Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sonoran Steel 7.1 vs 1.1

Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoran Steel 7.1 vs 1.1

Okay so I searched an read til I couldn't stand it anymore. If I missed a thread that covers this, please, point it out.

So, I have settled on doing either the 7.1 or 1.1 lift.

Here are the mods that I will be doing within the next 6months; front&rear bumpers, wabfab 66" sliders, winch, full budbuilt skids, yakima basket. Those are the only mods I think that affect the sprung weight of the vehicle.

I like the 7.1 because it doesn't give the raked look; I am not really digging it. However, my concern is the the OME springs won't hold up under the weight of those mods.

I suppose the questions I have are these:
-Will the 7.1 kit support the weight without sagging?
-Does anyone have a measurement of ride height of the 1.1 with similar mods?
-Any thoughts on getting an even ride height, that will hold the weight, and perform as well as the SS lifts?
-What about some higher spring rate OMEs in the rear?

Thanks guys
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 PM

same dilemma here...

hey there, i am just debating the same thing: 7.1 vs 1.1...

From Steve's comments on his website, it seems that the LC coils in the 1.1 kit are fairly soft. That would mean that putting weight in the back will definitely decrease the 3.5" of lift. He stresses that the kit is designed for custom rear bumpers or, at minimum, tow hitch. Maybe he'll chime in...

In your case, most of your mods are spread evenly over front and back (both bumpers, sliders ,winch in front, basket in rear...). I too am concerned with the raked look, but i started to think about the front to back weight differences. I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but it's more food for thought...

My current thinking is to lean towards the 1.1 kit because of all the stuff that I usually carry in the back:

-5gal water jug: 45lbs
-recovery gear: ~30lbs
-hi-lift jack: ~25lbs
-fridge w/food+beer: 45-60lbs
-roof basket: 22lbs

basically, at least 200lbs sitting over the rear axle at all times...

In addition, most of the time I tow a trailer with 100-130lbs tongue weight, which is way out from the axle.

Getting the 1.1. lift would hopefully mean that I'd be level when towing and, maybe, a bit higher when not towing. This would be good for trails anyways, since the spare and the tow hitch decreases the departure angle as is.

on my stock suspension now and with the above combo, i am about 1"-1.5" lower in back when towing and 0.5"-0.75" lower without the trailer. However, I don't know whether LC coils would respond the same as the current old stock springs...

Last edited by kajko; 11-27-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same concerns when I ordered my kit. While my truck is used as my daily driver, I do want the truck to be "capable". After talking with Steve and telling him my plans for building a sleeping platform along with storage drawers, he encouraged me to go with the 1.1 even though I only plan on running stock bumpers.

Give Steve a call, he's more than willing to answer any questions.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 AM

I've pretty much had both. The "1.1" rides much better than the "7.1" because the LC coils are softer. The rake really doesnt look that bad. I have 95 LC's right now and Tundras with a custom 3/8" topout spacer. I'll pist a picture tonight. If you really are getting a custom rear bumper then definately go with the 1.1.

Last edited by Nate08; 11-28-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM

the rear bumper is last on the hit list, but unless my situation changes moneywise, it won't be more than 9months before it's on there. Steve is encouraging me to go with the 7.1 and upgrade(well kinda, he also says the 1.1 is the best regardless, haha) but I just feel like if the whole rig is going together within the next year(tops) then I might as well go with the 1.1. I will be adding some weight with the mods at all times, and then loading it for camping, and some towing.

If the ride quality is pretty smooth on the 1.1 I think I can get over the rake for 6months or so. I will be running 285/75s so I guess it won't look too crazy, judging from the photos on the site. I do have a factory tow hitch for now.

