Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sonoran Steel 1.2 Kit Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoran Steel 1.2 Kit Help!!!

Hey guys,

This is a question to all who have the 1.2 kit or similar on a 3rd gen. I just installed my kit yesterday. Has anyone experienced a shudder in the rear end while gone over bumps on the highway? if i am going 100% straight its not bad. but if the highway turns at all or im changing lanes, it can really mess me up. like if i was not braced for it, i might loose control. this is only at 60 mph too.

any ideas what it could be? thanks in advance guys! i really need you help.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't noticed any problems with mine.

Did you get your alignment yet since you installed the lift? If not, I wouldn't drive it around to much until you get the truck aligned... because it rode pretty dangerously for me when I drove it from my house to the dealer to get my alignment... and that was on city roads, not the highway.

Are you sure you got everything tightened? Had you loosened the control arm bolts during the install? Did you re-tighten all of them? Did you properly adjust the length of the panhard bar? Are your springs properly seated? Did you put your sway bar back on with the relocation brackets?

Add some weight in the cargo area of the Runner (a few hundred pounds) and take it for a drive to see if that helps. The 1.2 lift is quite high in the rear until it settles. Keeping some weight in the back for a while would help it settle sooner.

Just some things to check out I guess. worse comes to worse, give Steve a call... he'll be more than happy to help you out, I'm sure.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM

I did SS 7.2 this past spring and didn't notice any problems. My initial reaction is:
1) Make sure everything is tight
2) Get the alignment done
3) Did you do the panhard bar correctly? I did this a couple of times until I was satisfied I understood how the bar impacted driving and that my installation method would work.
4) Loosening the rear control arms during installation is critical. If you didn't do this, do it.

Not understanding the exact nature of the shudder, other than that it happens over bumps in a corner points me more to the panhard bar or control arms than anything else.

MadCityRich
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM

I have the 1.2, no problems. My first thought would be your panhard bar is improperly set.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM

thanks guys! got the alignment and tires on it and its loads better already. During an alignment would they reset the control arms? After all the install headaches i think i forgot to do that in the rear.

im pretty sure my panhard bar is set properly.

if i go and reset the rear control arms, will that totally mess up an alignment?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rear links?

The only thing adjustable in your rear suspension is the panhard, unless you have some fany adjustable links.

Last edited by crolison; 10-28-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM

You mean the end links on sway bar? If so just reattach with no problems on alignment.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM

There is no adjustment for alignment at the rear of the 4Runner (although now your panhard is adjustable, but shouldn't need to be adjusted if you did it correctly when you installed it). If you didn't loosen and re-tighten the rear links (like the instructions said to) when you installed the lift, then it could have a minor effect on the caster up front when you do it, but it would be negligible. It would be no more of an effect than when your rear springs finally settle.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM

There is no adjustment for alignment at the rear of the 4Runner (although now your panhard is adjustable, but shouldn't need to be adjusted if you did it correctly when you installed it). If you didn't loosen and re-tighten the rear links (like the instructions said to) when you installed the lift, then it could have a minor effect on the caster up front when you do it, but it would be negligible. It would be no more of an effect than when your rear springs finally settle.
Yep. You would need to loosen all the link mounting points. Maybe bounce the 4runner up and down a few times after they are loose to make sure they aren't bound up, then retighten. This all occurs with the 4Runner on the ground, without it being jacked up. I don't think it would change your panhard bar angles much, but there could be some minor tweak needed afterward. Probably not enough to matter.

MadCityRich
Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Yep. You would need to loosen all the link mounting points. Maybe bounce the 4runner up and down a few times after they are loose to make sure they aren't bound up, then retighten. This all occurs with the 4Runner on the ground, without it being jacked up. I don't think it would change your panhard bar angles much, but there could be some minor tweak needed afterward. Probably not enough to matter.

MadCityRich
I agree with this. If the panhard bar was set as per the instructions when the lift was installed, no further adjustment should be required after loosening and re-tightening the control arms.