Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Leave everything, hike out and get help, then come back.
23.08%
Light it on fire so no one else gets anything.
5.77%
Live off the land until a search party arrives.
11.54%
Hitch a ride from a Nazi, then come back with a tow truck.
7.69%
Dig for days until you can get it out.
38.46%
Disassemble all valuable parts and hide them in the woods,then hike out and get help.
13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Stranded in the middle of nowhere...choose your adventure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stranded in the middle of nowhere...choose your adventure

Your truck is stuck, REALLY stuck. There is no way to get out, and you are alone in the middle of nowhere. You are stuck just off a trail that is frequented every 3 days or so by hard core rednecks, and Nazi militia freaks. The main road is 15 miles away. You have the supplies you would normally carry while off-roading. What do you do?

Oh yeah, no winches!

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-18-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:39 AM

A little political humor.........

In response to 96 Runner........ with a little political humor...

Scenario one.....

I would use my trusty cell phone to call some US servicemen to come in and lift my rig out... We have so many helo machanics on the board maybe they can persuade the pilot to fly out and rescue me....

Scenario two.....

I would call the UN and say that I was a young inspector that got stuck in the mud while training. Only France would veto and after the NAZI Militants killed me and stole my truck they would go defeat the French with a 4 runner loaded with 5 guys 2 dogs and a set of PIAA 959's.....

Scenario three....

Right now there are american servicemen disarming Afgan people. I have recently aquired some claimore's, and land mines (dont tell the UN). I would set up a perimeter with yellow do not enter tape. If they entered they would be blown to bits. The only GOOD thief is a Dead one......

Make up your own story and post it...........

There should be something good to say about the Mexican and Canadian governments and their freeloading policies.....

DISCLAIMER ---- This is not meant to offend any canadians and mexicans on the board. If you come by my house I will still take you out to eat and find a good wheelin' place to take you.
TO HELL WITH THE FRENCH!

Thanks for reading guys!

Mike

We've got something for SADDAM!

:tomcat:
Old 03-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

I didnt expect that creative of an answer! Wow!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 PM

So just how are we (Canadian Govt.) freeloading?
Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 PM

i wouldn't have gotten stuck in the first place.

i might pretend to be an iraqi citizen. then bush might try and be nice to me and help me out. he'd also overthrow the tyrant saddam, and the evil iraqi regime, that got me stuck in the first place.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

No winch?? OK.. I will use my hi-lift and do it by hand!!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:49 PM

Well, I don't know about freeloading, but Canada did get it's nuclear engery progam in it's entirely from the U.S. Politics is better suited on other discussion boards though. Let's talk about the Yota's!

I would certainly live off the land. 3-5 days isn't that bad. You've got a dry place to sleep, and can start a fire very easily even if you don't have matches (battery + steel wool). you'll be fine.

-davis
Old 03-18-2003, 05:00 PM

starting a fire...

i dont usually carry steel wool.... and i dont know if i would want to hook it up to my car battery... but the cigarette lighter would work great. i also have matches in my rig...
Old 03-18-2003, 05:07 PM

point is, your truck is stuck and you are freezing to death. if you build a small bundle of very small twigs and put fairly decent piece of steel wool under the pile, you can VERY quicly start a fire by arcing the battery through the steel wool. Better than hypothermia. i doubt a whole lot of folks would know to do that.

-davis
Old 03-18-2003, 06:53 PM

I guess my answer was keep diggin but fast
Old 03-18-2003, 09:31 PM

So bldavis just what part of the CANDU Reactor is American? The Canadians and British developed their own technology starting in 1945. Check out www.nuclearfaq.ca You should get the facts straight first maybe. Canada developed dueterium, or heavy water and provides most of the uranium that the US uses.

Last edited by Babypig; 03-18-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:11 PM

Re: Stranded in the middle of nowhere...choose your adventure

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Oh COME ON!!! That's not stuck, THIS is stuck.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:33 AM

Canada Freeloading......

Hey babypig,

This comment is in no way directed to the people of Canada, but the government.

