saw a picture of the grill and it was one peice. Im not sure if this was the exact grill they would ship though. Do they make a bumper insert?
While we are at it if anyone knows any different grilles out there on the market im always open to different options.

Thanks alot and i look forward to posting more later on as i become more familiar with my recent vehicle purchase.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:46 PM

Welcome:

As far as I know from talking with the peeps who make the street scene grill. They aren't available yet but will be soon. They also are only making the (2) piece inserts for the grill for the '99-'00 and nothing for the lower valance. Grille Craft was making the grill and lower valance pieces for awhile for around $225 for the complete set, but as far as I know they stopped making them. Trenz also stopped making their billet grill for the 4 Runner. Jaos still has a billet grill that fits '96-'02. Performance Products is now offering a mesh grill for the '99-'00 but just for the grill. Some(like myself) just make a mesh grill for ourselves for about $10. Here's a couple of pics of what I made:

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...hoto&PhotoID=8

http://groups.msn.com/2000SR5ToyotaT...hoto&PhotoID=9

Also, here's a link to a write up here on YotaTech by jacksonpt:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...lle/grille.htm

Paul :fireman:
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 PM

Thanks man. I was looking through the members ride section last night i came across your ride. It is the official role model for my truck. One day mine will look similar.
I made a grill on my last truck (Chevy Z71 on 38.5's) but i didnt like the stuff i bought to make the grill. It didnt look quite like yours so i wanted to stay away from that but who knows, i might get bored one day *cough* this weekend *cough*.

I might be wrong but it looks like on the upper grill that the material bulges out in stead of laying flat against the stock grill. This is the look i want. How did you do that?

Last edited by ssbogger; 02-18-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the remarks!

The mesh comes with a slight bend in it to begin with. I just kept the bend since it fit well with the opening. I did cut the mesh about 1/4" larger than the opening so I could "bend" the ends over so it looked more "finished" and not showing any sharp edges. I actually just sold that grill in the pics and I'm currently working on something else that I should have ready to mount in about a week. I'll take pics and post when my new grill is ready.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:26 AM

Hey Paul. That is the best 'home-made' grille insert I have seen. Nice work. I saw the Grille Craft 2 piece for the '99 when they first came out...I snoozed and now...no more...wonder why? Can't wait to see your next grille work. I saw a Japan Surf with a ''98 grille shell, blacked out mesh, and the old LC Toyota emblem in the center...looked awesome.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Thanks for the remarks!

The mesh comes with a slight bend in it to begin with. I just kept the bend since it fit well with the opening. I did cut the mesh about 1/4" larger than the opening so I could "bend" the ends over so it looked more "finished" and not showing any sharp edges. I actually just sold that grill in the pics and I'm currently working on something else that I should have ready to mount in about a week. I'll take pics and post when my new grill is ready.

Paul, I just can't keep up with you I bet the new grill you have looks "sweet" :rolleyes: . By the way, my injectors and SAFC are being installed by a local shop right now.....I am getting really anxious :confused:
Old 02-19-2003, 07:36 AM

Duke:

I'm looking forward to hear how your fuel mods are working out for you. I'm sure your keep us all updated. How much did all the fuel mods end up costing? Your not doing the install?? I'm probably going to stop with getting the headers. I know the fuel mods are a good thing. But I have sunk sooo much in already and my truck runs pretty good. Just wish they had better gas(higher octane than 91)here in AZ.

Paul
Old 02-19-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Thanks for the remarks!

Do you have to cut off the stock grill? I attempted to try that the other day but it seems hard and look like I have to cut off my stock grill.

Do you have a write up about how YOU did it? I mean how YOU did it to your rig, not other generation.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 AM

I didn't have to cut anything on the grill. I placed the mesh against the grill (carefully) and marked the mesh with a permanent marker the outline of the opening leaving it about 1/4" bigger. Then used tin snips to cut and finalize the mesh to fit and then used 22 gauge picture hanging wire to mount. I use to mount with zip ties, but the picture hanging wire looks cleaner as you can barely see it. I attached the mounting wires to the (outside)vertical part of the grill and some more wire above and below the "T". For the valance, I cut off the license plate mounts (don't need front plate in AZ) so the mesh would sit flush. I cut and mounted the valance mesh the same way.

Paul
Old 02-19-2003, 05:45 PM

eBaY

There's one sold periodically on eBaY for $20. Or if you want to spend like 10 bucks go to lowes and make one like me! It actually looks really nice. I made one for the lower bumper place too where you put a front license plate, and I love it.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 AM

Re: eBaY

Originally posted by White SR5
There's one sold periodically on eBaY for $20. Or if you want to spend like 10 bucks go to lowes and make one like me! It actually looks really nice. I made one for the lower bumper place too where you put a front license plate, and I love it.
White SR5,
Will you let us see yours work? Got some pix for a fella?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's my "Lowe's special"

Here is my interpretaion of the gutter guard grille insert on a 2nd Gen. I did mine set back behind the grille work (and valance). You can also see my "custom" black pearl emblems.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Pic

Here's a link to the picture on eBaY. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=6755. Mine looks nicer IMO of course, but I think it really cleans up the front end. As soon as I can figure out how to work this digital camera I'll post pics of my 4Runner, and the grille,and the stereo, and anything else that seems fit. Oh yeah, someone e-mail me or PM me about how to post a picture too. Might be helpful. Thanks

Zach
Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 PM

good deal for 20 bucks. but this guy got too many bad feed back and why it takes him too long to ship the product?

Why can't someone in yotatech make it for sale?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also see my "custom" black pearl emblems.
Those black pearl emblems are the "shiznit" (did I say that right?).

Bob
Old 02-20-2003, 04:18 PM
A+

SSbogger maybe u should try this link

http://www.accessconnect.com/Aluminum_Speed_Grille.htm
Old 03-08-2003, 06:54 PM

Here's a link to a new (Yukon) style grill for the '99+ 4 Runners:

Grill
Old 03-09-2003, 01:32 AM

Wish they showed a 4Runner with their grille installed. Kinda scarey when all they show is a fatory installed GMC grille...I'm curious how it installs and fits. It may look kool.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:08 PM

do u have any pics of ur's, whitesr5?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

I did something similar and used gutter guard from Lowe's then painted lightly buffed the plastic chrome and painted flat black. It was pretty simple and works ok. I used aircraft stainless steel safety wire to hold the grill in place. It matches the color of the grill real well.

Mick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Scene Grill