Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sport Hood assembly instructions, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sport Hood assembly instructions, etc

hey everyone. just bought the sport hood and all the other goodies to go along with it and i've got the scoop insert piece in but i'm wondering what all the other stuff is. i can figure out the other two scoop insert pieces i think but there are all kinds of little plastic strips, the two rivets, one screw, and misc other stuff that i have no idea where they go. is there anyone who knows or is there a step by step on what goes where and in what order?

the next step is paint and i'd like some input from anyone who wants to put their $.02 in. i have a '98 4runner painted in Desert Dune Pearl and i'm worried about the paint matching. i've heard about blending the fenders but i really don't want to have them painted since they are in great condition. i've read about the spectrometers they have at some body shops to aid in the paint match but of course they will never guarantee that it will match. i had my rear license surround painted to match instead of the grey that it came with stock and it's a little darker and creamy looking than the original paint. so all this has me worried that it won't look right and i have a couple options that i'll share.
A. paint it all flat black to give it more "bad assness" but that would take away from the classiness that i think i've achieved thus far.
B. paint it as close as possible and have my eyes remind me of the non matching for the rest of my life.
C. perhaps a combination of black or perhaps a dark charcoal on the hood next to the fenders but then have the middle part the closest match of Desert Dune Pearl, this way it won't be super obvious if the two pearls don't match since the black will break it up. this would also kind of work with my future plan next year with herculining the bottom of the doors and rockers. is this crazy?

if you need a reference for what my 4runner looks like, check out my signature, or my avatar for that matter.

any input is appreciated. thanks

patrick
Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just had the Tailgate and Rear Bumper on our Land Cruiser replaced and repainted after being rear ended, paint is perfect cant tell any difference in paint color or shade, I would say go to the dealership and have them do it. At least they will be familiar with the color.

Just my .02

ps: I saw on ur pic page you have a TRD exhaust....how do you like it/is it a lot louder?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a tough call. I have seen a new silver taco with a black hood, and it looks mighty nice. but i can see how you would like to have the matched colour, and paint shops can get it pretty close nowadays. I dont think that an off colour would look right, and if you did two tone the desert dune should be the colour on the edges of the hood.
I think its time for you to hit up some photoshop skills
actually considering the hood of the 3rd gen along with a scoop there are a few possible schemes that would look nice

Last edited by Godzilla; 11-06-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 AM

bump for some paint ideas, anyone else?
thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Paint it the stock color. Have the shop buff the paint on the rest of the truck and it should all match.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 AM

If you're cheap like me, I'd just have a paint shop mix up some paint and put them in spray cans. Shouldn't be too much and you will have some touch up paint for any chips in the future.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 PM

got the hood painted now, and after some mishaps everything is home. i brought the hood, scoop, headlight trim pieces, and my old license plate surround in to be painted. i had them all primed, just needed scuffed a little and painted. well, i go to pick everything up and they forgot to do everything but the hood. so a week later i picked everything up, took the other pieces out and they didn't even scuff them so there are all kinds of imperfections, dirt, and wavy primer under the paint! you know how it goes, if you want it done right do it yourself! they cut me a deal to do everything since my brother works for the dealership, but i think they were rushed due to christmas coming up and we had some crazy ice and snowy weather that gave them lots of business the last couple weeks; so quality really suffered on the other pieces. the hood looks awesome, paint matches quite well and only a few blems, but it's not going in a show so i'm not too concerned about it, just wished they would have taken their time and done it right since i told them i wasn't in a hurry.

but, again, my question about how everything is assembled still remains. i've got a print off of the parts sheet but half of the little sticky things aren't on there, it's a crappy pic anyway, and it doesn't really show how it goes together anyway. there are 4 holes for the screen and plastic piece that goes in the scoop part, only two rivets; are the other holes just for drainage or something? anyone able to point me to a real assembly guide or check theirs from the factory, pics too if i'm lucky

thanks
patrick

merry christmas!