Right now the world is faced with a problem. That is Saddam Hussein. For 12 years he has violated UN resolutions telling him to get rid of his weapons of mass destruction. This man has used this stuff on the Kurds in the north and if threated as we will see in the comming days against an invading army.

Right now Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, and China cannot understand that Saddam is a threat. (French are oblivious based on their supplying Iraq with a Nuclear reactor and them not wanting the world to find out.)
That are basically saying after 12 years of diplomacy, lets give this guy another chance. Since 1991 when the Gulf War ended, Saddam has continued to make weapons of mass destruction. This will be proven to the world after the US and her allies go in and get rid of Saddam.

Saddam has used the last 12 years to regroup and rebuild....

My freeloading statement exists primarily because the US borders Canada and Mexico. These two countries have nothing to fear being the only continental neighbors of the US. If something happens to Canada and Mexico the US will protect you......

I understand that Canada has ties to the French and English, but during the current crisis Canada exhibits the attitude of their French ancestry instead of taking the sides of its Continental neighbor the USA.

These comments are not generated to insult the Canadian and Mexican people, they are basically explaining a situation that has occured because the Government of Canada and Mexico does not realize the gravity of the situation, and decide to back her neighbor. It seems like Canada has a lot more freedom to exercise 'Isolationism' at the USA's expense.

I have been to Canada on a work related trip to Hamilton, Ontario. All of the Canadians that I encountered were definitely a respectable people. I was amazed at how 'US Like' Canada is. Of course most of the Canadians that I met had very little good to say about the Quebec area....

I am in no way saying that the US and the decisons made by the politicians are always correct. Very few people actually realize that the US is the only 'SUPERPOWER' on the block in todays age. We have a moral obligation to help oppressed people everywhere, even though we occationally turn our back on certain countries.

TO me oil hungry america is not a valid argument to why the US is meddling in Iraqi affairs. Heck if we wanted oil would would rather pay market price then a 400 billion price tag for a 5 month war coupled with the loss of human life.

Thanks guys,

Mike

Ps. MOAB is on the way Saddam, Please give UP!!!
Pss. These political comments will now be moved to the other discussion board...........................
Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

It depends...

Your poll is a cool subject to ponder... but the action I would take really depends on a number of variables, so the responses you listed might not apply.

1. Assuming I was absolutely stuck, I would first try to contact someone via my 2 meter mobile radio.

2. If that didn't work, then I would most likely just hang out for a day or two. I always carry enough provisions to camp out for at least a few days (in comfort). This would be the least stressful, to just hang out and wait for some assistance to come by. I could stay with my vehicle, so that is a plus. Depending on the length of my excursion, it's possible that I would be late getting home by now, and family and friends would know I was in troubl, and know where to look for me.

3. If nobody showed up within 2-3 days (or more, depending on how much stuff I had with me) then I wouldn't have any troubles hiking out to the road. I always carry my basic hiking gear (and boots) with me, so if I break down I can hike as necessary.

I challenge you to ponder this scenario - but out in the middle of the Baja desert
Old 03-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Bajataco-

I visited your website a while ago, and read about your excursion throughout the baja desert and coast. Man, that sure sounds great. Desert survival is a whole new scenario. I almost put "major mechanical malfunction" as the reason for being stuck, but let's face it, we are dealing with Toyota's here!

What it all comes down to, is how prepared you are, and how willing you are to leave your truck and gear behind. (Speaking spanish wouldn't hurt either).

I kinda like the hiding the stuff in the woods idea (anything not covered by insurance) and hiking out to get help. But, like you said, people would start wondering where you were. And, if you left detailed directions and when you would be back, you could pretty much count on being rescued, so staying put would be a viable option too.

Good points.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:34 AM

Right now the world is faced with a problem. That is Saddam Hussein. For 12 years he has violated UN resolutions telling him to get rid of his weapons of mass destruction. This man has used this stuff on the Kurds in the north and if threated as we will see in the comming days against an invading army.

