Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Column Clunk - Tilt Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Column Clunk - Tilt Wheel

The Truck: 04 4x4 ext cab v6/auto with tilt wheel.
The problem/concern: a weird clunk in the steering column when turning the wheel quickly. It's louder when the truck is off, but still there when the truck is on.

Dealer #1 - Toyota claims its normal/other trucks do it.
Dealer #2 - immediately blamed my winch as "excessive weight" up front.

Anyone have any ideas? Dealer #1 did remove panels and inspect to make sure things were tight and OK (and its written as such on my copy of the RO). But this isn't something I want to have go out on me when I'm doing 70 on the freeway.

Thanks!

-ed
Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 AM

Check the play yourslef where the steering column transfers through the firewall. Tight?

Does this occur when you turn in either direction?

Did you check the condition of your rag/steering joint? good? bad?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Mine does this as well, not every time, but sometimes when turning it real hard in either direction. Doesnt seem to be a real problem, and I have heard that its common in the Taco's. I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bothers you.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 AM

It is NOT normal.

Don't let it go.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Mine does this as well, not every time, but sometimes when turning it real hard in either direction. Doesnt seem to be a real problem, and I have heard that its common in the Taco's. I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bothers you.
This is the first I've heard (from someone other than a suspect dealership) that it would be common. It bothers me, but if there's no mechanical fault, I'll deal with it. I just don't want something to separate on me at the worst time (like onthe freeway or a trail in BFE).

To answer the previous person, there is a little play between the steering wheel and the shaft where it goes through the floor/firewall, bit it's <1/8", so it's probably a bit of slop in the ujoint for the tilt wheel causing that.

Everything else does seem tight, but part oof the column under the dash goes through a tube and whatever is in that support tube is beyond my ability to get at!

Thanks for hte feedback though. I do appreciate it!

-ed
Old 07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

When I jerk the steering wheel back and forth of the 96 I just bought (and sold) while running, it makes a "click" sound that can be felt only when passing the TDC (top dead center) position of the steering wheel. Again, it only does this when it is jerked back and forth (left to right). Not much I can do on a 96, but if I had an 04 I would push the issue with Toyota.

My green 96 does not do this.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
When I jerk the steering wheel back and forth of the 96 I just bought (and sold) while running, it makes a "click" sound that can be felt only when passing the TDC (top dead center) position of the steering wheel. Again, it only does this when it is jerked back and forth (left to right). Not much I can do on a 96, but if I had an 04 I would push the issue with Toyota.

My green 96 does not do this.
Yeah my 97 doesn't do this, either. But I've been to 2 dealers and I don't have the time to keep trying different dealers (eventually I'll run out!) unless someone can recommend a reputable dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area (peninsula or south bay if possible)?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

If you find out its a problem, be sure to let us know cause then I need to get mine fixed
That and my damn u-joints
Old 08-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Steering clunk

If you find out its a problem, be sure to let us know cause then I need to get mine fixed
Well, I haven't picked up the truck yet, but I finally found a dealer willing to admit that 1) there is a problem and 2) that they would fix it! According to the service order paperwork, they claim it was a bad #2 ujoint on the steering shaft (there is a such a thing, I checked in my FSM). Personally I think it's the balljoint in the tilt, but they claim the clunk is gone. So I'll get the truck tonight or tomorrow AM and know for sure if that was it!
Old 08-06-2004, 02:36 PM

Damn dealers

Well I got the truck this AM. Problem is STILL there even after a new #2 ujoint on the steering shaft, AND the bastards didn't reconnect my hood release.

So I left it there and *now* Toyota tech line is saying to replace the steering rack. I know the problem is in the tilt. I guess they're going to get to throw new parts at it. I told them it was in the tilt. Did they listen? Of COURSE not. Bastages.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 AM

Hello,

I think I have the EXACT same problem with my '02 4x4 Tacoma. Has anyone actually fixed this "slight clunk" feedback problem yet?? I was planning on going to my dealer before December, when my warranty expires. Responses are greatly appreciated!!

Mark
Old 09-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Yes, I got it fixed. Took about 2 weeks for the dealer to get the parts, and about 2 days to do the work. Of course, Toyota Tech line made them replace the PS rack and PS pump (not the problem, giant waste of my time and their money) first.

Here's news for you - 800 miles and some *very* light offroading later, the clunk is back.

You may want to just live with it and not bother. No reason to lose your truck for a couple of days for a problem that will still come back. :/
Old 09-18-2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the update. I think I'll take your advice and live with it ... but I do have one more question

Was the clunk coming from the steering shaft u-joints or the PS rack?? Thanks again for your opinon!

Mark

ps What's the Toyota Tech Line??
Old 09-19-2004, 11:14 AM

The Tech Line is some magical phone number the dealer techs call when they aren't sure how to proceed in fixing a problem. I'd love to get that # and read them the riot act!

I have tilt wheel. The clunk was coming from the ball joint that lets the tilt column...uhm...tilt. It's not a ujoint, but a ball joint with spacers in the upper column. They also replaced the lower column ujoint at first, thinking that was to blame (it wasn't). It also was not the rack (they burned a good $900 on a rack that didn't need replacing - this was the advice the tech line gave them!).

Hope this has been helpful to you.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:40 AM

Yes, you've been really helpful! I may attempt to get a dealer fix; and I have really appreciated your advice! Thanks again!

Mark
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM

No problem. IF you need copies of work orders, etc. let me know. They might be helpful in "convincing" your dealer.