Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Someone tried to steal my Catlytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone tried to steal my Catlytic converter

Is this a normal thing to happen. I went out to my car the other day and started it up. I thought i heard something funny so i rolled down my window and sure enough an "exhaust leak". Well i drove to a friends apt and by the time i got there the noise had gotten alot louder. It sounded like i was driving a tractor. I looked under the car and someone had taken a Sawzall to my exhaust right infront of my rear Cat. I couldnt believe my eyes. I went by a local muffler shop today to see if they could fit me in to run a bead over the cut and they said that a a few days ago a guy came in with a 4runner and someone had stolen theirs.
I would be pretty mad if it weren't so off the wall and weird!

Oh yeh, could this be causing me to throw a p0420 code?
Remember its just before the back cat.
Thanks guys, and remember to look out for the Cat thief!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry it was me, i have a thing for tubes with weird materials in them
Old 11-15-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ssbogger
Is this a normal thing to happen. I went out to my car the other day and started it up. I thought i heard something funny so i rolled down my window and sure enough an "exhaust leak". Well i drove to a friends apt and by the time i got there the noise had gotten alot louder. It sounded like i was driving a tractor. I looked under the car and someone had taken a Sawzall to my exhaust right infront of my rear Cat. I couldnt believe my eyes. I went by a local muffler shop today to see if they could fit me in to run a bead over the cut and they said that a a few days ago a guy came in with a 4runner and someone had stolen theirs.

would insurance cover something like that? if they had actually gotten it?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ssbogger

That is bizarre ! I have heard of air bag theft and stealing rims but this is a first. Perhaps it was an attempt at sabotage and they could not tell the exhaust from the brake lines

Seriously, what is the price of a factory cat nowadays.... $700 ???

The other thing you do is airbag it so when you park, it drops to its knees and no one can get underneath...lifting it, you are asking for trouble

Sorry man,

David
Old 11-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

You could always put a good alarm system with a motion, shock, and noise sensor on. I just had the DEI alarm in my 4Runner upgraded and a new alarm installed in the Camry. I installed multiple new sensors on the 4Runner. Now, you can't even tap the thing without it chirping multiple times. I tried putting a jack under it to simulate someone stealing my tires and the thing went full blast. I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! My buddy sells DEI alarms. PM me if you need/want one.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:17 PM

Ah, a cat burglar
Seriously thats messed up never heard of such a thing.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

I can just see some idiot under a car just sawing away, some people....
Old 11-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Banned

Wow...thats sad....but what stoped them from actually taking it? Those ÅÅÅÅers are $800+ from the dealer, and I think the second one has an O2 sensor that they would probably screw up, so youd have to replace that too...

I think if you report it to the cops, since it has such high value, that insurance would pay for it, minus the deductible, and that your premium would go up....
Old 11-15-2004, 04:19 PM

That is wierd, but I have my taillights stole and my little lights for the liscense plate. Glad they didnt take my hellas. I can bet they stole your cat because they didnt want to spend the 680 at the dealer. The only vehicle some people need is their shoes.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:26 PM

Someone must have heard about all the precious metals that comprise the catalyst... I think that it would take too much work to profit from the sale of those metals if they had a way to separate them somehow.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
I think if you report it to the cops, since it has such high value, that insurance would pay for it, minus the deductible, and that your premium would go up....
That would be a comprehensive claim, so the premium shouldn't go up.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

lol..i meant it wouldnt..i thought one thing, typed another..
Old 11-15-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by red 59
That is wierd, but I have my taillights stole and my little lights for the liscense plate. Glad they didnt take my hellas. I can bet they stole your cat because they didnt want to spend the 680 at the dealer. The only vehicle some people need is their shoes.
Well they didnt actually steal it but they came close. I just went and got it re-welded so I should be good.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:02 PM

Reminds me of a story here in my town. A tow company wanted to boost tows and shop work for a buddy so he went all over town cutting spark plug wires. He got caught! You never know, maybe its an exhaust shop trying to get your service.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
This is generally not true for Personal Auto Policies. This loss would fall under the vanadalism category where it would result in a deductable of reduced amount (sometimes down to zero) and no chance of the premiums being increased. Vandalism is considered a loss-other-than-collision.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM

Aftermarket cats are from $100-$200, no since and paying a fortune for a bad flowing stock one. Have you guys never heard of aftermarket hi-flow cats?????????????
Old 11-15-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by PO2SIMS
Aftermarket cats are from $100-$200, no since and paying a fortune for a bad flowing stock one. Have you guys never heard of aftermarket hi-flow cats?????????????
yeah for $39.95 on Ebay.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

yes so do I

Originally Posted by fiveofeen
sorry it was me, i have a thing for tubes with weird materials in them
Ha thats funny, I too have a problem with tubes with some weird material in them also......
Old 11-16-2004, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

If the OEM cat is damaged then it is ok to replace with an aftermarket model and I'd just replace it with a high flow version which go for around $100 from most vendors.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Guys, they aren't stupid... when the insurance company is paying, they have to buy what was on the vehicle... which is a toyota cat. So, you just tell the insurance co that you need a toyota cat, get the check and voala! $4-500 in your pocket and you have a hi-flow cat. If another 4Runner came into the shop, chances are they aren't going for the "precious materials" but more-so the cat/exhaust. Man, what an F'er...

Ps, s-where is your 4Roc logo? You have to sport it til you become a trator!

Quick Reply: Someone tried to steal my Catlytic converter