1. He does have WMD's i agree. But who gave him the tech to make VX and Mustard. The CIA under Bush Sr.

Right now Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, and China cannot understand that Saddam is a threat. (French are oblivious based on their supplying Iraq with a Nuclear reactor and them not wanting the world to find out.)
That are basically saying after 12 years of diplomacy, lets give this guy another chance. Since 1991 when the Gulf War ended, Saddam has continued to make weapons of mass destruction. This will be proven to the world after the US and her allies go in and get rid of Saddam.

2. Yeah we understand that he's a threat. So when are you guy's going into North Korea? That's been 40 years of failed diplomacy and UN resolutions and he definitley has WMD. The other question that has to be asked is why now? The economy in the US is down, yet Bush does nothing. After the hunt for Osama hasn't produced the desired results.

My freeloading statement exists primarily because the US borders Canada and Mexico. These two countries have nothing to fear being the only continental neighbors of the US. If something happens to Canada and Mexico the US will protect you......

3. And this is our fault how? Bad geographics? Until the US needs something. The US govt has a long history of asking my country (Canada) not to arm itself too heavily, so as to not cause the former USSR to get antsy about the weapons at her doorstep. Don't forget that Canada is only 33 milion and we don't have the physical resources to go to war.

I understand that Canada has ties to the French and English, but during the current crisis Canada exhibits the attitude of their French ancestry instead of taking the sides of its Continental neighbor the USA.

4. This comment borders on racism, and the French saved your ass from the British, or else you'd be part of Canada. Are you gonna call freedom bacon instead of Canadian bacon.

These comments are not generated to insult the Canadian and Mexican people, they are basically explaining a situation that has occured because the Government of Canada and Mexico does not realize the gravity of the situation, and decide to back her neighbor. It seems like Canada has a lot more freedom to exercise 'Isolationism' at the USA's expense.

5. I think that being one of 160 countries around the world that wants proof first is not isolationist. Perhaps the 30 that support this are. In that number of countries how many want something for thier support? We also have more troops going to Afganistan to allow you to free up resources. The US has Isolationism down to a fine art. but i won't go there.

I am in no way saying that the US and the decisons made by the politicians are always correct. Very few people actually realize that the US is the only 'SUPERPOWER' on the block in todays age. We have a moral obligation to help oppressed people everywhere, even though we occationally turn our back on certain countries.

6. I assure we all know that you're the only "superpower". Thats all that we seem to hear. The decisions that the US makes are just that their decisions. Not the worlds. Just cause we don't agree with your so called president, doesn't mean we are freeloaders.

I agree that the US isn't over there for oil primarily. It's a happy side effect.

Maybe if the US paid the dues owed to the UN (2.5 Billion) it might have a little more clout. Talk about freeloading.

Canada would be hippocrates if we didn't support the UN seeing as we laid the ground work for it's very exsistance. This war is something that Bush want so let him have it.

So what would you think if I call the US warmongers?
Old 03-19-2003, 08:49 AM

Babypig & Hokiez97:

Please take your conversation into private messages. Your replies have almost nothing to do with the thread topic and viewers of this thread are here for adventure, not political debate.

<96 Runner>: I'd use my "turn back time" machine & reverse this to just before I thought it was a good idea to wheel alone.

Al
Old 03-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, who was the wise guy(s) that lit their truck on fire? :fireman:

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-19-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
Babypig & Hokiez97:

Please take your conversation into private messages. Your replies have almost nothing to do with the thread topic and viewers of this thread are here for adventure, not political debate.

<96 Runner>: I'd use my "turn back time" machine & reverse this to just before I thought it was a good idea to wheel alone.

Al

AMEN HBOSS
Old 03-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
... I almost put "major mechanical malfunction" as the reason for being stuck, but let's face it, we are dealing with Toyota's here!...
I LOVE that line!

But you know what?? It's TRUE! That is one of the key reasons I roamed all over Baja without worrying too much. Yea, because I was prepared had a lot to do with it, but knowing I had a die-hard, dependable vehicle made a world of difference (and still does!)

TOYOTA

Quick Reply: Stranded in the middle of nowhere...choose your adventure