Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sqeaky Clutch in Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sqeaky Clutch in Tacoma?

Has anyone encountered the Squeaky Clutch Problem in there Tacoma's? I have noticed that sometimes when I press my clutch in to change gears it will squeak. It functions fine but the sqeak can sometimes get on my nerves.
Also the only other complaint is a rattle in my dash? These are the only problems I have ever had out of my vehicle. Any advise on how to fix these two minor problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM

NOt sure about that specific truck but most squeeky clutches are either in the clutch pedal bushings or the release bearing itself. Some spray grease on the bushing under the dash would help but no real quick fix if its a release bearing. Does it squeek only when running?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely its the clutch pedal. This makes a creaking noise and will still make the noise when the engine is off. Spray linkages with WD40 to fix.

I suppose the clutch could also squeal if it glazed due to oil getting on it. Then you'd have a bigger problem the leak would be hard to get at as its probably the rear seal. Eliminate hte possibility by crawling under your truck and checking the bottom of the bellhousing near the flywheel. There's a little gap there to act like a drain should the rear seal fail. No oil? No problem.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Thanks

Thank you all for the input, I was able to pinpoint where the noise was coming from and it is my clutch pedal making all the racket. it is def coming from inside the cab. Looked up underneath the truck and did not see any signs what so ever of leakage. Sprayed some WD40 and hope it will keep the squeaks at bay for now.

Last edited by TRDTACO; 10-13-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:49 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
It's a fairly common problem- couple different fixes for such an obtrusive sound.

The "real" way to fix it is to replace the bushing:
http://4runners.org/writeups/clutchbush/index.html

My "real" way to fix it is to replace the type of spring, because in my case, the spring was making all the racket, not the bushing being worn:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...bushing-19137/

The linear spring set me back about $3 at ace hardware, and it's been soundless for the last year and a half (35k miles!)

good luck!

scott
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 AM

Thanks Scott

Thanks Scott for that info, I am going to hit up the local hardware store on one of my days off and see if I can locate one of those springs. Come to think of it, the Squeak does sound like a spring, heck all they are only 3 dollars. Worth Checking out..
Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM

Try greasing it first and see if it goes away. Remove that spring and you loose some ease in the pedal downtravel (the torsion spring both help and keep the pedal up). Btw, you can drive w/o a spring at all.
Furthermore the squeak can come from the clutch bell housing where the slave cylinder moves the "clutch fork" (that is where mine squeaks).
Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
Try greasing it first and see if it goes away. Remove that spring and you loose some ease in the pedal downtravel (the torsion spring both help and keep the pedal up). Btw, you can drive w/o a spring at all.
Furthermore the squeak can come from the clutch bell housing where the slave cylinder moves the "clutch fork" (that is where mine squeaks).
I have a squeek too. I have had it since the clutch was done. I ended up taking the slave cylinder off and re-greasing everything and it went away for a little while and its back. Any ideas here since the topics already going?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 PM

If you greased it up and it removed the squeak why not repeat that procedure.
In my case the squeak comes from the pivot arm inside the bell housing, a burst of grease clears it for a while. Another thing is to take back to however did your clutch.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM

I found that using spray type white lithium grease on the pedal pivot & spring works well. Use a piece of cardboard or newspaper to protect your carpet.

Paul
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 AM

I am going to try greasing the clutch and see how that works, and if works I am going to repeat process until I find a permanent solution.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i have a 2000 tacoma and i have both of your problems lol. the squeak in the clutch and the dash. for the squeak like everyone else has said i take any kind of automotive lube that i have on hand and spray it up in there and it goes away fora a while. pretty sure its my bushing going out. took the spring out and the squeak was still there.
anyone have any ideas on the dash, heard just go in there and tighten up the screws. yea............ has anyone looked up there? theres a lot of stuff in the way lol. any ideas? thank you
Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 AM

Funny you mention the dash problem because its like when I go offroading or on a gravel dirt rd (hents my inlaws live on dirt rd on side of mountain the rattle even becomes worse! I have too attempted looking up underneath the dash and it looks pretty scary. Lots of things to mess up in an attempt to fix the problem! Somtimes I want to take a to the dash.. haha j/k but it is embarrassing when I have someone in the car and they look at the dash and then my clutch starts squeaking and they are like dang I thought Toyotas were supposed to be the best. Then we get in a argument because my buddy drives a Ford... And me being a Toyota Fanatic well nuff said....
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Dash rattle fix

My 2000 Taco had the infamous dash rattle. An easy fix is to get some round sprinkler or drip system tubing to place in between the front of the dash and the windshield. It comes in various diameters and colors, can be found at any hardware store, and can be cut to fit. The pressure of the tubing between the windshield and dash usually dampens the rattle. I found that the black worked out great because it blended in between the windshield and dash. Looks pretty clean and killed all the noise. You could also take some of the door weather stripping and do the same thing. Looks clean as well and has an adhesive backing so it will stay put. Give that a try.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 AM

that is a good idea! lol
going to give it a try
Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM

i have this same problem is it hard to fix?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I wouldn't spray WD-40 the clutch master shaft....

I would grease it with some moly lube, or similar thick grease so it will actually stay on there and help keep that boot lubed.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM

I've got the same squeak coming from my clutch. However; mine is coming from my clutch fork. I can feel vibration in the clutch fork when the clutch pedal is depressed. Anyone know how to take care of this? I checked my pedal spring everything there looks good.

I'm guessing the only way to get in there is to pull the tranny?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by TRDTACO
Has anyone encountered the Squeaky Clutch Problem in there Tacoma's? I have noticed that sometimes when I press my clutch in to change gears it will squeak. It functions fine but the sqeak can sometimes get on my nerves.
Also the only other complaint is a rattle in my dash? These are the only problems I have ever had out of my vehicle. Any advise on how to fix these two minor problems would be greatly appreciated.
I have the exact 2 issues with my 99 tacoma. Right in the middle of the dash it rattles and is really annoying. It was aweful when I threw mud tires on the truck. Forced to throw my stock rims and tires on because it was so bad. Anyone know what this is?