Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sony CD problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony CD problems

Right, so upon contacting my brother he's agreed I can salvage his old deck from his tercel as he's going to sell it shortly. The problem is that the volume button is either jammed with gunk...or is just malfunctioning. When using the cd player the volume lowers and lowers and lowers...Is there anyway to remove the facing and clean the volume selector...it is a toggle style. It's not the best deck out there, but it's better than a tape player, and its free another bonus for my cash strapped self.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:15 PM

cleaning

In theory you can clean the contacts - but a friend had the same volume problem and it ended up being a bad switch. He was fortunate since the "performance Guarantee" from Circuit City actually came through and resulted in simply getting a new one.

Is it a detachable face unit or will it involve completely undoing the head unit to get at the controls at the front of the box?

I would say cleaning it may work, but I wouldn't bet the farm. It sounds like the actual component (the toggle switch) is bad - which could only be replaced/soldered back on there. But just grab some alcohol and lint-free swabs, and see what happens. It isn't really usable at this point anyways, right?

Just be careful when you are putting it back together...
Old 03-18-2003, 04:24 PM

yup faulty switch....not so lucky here.

Right, well it's a removable face pannel, which I have subsequently and carefully dismantled. the switch itself is no longer operable. I was hoping for the best, but wasn't so lucky as your friend witht the warranty. But I was considering removing the am toggle and substituting it for the old volume. I don't really use am radio. Anyway thnx for the input, out of curiosity any odds on the newly soldered switch actually working>? I think a more delicate hand then mine will be required.

thnx 'gain

peace
Old 03-18-2003, 04:54 PM

Re: yup faulty switch....not so lucky here.

Originally posted by pharoahchillirunnR
Right, well it's a removable face pannel, which I have subsequently and carefully dismantled. the switch itself is no longer operable. I was hoping for the best, but wasn't so lucky as your friend witht the warranty. But I was considering removing the am toggle and substituting it for the old volume. I don't really use am radio. Anyway thnx for the input, out of curiosity any odds on the newly soldered switch actually working>? I think a more delicate hand then mine will be required.

thnx 'gain

peace
DOH! sorry to hear that dood - so I am thinking you can try for the 'ol switch swap. I think my only concern would be to make sure the contacts are all the same from one location to another. But yeah - the contacts are going to be darn tiny - but in theory (cough cough) it should work.

Of course, these are famous last words. Hopefully there shouldn't be many contact points since it's pretty basic - give it a shot - it would be sweet if it works!

Vaya con Dios....