Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sport Hood Scooped Hood Scoop FAQ Write-Up

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sport Hood Scooped Hood Scoop FAQ Write-Up

this is a quick-ish run down of what you need, what you don't need, and what i have found useful in putting a sport hood or scooped hood on a 3rd generation 4runner that didn't come with the sport hood stock from the factory.

Name:  4runner_10.jpg
Views: 16354
Size:  97.5 KB

Parts needed:
12mm wrench or socket/ratchet (hood bolts)
10mm wrench or socket/ratchet (bulge bolts)
Phillips head screwdriver

Parts purchased from a Toyota dealer (or elsewhere if you can find them)
53301-35170 Hood Sub-Assy, Sport Hood ($325.29)
76181-35901 Bulge Hood ($114.15)
76192-35010 Plate, Hood Bulge ($13.20)
76182-35020 Guide, Hood Air ($13.58)
90263-04054 Rivet ($0.57) X 2
90167-45005 Screw, Pan Tappin ($0.72)
76183-12030 Protector, Hood ($0.71)
90179-06324 Nut ($2.20) X4
76187-35010 Retainer, Hood ($0.89)
76184-12020 Protector, Hood ($0.71) Don't Buy
76185-35010 Protector, Hood ($7.00) Don't Buy

OK, let's start with the hood. it will come in a black primer from the dealer and you will want to get it painted, probably before install unless you want to test fit it first to make sure it fits properly. the hood has the hump on it but has an open area in front of the hump where the "Bulge" fits in.

This is a picture of the black hood and the white fiberglass "Bulge" piece when I test fit my hood before painting.
Name:  hoodscooptestfit01small.jpg
Views: 15274
Size:  86.8 KB

The "Bulge" is a fiberglass piece that fits in the opening in the hood and is secured with four nuts using a 10mm wrench. before you put this in, you will want to put together the mesh piece etc that goes inside this part. you will also want to have this piece painted as well, it comes unpainted plain white.

The first part that goes in the Bulge is the "Guide" which is a black plastic piece that i believe is used to "guide" water that accumulates in the bulge back out through tiny holes in the hood and harmlessly into the engine compartment.

here is a picture of the "plate" and the "guide" pieces:
Name:  plate_guide.jpg
Views: 8850
Size:  153.7 KB

Second, the "Plate" or Mesh fits snugly inside the guide, there are four holes that line up in the Plate, Guide, and Bulge so you know everything is lined up correctly. You will need two rivets to secure the plate, guide, and bulge together; they go through two of the holes between those pieces. The rivets from Toyota are black (or dark brown, i can't remember) and seem to be a bit longer than what is available at the local hardware store, this is so they are long enough to fit through the bulge, plate, and guide and will secure them together.

how the plate and guide fit together:
Name:  plate_guide_assembled.jpg
Views: 8638
Size:  157.3 KB
these two pieces slide into the bulge piece and get riveted in.

Once you have the bulge piece assembled, flip it over and there is a hole near the front of the bulge on the under side. This is where the "Retainer" goes.
Name:  retainerinstalled.jpg
Views: 8457
Size:  132.0 KB
This piece is just another little plastic clip that helps secure the Bulge to the hood, and probably helps keep the front part of the bulge held down closer toward the front. It is held in place with one phillips head screw as shown in the picture.
Name:  retainer02.jpg
Views: 8653
Size:  146.9 KB

*It is up to you whether you feel this is necessary, it might help or it might not; or you may decide to buy the retainer but source the screw from a hardware store instead of shelling out $.72, for ease i just bought it from the dealer.

Now it's time to slide the Bulge assembly into the open area on the sport hood (get your mind out of the gutter! ).
this is just the sport hood with the bulge piece missing, you can see the metal part of the hood where the bulge piece mounts to:
Name:  sporthood_bulgeopening.jpg
Views: 10702
Size:  80.8 KB
there really is no wrong way to do this, there are four threaded pieces on the underside of the bulge that go through holes in the hood. the retainer should snap into it's designated place on the hood itself.
Name:  sporthood_opening.jpg
Views: 9516
Size:  57.8 KB
Next, just thread the four nuts on the underside of the hood and tighten them down with your 10mm wrench.
Name:  bulgeattaching.jpg
Views: 8658
Size:  63.9 KB

and all attached!
Name:  sporthood_underneath.jpg
Views: 8496
Size:  64.3 KB
*again, you might be able to source the nuts at a hardware store and save yourself some dough since the dealer charges $2.20 a piece, i am not sure what the threads are for these at this time. You will need FOUR (4).

this is the bulge piece fully assembled with the guide and plate, all attached to the hood:
Name:  bulgeinstalled.jpg
Views: 8460
Size:  57.4 KB
so now, some common questions i came up with about what was needed and what was re-used from your old hood, install tips, etc.

1. you obviously need the parts i listed above from Toyota. Parts re-used from the old hood are:
-your hinges and the 12mm bolts that secure the hood to the hinges.
-your washer sprayer nozzle thing-a-ma-bobbers.
-tubing from washer sprayer nozzle thing-a-ma-bobbers to your washer pump or whatever it attaches to, i can't remember right now
Name:  washerhosespass.jpg
Views: 8560
Size:  83.9 KB
Name:  washerhosesdriver.jpg
Views: 8652
Size:  88.4 KB
-the protective rubber piece that is on the front part of the underside of the hood (see picture), and possibly some new push tabs to hold it in (i broke all of mine taking this piece off the old hood).
-if you have a bug deflector, i guess you'll have to figure out how to put that on the new hood, i left mine off.
Name:  sporthood_reuse_label.jpg
Views: 8562
Size:  84.8 KB

2. A tip when putting the hood on: put down some tape on the fenders to keep anything from being scratched. i have a couple that need wet sanding now from some "oopsies" when fitting it the first time. also, have a couple friends help you out. one person on each side of the hood holding it and a third to thread and tighten the bolts is optimal.

