Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AT still wont shift in OD after thermostat replacement! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AT still wont shift in OD after thermostat replacement! HELP!

Ok, I finally took the time to change out the thermostat to see if that was my issue with my OD not working... It isn’t! Here is what it does, if I drive the truck lets say 6 miles or so, shut it off and run in to buy a cup of coffee then come back out it will go into OD with no problem at all, but if I don’t shut it off for even a just a minute it wont go into OD. I just got back from a test ride after changing the thermostat and flushing the system. I drove about 5 miles, hit the highway and cranked it up to 70, it still didn’t go into OD! I let off since holding a 3.0 at 4k isn’t smart and pulled off into a parking lot, shut it off for 30 seconds, got going again and with out any hesitation it dropped right into OD like it used to! What is going on with my trans! Could it be that the computer needs to adjust to the new temp since the thermostat was failing? The heat is WAY hotter than it was before.. I used a stock 180 thermo.. I really don’t want to call the stealership for this one! Any help would be great! Thanks again, Matt
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

The trans won't shift into OD if the engine hasn't reached operating temp. My guess is that one of your selenoids is sticking in your transmission. I don't think it is related to your engine temp. How's your trans fluid level? What does it look like? You may want to get it changed and see if it still does it. Is your OD light flashing? I think it will do that sometimes with tranny problems.

Good Luck

Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Question nope!

No, my AT light has never come on! Ive done a full flush of the trans fluid "last year".. and I did the drain and fill a few times prior to the full fluid change.. I did use a synthetic fluid, if you think thats the issue Ill pick up a case of fluid this week and change that crap out of there! I cant afford a trans issue! My truck only has 160,000 on it and hasnt towed anything, a few heavy bed loads but thats it! :cry:
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot to mention

I did forget to mention that I have only put a few thousand miles on the truck this year TOPS! My car gets almost 40mpg.. so unless I have REALLY needed a truck its sat in the garage!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Ok, I finally took the time to change out the thermostat to see if that was my issue with my OD not working... It isn’t! Here is what it does, if I drive the truck lets say 6 miles or so, shut it off and run in to buy a cup of coffee then come back out it will go into OD with no problem at all, but if I don’t shut it off for even a just a minute it wont go into OD. I just got back from a test ride after changing the thermostat and flushing the system. I drove about 5 miles, hit the highway and cranked it up to 70, it still didn’t go into OD! I let off since holding a 3.0 at 4k isn’t smart and pulled off into a parking lot, shut it off for 30 seconds, got going again and with out any hesitation it dropped right into OD like it used to! What is going on with my trans! Could it be that the computer needs to adjust to the new temp since the thermostat was failing? The heat is WAY hotter than it was before.. I used a stock 180 thermo.. I really don’t want to call the stealership for this one! Any help would be great! Thanks again, Matt
I believe on the back of the intake their is a temperature sensor Toyota's use for the tranny. It is a coolant sensor that is just for the tranny and what it does is after a certain temperature it will allow the OD to lock up. Either you have two problems. The first would be is you got an air pocket in the cooling system and the sensor is not fully submerged so it gets a false reading and thinks it cold. Second that sensor may be faulty. You jump it to check to see if the OD works. Use a paper clip. I can't be sure which one it is in the back of the intake.

James
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation sensor?

Does anyone have a pic of the sensor? Why would it make a difference when I shut the engine off for a minute? Is that giving the sensor just enough time to reach the proper temp or do you think my computer is having issues? Kind of frustrating.. I really dont like having an AT anyway... I wonder how hard it would be if it does need work to swap it with a 5 speed....
Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation It did it again last night

I took the truck to get gas and some things at the store.. About a 9 mile trip there, no OD.. I came out of the Food Lion probably 10 minutes later and it worked with NO issues at all the rest of the drive home! Q. Why would shutting the truck off for a few minutes make a difference in the OD??!! Is the sensor called the AT temp sensor? Once you shut it off it goes into OD with no problems, doest slip out or give me any other issues at all, it just will not go in at first! I guess I need to know what I should replace next. I don’t think its a fluid or solenoid issue, if it was than it would not work flawlessly once it goes finally decides it wants to work, but only after you shut it off hot for a few minutes :cry: ... I really hate automatics. . Never again, I really cant complain though I’m just below 160,000 miles and have “knock on wood” never had any issues with really anything major on the truck except the bed rust issue and that’s old news!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 PM

You need to pull the codes for the tranny. Same procedure as pulling the engine trouble codes, just the o/d light will flash as well. It sounds like an electrical problem due to the intermitant on off issue. Solenoid is my first guess but pulling the codes will send you in the right direction for sure.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

should I take it to the stealership?

Should I call the stealer and set up an apt or is there another option for pulling the codes? A guy I work with has the II scanner but Im thinking it wont work on my 88????
Old 11-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Just do a search on here for trouble codes. You don't need a scanner, just a paper clip. Other people have explained how to do it better than i could. That should get you going in the right direction.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 AM

I have the same damn problem with my 95 runner 3.0 its irritating!!!!!!! Im going to see if a thermostat will do someone told me to only go with a toyota therm. Does anyone know where the thread if there is one that can walk me throught how to replace it so I dont have to take it somewhere????? please help
Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

my wives 02 Tacoma is getting a new transmission this next week, never got a overheat light, but the oil was burnt and the the pump had gone out. After warming up the transmission would not lock into OD and had caused more problems.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 PM

I have sort of the same problem. If I start my 95 runner 3.0 AT up and take off without letting it warm up, i'll have to drive 4-6km untill the tranny shifts into OD. Just letting it sit and idle for 3-5 mins it will usually work fine...the tranny fluid is topped up but isnt as pink as it probably should be...im getting it flushed out here soon, just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem, or knows what might be going on with it?

Thanks