Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starting Issue, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Issue, Any Ideas?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything that really followed my symptom.
So this morning (literally about 25 min ago) I go to get in and turn the key, dash lights up just fine.
I always allow a few seconds for anything to kick in (i.e fuel pump and such, just something I have always done since I started driving).
Then I turn it to start and nothing.
Lights still on, but nothing happens.
No belts turning, no clicking noises, nothing...
So I turn it off and open the hood to see if I notice anything the next time I try.
So again I get in and try...
And again nothing...
So then I repeat it and finally the last time I bang my head on the steering wheel (like mart in Back to the Future) and she slowly finally starts to turn over and then finally she catches and turns on!

So my question is, What in the world was all that?
Now I am paranoid, Tess is in the parking lot and I am afraid when I get back out there she isn't going to turn on again...

Any input would be great! thanks!

Last edited by YotaFun; 01-18-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 AM

off topic... not sure but i heard thatsnow is coming this weekend. possibly
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86
off topic... not sure but i heard thatsnow is coming this weekend. possibly
Damn and the 4Runner is running like crap!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm.... check your battery terminals and connections and possibly the wires under your steering column? On my truck the previous owner had messed around with the wiring under the steering column, and I sometimes had starting issues under I got under there and soldered what he messed up.

Rob
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
Hmm.... check your battery terminals and connections and possibly the wires under your steering column? On my truck the previous owner had messed around with the wiring under the steering column, and I sometimes had starting issues under I got under there and soldered what he messed up.

Rob
Double checked those and everything looked secure
No wiring issues everything seems good there.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
could it be the starter ? have you done any deep water crossings ?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
could it be the starter ? have you done any deep water crossings ?
I thought that too,
But I didn't hear any clicking or any other noises that I have read that would be associated with the starter.
I did do a deep water corssing yes, a couple of them....
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
reason i asked about the starter is in my lasted truck i had mine went bad and it didint click or make any noise i would just turned the key and nothing after awhile it started

Last edited by Elton; 01-18-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Do you still have your stock positive battery terminal?

The reason I ask is mine would do the same thing because the stock battery terminal is a piece of junk with only a small surface area that touches around the bottom of the lead batter lug. Basically it would wiggle a bit and contact would be lost. Some times it would start, other times I'd have to push it back down to seat it fully.

Erich
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 AM

yeah def check your terminals. anything loose you'll get nothing. but hey hit me up this weekend if we get snow. i wanna go out.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Erich_870
Do you still have your stock positive battery terminal?

The reason I ask is mine would do the same thing because the stock battery terminal is a piece of junk with only a small surface area that touches around the bottom of the lead batter lug. Basically it would wiggle a bit and contact would be lost. Some times it would start, other times I'd have to push it back down to seat it fully.

Erich
The battery terminal in very buff actually.
It was on there when I got the 4Runner but I think it may have been changed the first tiemit was at the dealer.

But all the lights come on? Wouldn't that mean that the battery is still connected?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
reason i asked about the starter is in my lasted truck i had mine went bad and it didint click or make any noise i would just turned the key and nothing after awhile it started
I am starting to think that may be the route of my problem, not only this starting issue, but my belt pulley noise...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86
yeah def check your terminals. anything loose you'll get nothing. but hey hit me up this weekend if we get snow. i wanna go out.
I will don't worry, I am not going to miss the first snow of the season!
At least try not to!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM

ill come pick you up or we'll kick your truck or something.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM

I think it is your starter motor as well. A quick way to check this is to put your truck in1st gear and then rock the rig from the front, like get out of the drivers seat, walk to the front and then try to push it backwards effectively making it rock and possibly moving the engine enough to moved the planetary gear on the starter. If you got auto then leave it in park, open the bonnet and try to turn the front drive wheel. This will have the same effect as rocking.
What happens in a water crossing is that some water gets inside the solenoid and then onto the armature. This causes a temporary short in the armature segments. So when you turn off the engine it invariably stops on these two shorted segments. When you try to start the armature won't turn because the two segments cannot move off its neutral plane. By rocking the engine just enough it causes the armature to rotate to the next unshorted segment. The way to repair this? Gotta get under and take it off. Take it to an auto electrician to see how many segments are shorted. If it is only one or two he may be able to repair it by filing between the segments. Other wise he will replace it. (Big $$$). Hope that helps.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeepthing
I think it is your starter motor as well. A quick way to check this is to put your truck in1st gear and then rock the rig from the front, like get out of the drivers seat, walk to the front and then try to push it backwards effectively making it rock and possibly moving the engine enough to moved the planetary gear on the starter. If you got auto then leave it in park, open the bonnet and try to turn the front drive wheel. This will have the same effect as rocking.
What happens in a water crossing is that some water gets inside the solenoid and then onto the armature. This causes a temporary short in the armature segments. So when you turn off the engine it invariably stops on these two shorted segments. When you try to start the armature won't turn because the two segments cannot move off its neutral plane. By rocking the engine just enough it causes the armature to rotate to the next unshorted segment. The way to repair this? Gotta get under and take it off. Take it to an auto electrician to see how many segments are shorted. If it is only one or two he may be able to repair it by filing between the segments. Other wise he will replace it. (Big $$$). Hope that helps.
Well if this happens again I will try.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:33 AM

damn brotha, the runner is giving you the royal treatment for the paragon trip, but hey, we all know far too well thats its just how it goes...im gonna link it to either your starter or what everyone else ripped on in the other thread, your alternator...thinking about it now tho, im sure the starter could explain that whining noise, but like i said, clean that alt bro, the brushes inside prolly have mud caked all over em, give em a good clean, just might solve some of your problems...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 AM

yeah if you clean your alt use some electrical cleaner spray. dont know if it would be your alt or not but a cleaning shouldnt hurt. id stick to the starter or battery personally. good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know its gonna sound stupid but I had the same problem-the shifter wasnt locked fully in park and I got nothing..got the jumpers out and hooked up and still nothing-go play with the shifter-its not locked in. Same thing can happen with your wheel if it isnt locked in..

Course it could be the starter, some electrical cleaner spray will work. Your fan issue I really think if the bearing.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91TPU
damn brotha, the runner is giving you the royal treatment for the paragon trip, but hey, we all know far too well thats its just how it goes...im gonna link it to either your starter or what everyone else ripped on in the other thread, your alternator...thinking about it now tho, im sure the starter could explain that whining noise, but like i said, clean that alt bro, the brushes inside prolly have mud caked all over em, give em a good clean, just might solve some of your problems...
Hey if I could go back I would still do it all over again!
Tess still runs, she just a little sick thats all...

Quick Reply: Starting Issue, Any Ideas?