3. getting it to fit right. you can loosen the bolts on the hinges to fit the hood side to side so you don't have super small or super huge panel gaps. for the front of the hood, you can use the little rubber stoppers under the hood to raise and lower the hood a little bit if it's off up or down in the front.
Name:  hoodadjustmentDS.jpg
Views: 8734
Size:  97.6 KB
Name:  hoodadjustmentPS.jpg
Views: 8765
Size:  88.5 KB

4. before you slam the hood down for the first time, test fit it gently to make sure the hood latch is aligned with the hood. mine was perfect, but you never know, and it would be a shame to get to this point and have a mishap!

5. one other tip. the threaded pieces on the bulge are screw type things that dig into the fiberglass of the bulge piece and the other side is the threaded piece for the nuts to hold it on the hood. when i test fit mine, i went to take that piece out, and instead of the nut loosening, the entire screw portion came out of the bulge piece. to fix this, i put some JB Weld in each hole and then screwed the threaded pieces in and left overnight. now they are solidly in there and don't come out when i loosen the nuts on the bulge piece, the way it should work.

That's it! that's all i can think of right now. if i have something to add later i will, or if you think of something i've missed please feel free to add to this as well.

misc pics that may help:
bulge nuts:
Name:  bulgenuts.jpg
Views: 8569
Size:  134.1 KB

close up view of the inside of the bulge without the guide and plate installed:
Name:  bulgeopening.jpg
Views: 8662
Size:  87.8 KB

this is the back of the bulge with two of the "protectors" installed, there are two little "feet" areas on the back that meet with the hood, this is where i used RTV for added protection:
Name:  bulge_rear_protectors.jpg
Views: 8589
Size:  71.4 KB
Name:  protectors.jpg
Views: 8514
Size:  118.8 KB

the underside of the bulge:
Name:  bulge_underside.jpg
Views: 8464
Size:  95.2 KB

OEM BABY!
Name:  GenuineToyota.jpg
Views: 8643
Size:  59.9 KB
did i forget anything?

*I've edited this for two reasons: 1. RTV/Silicone is a BAD BAD BAD idea on anything and I don't recommend it, it's messy and once dry is hard to remove. It worked OK for what I used it on here but now that I'm repainting I would recommend using the "protectors" supplied by Toyota or make your own with 3M Clear Protective Film. 2. I still recommend filling the little drain holes but I would recommend using the supplied Toyota rivets to attach the guide and plate to the bulge piece. In a pinch the button cap bolts and nuts are OK, but the rivets are a cleaner install if used properly. I did not have a rivet gun that was up to par and that is why I had problems, find one that works and do it right.

Last edited by pattycakes77; 07-31-2012 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SugarRhino (10-02-2023)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good! Thanks for the write up!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE job pattycakes! Please submit your write-up here.
Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Excellent pictures, instructions, and details!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 AM

Patrick-You amaze me!

Thanks for your fast response to all my pm's. And awesome and thorough write-up!

I'm still waiting on my buldge, I already test fitted the new hood...and I'm debating on pulling the trigger on LineX. I'll probably post in about a week when finished, too.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 AM

First class write-up.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Finally a good thread for people to refer to so they can see that you can't just buy the hood with a hole in it and be done or you could if you want to look ghetto.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by blarchitect
First class write-up.
x2!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! That is an expensive "mod" ...looks nice I guess...pretty much like a stock vehicle
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

And to guys who add the scoop it's worth every penny....but yes,it's pricey and I'm glad I already have one.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Great write up, excellent job. This is in my future. Not near future, darn it all.......but future nonetheless!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM

great writeup....got a question for ya

I'm missing the mesh plate screen thing, where can I buy one of those?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
great writeup....got a question for ya

I'm missing the mesh plate screen thing, where can I buy one of those?
i bought mine from the dealer. i know of no other source to get the rest of the "guts" of the sport hood. i know they have after market hoods and the carbon fiber hoods, but i've never seen an after market bulge, guide, or plate.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM

quick question. mine is a sr5 sport, no hood scoop. is that right?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

What year?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM

its a 99
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 AM

great write up and attention to detail! my question is this... what does it do other than change the aesthetics?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 99 sas runner
its a 99
there was no "sport" edition in 99, the scooped hood came on the Highlander edition
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM

So I just got my 99 last week. No hood scoop. I do like it. but....

I was looking through the pics and I thought the hood scoop had a purpose. Like bringing cool air into engine bay. However from your pics it looks like the scoop is closed off on the backside. Am I missing something?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Quick question... How much did it run ya to paint the hood and bulge piece?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Quick question... How much did it run ya to paint the hood and bulge piece?
I paid $180 for mine, turned out pretty nice, not quite OEM quality mainly because i don't think they baked it, just let it dry. But other then not being as hard as OEM it looks fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Hood Scooped Hood Scoop FAQ Write-Up