Nate if you get a chance, please, throw those pics up.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 AM

has any one ever tried just cutting the LC coils down to give about an inch less lift?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by onesojourner
has any one ever tried just cutting the LC coils down to give about an inch less lift?
I doubt it would work. The tighter small wrap at the end of the LC's is barely small enough to fit no the axle placement of a 4Runner. It just gets wider from there up. And, the last wrap up top has the plateau you need to sit the coil properly. Cutting is a bad idea. Seriously though, the rake is acceptable. It isn't bad at all. It gives it that agressive look. This picture is from Steve's site. www.sonoransteel.com. I have a little less rake than this. My LC's have 55K on them. I'll post a comparison picture later, but I vote strongly for the 1.1. Much better ride on road, and far more capable offroad.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Nate08, when you load up the rear with stuff (moving, camping, whatever), does the back compress easily? in other words, would 200-300 lbs of stuff make it go down an inch?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for comparison here is a rig with the 1.1 well equipped.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108...k-firm-130122/
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM

ive got the 1.51 kit with the rubicon express links.

the rake does go down after a while but you will want some weight in the back like it says on his site.

if you have the money, then go with the 1.51 kit.

the LC coils and the new links make the rear end flex like no other.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRDrunner
ive got the 1.51 kit with the rubicon express links.

the rake does go down after a while but you will want some weight in the back like it says on his site.

if you have the money, then go with the 1.51 kit.

the LC coils and the new links make the rear end flex like no other.
FYI...Sonoran Steel is not selling a 1.51 kit at this time.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM

i had no idea.

why is that?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
i had no idea.

why is that?
Like any good vendor, Steve constantly works to improve his products. I am sure he is just updating his offerings.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
i had no idea.

why is that?
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Like any good vendor, Steve constantly works to improve his products. I am sure he is just updating his offerings.
Last week i went to order the 1.51 kit and to my disappointment, i saw it was no longer available.
I still ordered the 1.1 kit but i'll try to recap what Steve said to make the info a bit more clear...
The rubicon express links were discontinued due to the company that made the rare metric sized bushings. The company "packed up and left state" or something along those lines.

The good news is S.S. is currently working on a similar link that uses American standard bushings and hardware. Further details can be provided by Steve.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by kajko
Nate08, when you load up the rear with stuff (moving, camping, whatever), does the back compress easily? in other words, would 200-300 lbs of stuff make it go down an inch?
I haven't really loaded it down but once. I had 3 people in the back, about 480 lbs. It absorbed bumps alot better and the handling was actually better. And, yes, it sagged down to almost level with those people and a floor jack in the back. And I got my brother to stand on the hitch once too, (225 tongue weight test) and it dropped approximately 1.25". Thats pretty soft.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Just for comparison here is a rig with the 1.1 well equipped.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108...k-firm-130122/
Note the custom rear bumper. That adds 120+ extra pounds to the rear.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

The Machine Shop that made the spacers to fit the Rubicon Express Joints into a 4Runner mount went out of business. The machinist moved to New York State.

He was my son's little league coach and the girl that actually made the spacers I met in my welding class, she was an aprentice. So hopefully you are seeing here that I had a major hookup to get those made. Without these people willing to do this, the product is no longer able to be made.

All of the other machine shops want a huge run of tens of thousands of parts and many thousands of dollars to do it. I can not tie up a huge amount of money on spacers that are dependent on another companies (Rubicon Express) product. They may change it or discontinue it at their will. It would be foolish to assume they will make it the exact same way forever.

That being said, I have already made a set of new links, with massive DOM tube ends, the same indestructible 1/4" wall DOM center tube and Genuine Toyota Bushings hydraulically pressed in. Yes Toyota will make these for a long time and not change the design. In the end, the price will probably even be a bit lower than it was before.

Life changes and you have to change with it.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nate08
Note the custom rear bumper. That adds 120+ extra pounds to the rear.
It actually only adds 50 pounds as you remove the stock bumper and hitch which weight 75 pounds. The bumper does weight 125 pounds, but replaces two pieces you remove.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
It actually only adds 50 pounds as you remove the stock bumper and hitch which weight 75 pounds. The bumper does weight 125 pounds, but replaces two pieces you remove.
Oh. I thought it added 120 over the stock bumper . My bad....thanks for clearing it up!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Nate08
I haven't really loaded it down but once. I had 3 people in the back, about 480 lbs. It absorbed bumps alot better and the handling was actually better. And, yes, it sagged down to almost level with those people and a floor jack in the back. And I got my brother to stand on the hitch once too, (225 tongue weight test) and it dropped approximately 1.25". Thats pretty soft.
Thanks a bunch Nate! That's what i was looking for, first hand experience and numbers!

Your observations confirm my initial thoughts. SS 1.1 lift it is... now i just have to save $$$...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sonoran Steel 7.1 vs 1.1