Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stiffer Rear Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Stiffer Rear Coils

OK, I currently have the Downey 3.5" front and rear 2wd lift for my '98 4Runner. The front is at 3" and the rear is a full 3.5" (according to the guys who installed it for me). The coils in the rear were never very sturdy and seemed like they couldn't hold much weight. This in turn made my rear end hit the bumpstops quite often when I had anyone in the rear or any substantial weight in the rear. I bought new Sonoran Steel bumpstops and that eased the amount of bottoming out, but it still happens.

I have built a pretty large cargo box in the rear that will be a constant 150+ pounds. This extra weight will probably make the springs give out and my rear end will bottom out more often. I can't have this happen on a constant basis and I think the fix could be quite simple. I'm not sure, but I think that new coils might be the answer. It could also be shocks... but that's why I'm posing this question to you all.

I'm not sure as to what setup would be best... so your opinions are strongly urged in this thread.

HELP!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

I've read that the OME's will sag over time but IIRC, JGM said that the OME's supported his custom bumper fine, which weighs more than the stock one. Try PMing him when you get the chance.

I'm really happy w/ the OME 891's, which should get you to the same height as the Downeys.

Another choice is to go w/ custom rear springs. Demello had mentioned that Deaver can make any spring, any height for our 3rd gens. This was more expensive than the OME's so you know the route I went. Strap22 had the OME 891's for $135 shipped to me so I'm assuming this would be pretty close to the price you'd get w/ shipping. The Deavers IIRC were quoted at $250 but they are custom.

I don't think there are many other choices to get you to the height you want w/ the one exception that many people are going with: LC coils. These are beefy compared to the 4runner springs and you can get some of these for about $50 plus shipping. If you went this route, you'll probably be ass higher so I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OME makes some heavy duty springs. if your missing in height you can always add a spacer ontop of the coil.

i know the OMEies i put on my runner are MUCH stiffer than stock but just about perfect with the extra gear i carry/tow.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
The front is at 3" and the rear is a full 3.5" (according to the guys who installed it for me).
I checked out the OME 891's and they boast a 2.5" lift. How does this work if I have a full 3.5" as stated above? Do I need to get spacers for this as well? I don't want to comprimise my ride TOO much, that's why I paid the money I did for a coilover suspension lift... will this setup achieve my current 3.5" of rear lift and will it comprimise my ride quality (much) as opposed to the current setup?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

I checked out the OME 891's and they boast a 2.5" lift. How does this work if I have a full 3.5" as stated above? Do I need to get spacers for this as well? I don't want to comprimise my ride TOO much, that's why I paid the money I did for a coilover suspension lift... will this setup achieve my current 3.5" of rear lift and will it comprimise my ride quality (much) as opposed to the current setup?
Even though the Downey's call themselves 3.5" coils, I don't think they give that much. You can check w/ others like bamachem as he did have these coils or may still have them. I thought I read up on these and those Downey's give about 2 - 2.5" of lift. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

I am running a 3" spacer in the rear with 99 4wd coils in the rear as well, and it has helped the bottem out problem, but when the back seat is full, it sags pretty good and the bottem out occurs, i am going to run some air bags in the rear so i can compensate the weight when the back seat is full.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TX-BLKRUNNER
i am going to run some air bags in the rear so i can compensate the weight when the back seat is full.
Not a bad idea, but I need something FULL TIME that will prevent sagging since I will always have weight in the back.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

run a 1-2" coil spacer, you can pick one up cheap at www.toyteclifts.com, you and i are in the same boat in that we do not need primo offroad equipment, being that there only 2wd. the spacers work pretty good for me.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM

Not a bad idea, but I need something FULL TIME that will prevent sagging since I will always have weight in the back.
The airbags are FULL TIME. You can leave them with as much air as you need (up to the max pressure) for as long as you need. I have had mine installed since June 2001 and they are holding up very well. If you keep them adjusted to only the pressure you need, they keep the truck level without the rough ride penalty of stiffer coils. And if you ever decide (sometime in the future) you don't need to carry extra weight in the back, just take them down to 5psi and you are back to the stock cushy ride.

With all that said, if you want lift and load capacity, longer coils are probably the best bet...

hupptoy