Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Some questions about my planned PP + Bilstein lift:

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 07:16 PM
AUJWE

Question Some questions about my planned PP + Bilstein lift:

Alright, here's the deal. First of all, I have a 2000 SR5 2WD. I've finally got my PP 1" lift springs and Bilsteins rounded up and ready to install. But, I have just a few questions. I have a very mechanically inclined friend that can help me do the lift. But, will a spring compressor be required to install the front setup? The back is simply jack up truck, remove old, and install new; correct? How much time are we looking at to do this lift? I think that I may have read before that some people have had trouble getting the rear done b/c they needed an impact wrench. Am I correct here or did I read that wrong somewhere along the way?

Secondly, how much should I reasonably expect to pay if I were to have someone install all of this for me? I was quoted $270 from the local 4x4 shop. They broke it down like this: $90 per side for the front = $180 + $90 total for the rear = $270. Sounded a little high to me. What do you guys think? How long should it take a 4x4 shop or tire store to do this complete install?

Last but not least. Tires and alignment. I will be getting tires sometime during the last week of March, roughly 2 weeks from now. No sooner. I know a guy where I'm from who manages a Big 10 and he can get me a good price on tires. I plan on going with some 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. Since I should be 'roughly' 1" taller than a stock 4WD 4Runner I figure those tires should fit just fine. My question is: I know that I will need an alignment but would it be okay to wait until then to get one? So that I don't have to get one twice within a 2 week span?I will probably be putting about 500 miles on my truck from the time of my lift until the time I get tires. Would I damage anything?Lastly, how much should I expect to pay for an alignment if I need to get one after I lift?

Thanks for the help and sorry for posting so many questions all at once. I just want to get everything done right the first time. Thanks again.

Joey
Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joey:

I needed a spring compressor on all 4 corners. But I do have a 2.5" lift also. The fronts are alittle tricky and you don't need any impact tools to do the lift. I used regular hand tool just fine. As soon as you get your new tires on....get it aligned. Don't wait too long. With the mis-alignement it could put stress on other components and not handle good.

Good luck and hope all works out.

Paul
Old 03-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

There are tons of good write-ups on this, but since you said that you have read some, I'll chime in.

I did the exact same thing on my 4WD Y2K 4Runner. Here are a couple of thoughts:

If you don't have an impact wrench to compress the front coils, you're going to take a lot longer (read a couple hours) per side. I did it the first time by hand and three times since with an impact. There is no way in hell I would ever do it without an impact wrench. With an impact wrench, you could do the entire front in about 45 minutes if you move quickly. I can do it alone in about an hour - with an impact wrench and smoke breaks. If there is anyway you can get your hands on one, I would HIGHLY recommend it!!!

On the rear: I never did use a compressor back there. The trick here is to have both rear wheels off and the rig on stands. You can then use the jack to manipulate the axle to remove the springs. Do it slowly. Of course you have to remove the front and rear sway bars.

Another thing on the rear: It's going to be the upper shock mounts that get you. Since you are going to put in new Bils, I recommend you don't waste any time trying to undo the upper shock nut on the old shocks- cut the things off right away. If you are trying to save the shock (dunno why anyone would) than you are, again, look at a real PITA. There is not enough room up there to properly place your wrenchs to undo it. I used a saws-all after fighting with one side for about an hour. This also means you will have a hard time tightening the upper nut on the new shocks. There have been some creative methods that people have come up with. The one I hear most is using a cloth or something to protect the shock shaft and turning it while holding the nut in place.

Having done this job before, I think the prices you were quoted are reasonable. The rear shocks are a REAL bitch. The rest is pretty easy.

You will be fine waiting on your alignment- especially since you are getting new tires anyway. I think I paid less than $50 at Les Schwab for an alignment.

I ran BFG/AT/KO 265/75/16's just fine with this setup. No problems at all. You don't want to go bigger as you will then experience rubbing.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:50 PM
AUJWE

Thanks everybody for the input.

Gene,

I know that you had this setup on your old 4Runner b/c I bought these springs from you. Remember? I know that it's been awhile but I've been having to go at a pace that equals my $income$ and unfortunately that isn't always very fast for a college student. Thanks for the input though. You've been very helpful. Thanks again.

Joey
Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

I knew the name was familiar, but I spent so much time here it's hard to keep track!

I'm glad to hear you're getting them installed! Don't hesitate to send me some e-mail if you have any questions!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 PM
AUJWE

Gene,

I appreciate it. Believe it or not the springs are still in the same OME boxes that you sent them to me in. They are pretty rough looking by now though. You never wondered what ever happened to your old springs?
Old 03-14-2003, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

I can't help you on the install procedures since I had mine installed at a local Big-O Dealership. They charged me $360 with the alignment. I now regret not saving the $360 and doing it myself.

Most likely you will be 1.75" higher in the back and 1.5" higher in the front.

On the alignment here is what I recommend. If you have a Firestone shop in your area get the life-time alignment package. They will run you about $120 and you can get it done as often as you like, and it works at all the stores nationwide. Just think, after you get it done three times, it has basically paid of itself.
I was a salesman at a Firestone in SLC and the reason they can justify doing a lifetime alignment for so cheap is so they can upsell you on additional services needed. Just decline the additional recommended services and you will be fine.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AUJWE
You never wondered what ever happened to your old springs?
You know, there are many people out there right now that have a piece of that machine. I do often wonder. But as you noticed, I am having a hard time remembering where all the pieces went!