Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SR5 to 'Limited'

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SR5 to 'Limited'

Update:
Just got back from Georgia doing an equipment install and was able to almost finish my Limited upgrade. I will post some of the picks later today if I can get the chance.

Found another set of leather seats from a 96 runner in Chehalis, WA. both front and rear seats for less then $200. So I now have rears and two different fronts as well as the cloth seats available. Make me an offer. I will also have pics of the seats available. Got the wood grain radio bezel console. Still need the wood grain for the lower center console as well as the ignition and instrument cluster. Thinking I might try to do the cup holder mod to my 98 to the 99-02. Like the idea of having cup holders where they are usable. Looks like I maybe going back to the 'Yard'. Soooooo anyone who has the wood grain trim and they wish to get rid of it, let me know.

Things I still want to do:
1) Cold air intake
2) Auxillary Fuse panel
3) Electric fan mod
4) Auxillary outlets
5) Fog lights
6) LED lights (tail/stop)
7) LED interior lights
8) Interior reading lights rear seats
9) Hood lifts

Theres more but hey this is for fun anyway right?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what all have you done to your 4Runner? Post some pics!!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Here are some links, but as for the latest pics will have to wait till I can upload them.

FMU (Field Monitor Unit)
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...en-3-a-120311/

Silver Gauge Cluster
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...en-3-a-120466/

Auto dimming Compass/Temperature Mirror
Part 1 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...roject-125153/
Part 2 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...art-ii-126594/

I have also started installing fog/driving lights that came off a 99 Pontiac Grand Am which will be part of the lower valence and I'll post about it when I get it finished, waiting on the wiring harness and switch.
Installed clear JDM tail lights, so now I want to do the LED lights to make them really clear and visiable.
Installed clear JDM front turn signal lenses. Hope that answered your questions
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 AM

sounds awesome man, can't wait for the pics...i also have clear taillights, and ended up converting to 1157 taillight bulbs so i could run better LEDs, as some replacement toyota style LEDs i ordered off the internet were pretty much crap...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
sounds awesome man, can't wait for the pics...i also have clear taillights, and ended up converting to 1157 taillight bulbs so i could run better LEDs, as some replacement toyota style LEDs i ordered off the internet were pretty much crap...
How did you replace the plugs? Did you splice in new plugs on the old wires? What about fitting the 1157 plugs in the Toyota housings? Will the 1157 plugs fit the stock tail lights or do they require modification?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM

great deal on the seats. Were they in descent shape?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM

you interested in selling the set of the leather fronts? do you have the perforated ones? my dog has destroyed mine over the past 130k... time to freshen things up a bit
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
How did you replace the plugs? Did you splice in new plugs on the old wires? What about fitting the 1157 plugs in the Toyota housings? Will the 1157 plugs fit the stock tail lights or do they require modification?
1st, i just cut off the old bulb sockets where i would have plenty of wire for the new ones. 2nd, i just used some of those crimp-style connectors to connect the new socket to the old wires. 3rd...this is where a little work was required...i took my dremel tool and had to enlarge the hole for the bulbs, as the LED's are larger. also, the 1157 sockets i got had three metal prongs on each one to hold it in, so i bent them slightly, so that when i put them into the taillight housing, i could turn them a little bit and they would "lock" in. so far, they've worked great like this for over 3 months and have no leaks or anything of that nature...
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 AM

So you have clear tail lights?? You should definitely get the new LED tail lights that just came out, I had the clear tails before, and there is no comparison when it comes to the LEDs...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM

As for the seats, I have pics. email me direct at ritz_@msn.com and I will email you the pics, they're ok, but slightly mismatched in color. Amazing how close colors in the leather can seem to be the same until you put them next to each other. One was a bit darker then the the rears so when I got the other set, just went ahead and got the rear seats too. The condition was decent, but I ended up swapping the bottoms on one of the ones I had previously with the one that was on the latest set, pattern was closer. 96-02 seat bottoms are a snap to swap out unless you have power seats. All the seats I have including the OEM that came in it (SR5 cloth) are manual and the 'oak' color/pattern. They are in really good condition too. I also have the matching door panels for the SR5 interior. Those are available as well. Not looking to make anything on them, just recover some of my cost and get the storage space back. Local guys can get a steal of a deal. Shipping is the killer. Anyway will post picks of the seat install and wood trim I have so far. Thanks guys

