Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sounds like ...... diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like ...... diagnosis

Well I noticed or didn't notice rather, the lack of tech write up or diagnosis types of problems for our vehicles. Now I know there are many vehicle types on this board bu many of us run the exact same engine, same driveline and similar modifications and so on. So I propose we start sort of a wiki if you will of this is what it sounds like what could it be or this is what this problem sounds like check you flux capacitor.

My current sounds like problem is a whiny noise that is throttle related and sounds like a loose bolt or something (light weight) vibrating rapidly at 45 and 75 mph. I though perhaps a universal but I don't know what those sound like pre-detonation. Thought maybe an exhaust leak again not knowing what it sounds like I'm at a loss. I have removed all the crap in the rear of the truck to determine if it was something loose or not.

Aaron
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Whine with or without acceleration? D-shaft u-joints.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 AM

you can check your exhaust system for loose bolts. Particularly on the Cat or the Resistor. I had a bold missing there and every time i hit 2000 or 4000 RPM's the thing would shake and sound like rubbing.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 AM

If you think it could be ping/pre-detonation, try some higher octane next time you fill up and see if that helps
Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Ok I pulled the drive shaft and put the rear axle on jack stands. The wheels don't seem to have to much play this way and that. The pinion on he other hand more over the pinion plate (part that mounts to the drive shaft) does seem to wobble a bit back and forth not so much up and down , I will check the u-joint after dinner but not sure I will diagnose it. Will it feels stupidly loose?

Aaron
Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Reports from the field!

The passenger side (the side suspect of bearing failure) had a gummy substance in the drum brake internals. Odd I though because usually it's just dust and nothing else. I though I could feel just the slightest movement with my hands at 9 and 3 o'clock on the pass side and felt like less on the driver side but I might be paranoid.

For giggles and turds I pulled the driver side as well and found nothing but dust as it should be. So I'm wondering if I'm loosing some diff oil through axle seal and the bearing is bad or what, I just don't know where to go from here the truck is on jack stands awaiting my next move.

On a side note the Rear u-joint feel fluid and free of play, the pinion flange or mount has a bit of left to right movement or clocking but no forward to back play, eliminating a bad pinion bearing, the diff is full but I will change the fluid as a preventative measure and add the slip junk from amsoil as the true track instructions suggest.

Though the mystery still remains what the f-bomb is that noise?
Aaron
Old 08-09-2009, 05:23 PM

I had read in another Wheel bearing post that someone thought the Diff oil had "washed out" the grease in the sealed bearing? I didn't even realize this was possible. Though some diff oil managed to get into my drum that's for certain, when I rubbed my fingers together with the mystery substance from the pass side it smeared and didn't come off, on the drive side it wiped right off. Oil on the side in question makes me think it was what I though a bad bearing though how and why is unknown. Well maybe not unknown 222K might have something to do with it.

Aaron
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Ok both axle shafts are out and there seems to be play in the bearing (I can see the inner race shift this way and that) I won;t even ask if this is normal because in the cycling and motorcycle world sealed bearing should have little to no movement what so ever. Off to the shop in the morning.

Aaron
Old 08-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Darn repost
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Well the mechanic wasn't impressed by how much or how little play was in the wheel bearing. He said 1/8" to 1/4" was a range he was familiar with. So I just bought new seals ad fluid to see if perhaps something went wrong there. He also suggested in the event this continued to bring it back when the noise was definitive.

Aaron
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 PM

I had a whine that increased with RPMs. Turned out to be the OD planetary gear in my tranny.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Well I pretty much sourced the noise to the rear of the vehicle. With a passenger in the rear the noise seems to be coming from the passenger rear. As I noted there was some gear oil in the rear pass brake drum and it smelled of it. I can remember distinctly the smell of hot or warm gear oil but was never able to source it. I use synthetic in the t-case and synthetic in the front diff, so that leaves the rear diff with reg gear oil and amsoil slip lock to leak out somewhere. So I replaced the axle seals an put it all back together, we will see how that goes. The noise only came at about 35-40 mph and would dissipate at either higher or lower speed. It was a whine for sure but as my mechanic said wait until it's worse and then bring it in so we are not guessing. Sound like good info to me.

Aaron