Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Someone keyed my 03

Old 10-24-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone keyed my 03

I'm so mad. I went to Shop Rite yesterday to pick up some groceries, came back and some J*rk keyed the passenger side of my 03 4runner. Truck only has 1800 miles on it. I parked really far away next to a curb. Only car within 100 feet of me was a Chevy Trailblazer that was backed in the opposite spot. When I pulled in I said to myself that this guy won't be able to open his hatch because I am behind him. Went in for 10 minutes, came out and the Trailblazer was gone, a cart was up against my front bumber and both doors on the drivers side were keyed to the primer. Why do people want to ruin anything nice I get? Anyway, uncle owns a body shop so I went straight there. They have to paint both door and blend it into the quarter panel and from fender.

Just venting, but sucks....
Old 10-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

I know how that feels. I went to Wal-Mart one day for less than 10 minutes when I had my older Toyota PU, and when I came out someone had run into the rear bumper pushing it in to the right-rear quarter panel and then they drove off. I just don't understand how someone could care so little for other people's things. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Dude that sucks! What's wrong with people?

Was there anything you did to instigate this? Any traffic altercation or did you look at him wrong?

What color is your rig?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Parking the 4Runner

Man, I hate it when somebody messes with my stuff! But it sounds like from what you typed that you knew that parking close and next to the blazer was a bad idea and going to piss them off by blocking access to their hatch. I always park my 4Runner in B.F.E. because I figure all the a$$e$ that would hit me or key my rig are too damn lazy to walk that far, plus it is always a buggy free zone! My wife always BMWs when I park so far out, but her Sienna has battle scars all up and down the door panels, not even a nick on the 4Runner. It takes a little more effort to park out and away, but I just count it up to exercise! If you don't make it easy for them to screw you over, they won't put forth the effort! Just be thankful you have a relative talented in the right areas!

Hope you get it fixed soon and good as new!

Brian
Old 10-24-2003, 07:12 AM

The truck is a sport that is Silver. It has the grey cladding around the bottom, so at least that's less that needs to be painted. I'm pretty sure it had to be the person with the Trailblazer. I was so far away from anyone else, up against a curb on one side. But they were gone when I got back. I wish I had caught them..... Oh well, I'm looking at the positive in this, the truck had a good door ding in the drivers door when I bought it new (they gave me a discount at Toyota because of the ding), so at least I'll get that fixed. Plus, it is my uncles shop, so I know the work will be really good. They painted a whole side of my BMW M3 that was Metallic Charcoal, and it came out great. My biggest problem is that I worked for a year in the body shop, so I'm pretty picky and can see things other people would never notice.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe there was a parking lot survillence camera that got the guy on tape. Better hurry though they record over those things pretty fast.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

I always stay away from parking behind pick-up trucks especially in the Lowes and Home Depot stores where they maybe loading up big or long items. That sucks he keyed you, damn less than 2000 miles huh. You're probably lucky you didn't catch him, I'd probably end up in prison if I saw someone vandalizing my vehicle.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:04 PM

I was about to suggest the camera. A guy i work with has a son who's truck got backed into at a Wal-Mart. When they looked at the camera, he said they zoomed in so good you could have seen a speck of dust on the license plate. I would DEFINITELY look into this...and quick! Make the bastard pay!
Old 10-24-2003, 04:20 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
so Scott....what day and time did it happen? People tend to be creatures of habit......paybacks can be a real ........
Old 10-24-2003, 04:22 PM

man that sucks ... i would suggest getting a copy of the security camera tape asap ...

on another note.. why did you park there? the trailblazer parked there so he wouldn't be close to any one ... but of all the spaces you park so close that he can't open his tailgate... he probably thought you where tryin to be a jacka$$ .... i don't condone what the owner of the trailblazer did. .. but if i parked out in bofoo country in the parking lot and someone parked so close to me that i could lick the paint i would be quite upset also.....

Old 10-24-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by phoenixtroy
man that sucks ... i would suggest getting a copy of the security camera tape asap ...

on another note.. why did you park there? the trailblazer parked there so he wouldn't be close to any one ... but of all the spaces you park so close that he can't open his tailgate... he probably thought you where tryin to be a jacka$$ .... i don't condone what the owner of the trailblazer did. .. but if i parked out in bofoo country in the parking lot and someone parked so close to me that i could lick the paint i would be quite upset also.....

