Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Squeezing out the HP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeezing out the HP

Hey guys. My Civic is completely stock (not for long hopefully) and i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to the engine without having to buy something (because im low on the benjamins) that can give me any more power at all. Even if its only a fraction of a HP, or just a tiny bit of torque, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Banned

for free, not really..... its a civic......
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

This can't be a serious thread Get a body kit, a fat can annoying exhaust, a wing, and 2 or 3 Type 3 stickers and that should add around 50 horse...maybe 55 depending on where you put the stickers. Any why are you asking Civic questions on a Toyota 4X4 site????? Flame on!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

here let me boot you into the right direction.

http://www.carreview.com/Learn^civicupgradescrx.aspx

I dont think we can offer much help.

Goodbye!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:35 PM

Well guys, you really let me down. I only came to this forum cuz all the honda forums sucked. I had been lookin at this one for a while and it seemed really good, so i joined. I was only asking for tune-ups in general that could help on any engine. Oh well, guess you guys arent as helpful as i thought......
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Banned

we are helpful, however, im not as we arent trying to rag on you... mayn manufactureres have their own little engine quirks and toyotas are way different than hondas.... anyways, its a civic, and for free, there isnt anything you can do to increase performance.... even a tuneup will cost money, and realisitically, thats all that can be done if you dont wnat to spend the money.....
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
we are helpful, however, im not as we arent trying to rag on you... mayn manufactureres have their own little engine quirks and toyotas are way different than hondas.... anyways, its a civic, and for free, there isnt anything you can do to increase performance.... even a tuneup will cost money, and realisitically, thats all that can be done if you dont wnat to spend the money.....
Gotcha...Thanks man
Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Having been a follower of this forum for some time I would tend to agree with Jim on this one. Often I have read where imported aftermarket modified sports cars(aka..ricers) drivers have brought great discredit upon their community by under estimating the ability of many of our vehicles and getting smoked. While we tend to frown on colorful language and derogatory comments here, we still feel we are somewhat exclusive and as such can be at times less than friendly to outsiders. Don't take it personally, we are just very serious about toyotas and 4 wheeling.
Good Luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

dont worry too much, i have a TOYOTA and its a 2wd, and tons of the guys here give me flack for it so im still an outsider.....
Old 08-04-2004, 10:47 PM

the first thing that came to mind was custom intake... if anything just cut the bottom of the airbox out so it can suck more air in. maybe remove the intake silencer if it has one, umm... can't really think of much else that wouldn't cost a lot of money. look up deckplate mod on here to get an idea of what I'm thinking about the airbox
Old 08-05-2004, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlob202
Hey guys. My Civic is completely stock (not for long hopefully) and i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to the engine without having to buy something (because im low on the benjamins) that can give me any more power at all. Even if its only a fraction of a HP, or just a tiny bit of torque, please let me know. Thanks.
the honda forums suck? there are plenty of good honda forums, when i owned my civic and integra, i used to frequent honda-tech.com, honda.hybrids.jp, and a few other forums and had gained alot of knowledge, tips and tricks.. i think you need to do more research before posting on a toyota forum looking for info on a honda.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Come on guys, you know he joined here cause he wants to do the 3.4FAST mod
Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 AM

C'mon an engine is an engine

I hate political correctness as much as anything else. but one has to give this dude due respect.

he tried the rest, now his asking the best..

I'm not a mechanic or an expert on vehicles..

but let me let you know what I know..

internal combustion engine, and horse drawn carriages are very very distant relatives but pretty much the principles of power are the same.

If you can't get moo power,, make efficient with what you have.

* lessen the weight .. drop the extra weight.

* go to junk yard maybe you can find a electric radiator fan as oppose to
a fan belt driven cooling fan.
* make the thing breath better,,, exhaust upgrade..

I'm sure there is more,, i found out that what makes vehicles mod. an expensive venture is the labor.

look around E-bay i'm sure you can find a lot of bargains,, maybe just around your neighborhood.

any case ,,, never be squimish to aks around,, like what you did in this board.
https://www.yotatech.com/newreply.ph...eply&p=376842#
rock on
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Get a SC'd Runner owner to tow you (you'll be faster) but even he might charge you money for that.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I will help you. First I need to know what engine you are running.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Ok I will help you. First I need to know what engine you are running.
It's a D16Y8
1.6 Liter SOHC Inline-4 VTEC

Can't think of anything else u mite want to know, but if there is, just ask.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

So, you have an EX right?

That really isn't the best Honda engine to modify. If you are looking to put some $ into it, I recommend getting a B16A. There are a lot more mods you can put into that, and you will be making a lot more HP than modding a D-series engine.

But you can still do some things. Depends on how far you want to go and how much $ you have to burn on it.

First would be get a Cold Air Intake, either make one you buy an AEM or Injen unit. I had an AEM on my old 00 Civic Si, but I have made one for my buddies 99 Civic Si. You can find the instructions online, and I think its on a del sol message board.

Next, go for an exhaust. The size will depend on if you are going to go F/I or stay N/A. If you plan on going with a Turbo or S/C, then wait on the exhaust. If you are going to stay N/A then go for a 2" exhaust. Try to get a mandrel bent exhaust for the best performance and stay away from cheap mufflers. Magnaflow sounds like crap on the D-series engines, my buddy has one on his 97 Civic and it sounds way too raspy. I had an HKS Hyper exhaust on my Si and it sounded really good, no bumble-bee sound.

From there you can go for a more aggressive cam to to get a little more power, but this can get expensive.

Also look into getting a header, I had a DC sports 4-1 header, it seemed to give me a little more high end power.

If you want to put more money into it, look for a turbo or S/C. I am not sure who makes a turbo for the D-series engine, but I do know that they exist. I think Jackson and Vortech makes superchargers for your engine (I know they make it for the B16A). Jackson is cheaper, but it doesn't make as much HP as the Vortech. If you go this route, remember you will need a new fuel pump, fuel rail and injectors. Upgraded ignition is also a good idea.

If you go to a swap or F/I, then you will need to get a stronger clutch, there are a few good brands out there, Clutchmasters, and ACT come to mind as some of the best. You will probably be ok getting a standard clutch (stage I) but you could go to a Stage II without making it hard to drive on a daily basis.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:51 AM

I second the suggestion to drop weight. Think of it as free HP. You can also advance the timing a bit if you're mechanically inclined...usually good for a little bit of power. You might also check out http://crx.honda-perf.org/forums/. It is a CRX forum, but there are a lot of people who know a great deal about other Honda engines there. They are every bit as knowledgeable as people on this forum.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:08 AM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
Hey Trav, wasn't he asking about free mods? You're talkin some pricey upgrades there. No doubt, added performance doesn't come cheap. I'm starting to see why some of the honda folks might have been not so nice to the blobster there.
Blobster, Not to be rude but as far as honda motors go it sounds like you got the wrong one to expect much out of cheap or free performance mods. Might be time to seriously consider selling that car and stepping into something that will offer more from the get go. Just my 2 centavos.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to the engine without having to buy something (because im low on the benjamins) that can give me any more power at all.
I could've given him some suggestions like SLC Punk did but this was his first post.

Quick Reply: Squeezing out the HP