I went to the clear tails as it fit my color better. I have the desert dune metallic so with the silver color, clear/metallic look of the JDM's were a better fit for my truck. I do like the led tails I have seen but I want to stay with pretty much stock fittings and lights. Only issue I have with the clears is getting a really RED tail/stop light and AMBER turn lights. Thought the LED bulbs would be the way to go.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking about upgrading my SR5 to leather, how did the installation of the front power seats go?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by skjos
... how did the installation of the front power seats go?Thanks
I did not install power seats. First there is no connection in an SR5 for power seats. I had to purchase non-power, manual leather seats. That install was perfect. If you want to install power seats you will need to get the connection plugs from a wrecked one and then run the wires from each seat.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 AM

why didnt you just buy a limited?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Don't forget about the fender flares!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:41 AM

This is just me, but I like the cleaner lines of the SR5, the limiteds had too many extra plastic chunks.

Plus I found my SR5 with only 41,000 Nevada miles on it 8 months ago.

R4R, thanks for the answer on the seats, I'll keep my eyes open for the manual version - less things to break.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
why didnt you just buy a limited?

Well I'll tell ya, I don't normally vent like this because I usually just try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt some people don't take the time to try to see why anyone would try to cusomize their rides but today .... this is about the last time I care to try to explain the "why" of my upgrade and just didn't buy a limited to start with, so if you can't keep up, take notes:

#1. There wasn't a limited in my area for sale at the time I came across this one. The Salesman who found this one for me had been looking for any Gen 3 for me for almost 16 months and this was the best in any trim line. I didn't wish to wait for another 12 months on the off chance a really clean rig with all the things I want and I could afford

#2. The cost of a limited in my area was about $3-4 thousand more then an SR5 if you can find a later Gen 3. Now 1996-2002 Limited 4Runners in YOUR area may be plentiful and dirt cheap in, but not up here in Washington. Let me see where is it you said you were from? Oh yeah, "misery". When I was in school I don't recall any place called "st. louis, misery" on any state maps ...

#3. The limited has some additional exterior trim that is not what I want. The door trim clutters the sides and makes it look bulky. The smooth lines of the truck are accentuated without that exterior trim and gives the truck a cleaner looking line. If you have a limited and want to take that stuff off you have holes in your doors as well as other issues with debris getting behind them if you go wheeling in incliment weather. Also it is a bit more expensive to repair and plug holes if you do remove it. What I am doing is called "customizing" a version of the truck that did not come with those accessories, I'm sure you are familiar with the term.

So the bottom line here is why would you be in the business of selling all those toyota parts? Using your brilliant deductional logic, no one really needs to customize or replace their vehicle parts with upgraded or custom parts from other vehicles unless they break them. All we have to do is just buy the top of the line in all of our trucks and solves all our issues and problems, right?

Why didn't I just go out and buy a limited .... geez dude, either your really young or just plain ignorant. To all of the other Yotatechers ... sorry

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 02-03-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Don't forget about the fender flares!
Thanks Austin, yes I had considered them as well. I do like the color coordinated flairs so I am on the look out for them as well.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by skjos
This is just me, but I like the cleaner lines of the SR5, the limiteds had too many extra plastic chunks.

Plus I found my SR5 with only 41,000 Nevada miles on it 8 months ago.

R4R, thanks for the answer on the seats, I'll keep my eyes open for the manual version - less things to break.

Skjos, great find! Yeah wish I could have found one with that kind of milage at a price I could afford.

Totally agree about the bulkness of the limited sides (read my reprimand of that guy from "Misery" where ever the hell that is ... I know he meant Missouri, but I did go to school & I know how to spell the states in my own freakin country!)

There are quite a few SR5's Gen 3's that came with leather interiors and seats that were manual. I found several different year models of gen 3's but never could find a complete set in the same vehicle. Usually was missing one seat or it was really trashed. I do have an extra complete leather rear set, bottoms and backs available at my cost plus shipping ($150 + shipping) I picked them up along with a partial front seat but as it would later be shown, it wasn't the same pattern as the next couple of front seats I would find. Very good luck!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 02-03-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
geez dude, either your really young or just plain ignorant. To all of the other Yotatechers ... sorry
Just a simple question...I expected a simple answer..not a personal attack.

Good luck on your project, Ritzy
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 AM

When I find some fronts that are in good condition, I'll send a pm your way about the rears. Bremerton isn't too far away, I could make a road trip.

Quick Reply: SR5 to 'Limited'