When I first read your post this is exactly what I was thinking too. Don't get me wrong, it's a dickless thing to do, to key someone's car. But on the other hand, there were 20 other parking spots and you picked the one that blocked him from opening his hatch...

You were both in the wrong, so just get it fixed at your uncle's place and chalk this one up to experience...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:49 PM

Man that is so wrong, I know how you must feel. Had my brand new 2003 Altima SL keyed just a few months after buying it. I could have broke my foot off in someone's a$$. Contact the manager's office of shopRight and request they review the security tape. Hope you don't have to spend too much money on the repairs. The scatchs on my car cost me $800 bucks because I didn't want to report it to my insurance and suffer higher premiums.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks, I always park way out in parking lots and when I return their are usually other nice cars parked every other spot away from me, if I can't park by myself I pic the roomies spot next to other nice cars.

Never want to piss someone off cause they will take it out on your car, most people have no balls and are completly different behind the wheel.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This morning I hit up Sam's Club for the monthly stock up of vittles and house goods.

I park waaaaaay out, and make sure no one is by me.
There are a few other rigs out far, and they are Toys too

Up front where all the rigs park real close so they don't have to walk far is all the American made SUVs, all parked within inches of each other.
I'm sure if I looked up close I'd see the battle scars from their parking lot excursions.

The ones who care park way away if they wanna keep their rigs ding free...

Scott, sorry to hear of your misfortune.
I'd go ballistic if I caught someone in the act of doing that to my rig.
I'd think I'd have to spend the night in jail too.
Hard to say what I'd do if I caught someone in the act of doing it.
I'm not a cheek turner.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Keying someone's ride? I've never understood that either.

Almost as bad as when you are the only guy in the bathroom and some guy picks the stall next to you in the john when there are 20 empty ones away from you to choose from. The he audabily proceeds to exercise the deamons and you realize that the guy has eaten nothing but sweat socks for the past 20 years and hasn't been able to go until that point.....
Old 10-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

I think if the guy has eaten nothing but sweat socks for the past 20 years and hasn't been able to go until that point..... pickin what stall to use is not that guys biggest worry.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:19 PM

I was at Home Depot and I parked far in the back as usual and all the nice cars are parked in the same general area, Im in my car and this kid in an orange vest who works for you guessed it runs and launches this cart across the parking lot towards this guys BMW X5 4.4 :pat:

I did a sweet burn out pulling a u-turn, flew across the parking lot and creating a major scene and managed to stop the cart within 5 feet of the BMW the kid went running into the store but I followed and let the guy know who was an area manager or something like that, even went into the employee lounge and told the kid I would pull his arm off if a basket ever touches my car

The BMW guy ended up firing him after looking at the parking lot video tape

It's amazing noone cares for another persons property.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:22 PM

Scott
can you say the scratch is from a basket, have shop rite pay for it
Old 10-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

I can see that the Trailblazer folks might have thought you were messing with them, but that isn't any excuse. If there is a spot where someone can park behind them, then they better expect that someone might park there. I don't know about that lot, but in plenty of them, you need to pull right up to the car in the opposite stall or your vehicle is going to be sticking out too far. If they were the ones that did it, all they had to do was pull ahead a bit or if they really wanted to make sure the back was free, they could have parked with the front end in.

I guess one has to practice defensive parking to avoid pissing someone offf or drive an old beater truck like my 82 Dodge for errands like that. Its got plenty of small rust spots from rock dings, so another scratch probably isn't going to make it worth any less, but I'd still be mad if someone deliberately did something to it. I'm pretty careful about not flinging my door open and things like that, but I suppose some people probably avoid parking next to me because they think I'm likely to do that.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:01 PM

There is no excuse for damaging another persons property. Even if the thrailblazer cargo bay was blocked, the driver of the blazer (if their responsible for the damage) still crossed the line when they purposely took their anger out on the Toyota. Its not a situation of chalking this up to a learning experience and not blocking someones cargo bay. There was a potential crime commited and if it happen to me, there would be every attempt made to seek justice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone keyed my 03