Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spare tire tools? where can I find some?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire tools? where can I find some?

Hello,
I recently got a 1996 Tacoma and although it does have a good spare and the bottle jack, there is no lug wrench or jack handle / crank deal... Does anyone know where to find these things? I have been looking on eBay & Craig's List for a month or more and nothing, Also checked with my local Junk yards and they want a freaking fortune for the set (w/jack only) about $100!

Or does anyone know what I might substitute instead? I know I can get a cheap ratchet & appropriate socket or star wrench but what about the spare tire crank? Anything that will work and be easily stored?

thanks,

Last edited by SuaveGato; 06-01-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Funny thing is - I swore I had two crankers and was willing to ship one down to you - but when I took a look....I didnt have 2 - I HAD NONE.

Just got off the phone with a bunch of wreckers - and nobody has any.

Now I'm wondering if the crank rod from other gens will work....or even off of a Pathfinder.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Hey thanks, I really appreciate the thought & effort... sucks that you don't even have one for yourself now... I talked to the guy at one of the wreckers here and he said that there are differences in them so that they are not all interchangeable... i.e. for the spare winch the rod can be too short and one type / year he even said the little hook thingy that goes onto the jack twist eye is too thick to fit into the channel on the spare winch? Not sure if he is right or not though? I may just end up getting a high lift and star wrench or "dedicated" ratchet & socket? and maybe just find some piece of rod, cut it length and weld a lug nut on one end and make the other end fit my spare winch? If I go with the high lift, I'm sure I could store the full length rod with that jack some how? If I can't find the stock tools reasonably priced, I will go that way for sure before I spend what I could get a high lift for on a stock tool kit... NO WAY!
thanks,

Last edited by SuaveGato; 06-01-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

i have a tool kit and lug wrench from my 2002 tacoma i would sell if someone wants to make an offer
Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Hello and thanks for the reply... I'm not sure if it would fit my 1996 though? The dood at the local junk yard told me that there are diff. length rods and diff sized "tips" on diff. years... I did however just find a "Knock Off" or "1 off" high Lift type jack at Harbor Freight for $37. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6530
will probably just go get one of them and be done with it?
thanks,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Suave, do you have sliders on your truck? If not, I wouldn't recommend the high lift untill you do. The rocker panels aren't strong enough, and the "tongue" of the high lifts aren't long enough to get under the frame safely. I would keep looking for a regular jack. Of course, this could be a good reason to get sliders... (My wife's not buying it, though. Still no luck for me... )
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM

Hey thanks, GOOD advice too! as it just so happens, I actually have a set of sliders en route as we speak! I found a pretty good deal on a set of 78 incher's with 4 weld on points per side, shipped to my door for $175. Here is a pic:
(Note, pictured is 58" set with 3 weld on points) They are due here Monday and I will be anxious to get welding! If anyone else is interested in them, Shoot me a reply or PM and I'll let you know how the quality etc. is when they arrive and where you can get some too.
thanks,
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SuaveGato
Hey thanks, GOOD advice too! as it just so happens, I actually have a set of sliders en route as we speak! I found a pretty good deal on a set of 78 incher's with 4 weld on points per side, shipped to my door for $175. Here is a pic:
(Note, pictured is 58" set with 3 weld on points) They are due here Monday and I will be anxious to get welding! If anyone else is interested in them, Shoot me a reply or PM and I'll let you know how the quality etc. is when they arrive and where you can get some too.
thanks,

Right on, that's a great price! (That's it, I'm selling some plasma! ) Well, in that case Suave, hi-lift away!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM

Just got back from Harbor Freight. they are having a huge 3 day sale, the place was a zoo! But I did find that Hi-Lift knock off jack, on sale for $29.99! it's not a Hi-Lift but for $30 the quality is plenty good enough for me! Also found a 4 ended star lug wrench on Sale for $4.99! So now all I need to make is a Rod to lower my spare tire winch and I'm set... With a High lift and for less than the junk yard wanted for the stock tool kit! YiPee!

If you don’t have a Harbor Freight near you or aren’t familiar with them, they are a low to mid end tool distributor. They are online as well and have reasonably priced shipping, even on heavy stuff! The quality isn’t name brand on most stuff but if you hunt, you can find some good deals… I picked up a 4&1/2" angle grinder for $9.99! who cares if it only lasts 6 months… at that price they are disposable 

Last edited by SuaveGato; 06-02-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM

FYI just took it out of the box and played around with it a little… seems pretty good, esp. for $30! Here are some pix.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 PM

When I got my 97 it had no tire tools. Wich is fine when you have a hi-lift and air tools but it sucks when you need to lower the spare tire.

Anyways, I went to a body shop that had a wrecked sequoia and paid them $10 for the tool set.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

well if anyone is interested i would not mine selling mine before i trade the truck
Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Just found out my spare tire kit for my sequoia 2005 and jack are all missing! How can I replace ?