Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Some electrical issues ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some electrical issues ...

Hey everyone, I just recently sent the '91 Pickup off to new owners *sniff* and picked me up a '91 4Runner SR5 to replace it After driving my truck, I knew I couldn't live without something 4x4 & Toyota.

The new 4Runner's most outstanding problem is the electrical system. Let me run a brief list here, and see if you guys can help me find out where to start:

1: Passenger side headlight. On normal beams, if I pull the fuse for the driver's side, the passenger side lights up normally. If I put it back in, it goes out. If I turn on the auxilary lights on the bumper & low beams, it'll light up very dim. On high beams, it works fine. I'm betting that the auxilary lighting was wired in wrong, but I'm not sure. The fuses looked fine.

2: The door locks. Sometimes they'll function normally; sometimes you hit the "unlock" (up) part & it will lock, hit it again & it'll unlock; sometimes the up portion will lock the doors, then unlock them again immediately. Oh, it also likes to not fully unlock the driver's door ... I have to pull up on the lock & open the door. I'm thinking the switch might be the culprit ...

3: The windows. When rolling up or down, if you move more than one window at once, they lag really bad. Sometimes even running just one, they'll take their time. I'm thinking the motors might be a little tired too. You can also actually watch the voltmeter move when you hit the switch.

4: When the blinker is on, the voltmeter will jump with it.

5: The horn is dead. Not much of a problem, but still irritating.

6: The power antenna motor is making god awful noises. It's having trouble moving the antenna. I'm guessing it needs a new one, although the current one is just bent, so maybe that's it.

Yea, I think those are all the major issues. If I can't narrow down these problems & come up with solutions, I'll probably hand it over to a shop here in town that specializes in Automotive Electrical systems. I'm thinking there might be a problem with the charging system, hence the voltmeter jumping ... and possibly even a short or two.

Anyone that can provide me with any hints/tips/suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: The truck has 203,000 miles on it ... I'm not letting that phase me. The engine seems to be running well, and will be getting some nice maintenance come next Friday (payday!) ...

EDIT AGAIN: Also, the "Rear Anti-Lock" light is on ... brakes feel & act fine though.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 AM

Check the voltage at battery with engine running and not, 13.5-14.5 volts running and approx. 12.6 before start-up. Find and check the grounds for all the systems you are having problems with. #4 leads me to think a bad ground to body. may also relate to the headlight issue. If you can find a FSM wiring diagram you might find the systems that are giving you problem my have common ground.
Good luck
Nathan
Old 03-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Might have a few clues for U

First congrats on the new runner as a hilux man I feel your pain and sorrow at having to switch to second best . On to your problems it sounds like you have a problem with your alternator it is probably not putting out ( i hate when they do that ) you should start by checking the belt tension it might be just a matter of a loose/warn belt slipping a little. other then that maybe time for a new alt. (13yrs is old) . #3 the window motors pull a fair bit of juice I know when I try to run my two at the same time they are slower (the pass. is slower all the time compartively speaking). As to the antenna try this extend it fully and clean it with a rag soaked with varsol (paint thinner) Don't spill on your truck!, once clean if you have pliers try to carefully take the kink out ( as best you can it does'nt have to be perfect) then run a rag with 3in1 oil on it over it in an up & down motion (u know the one ) then retract the antenna . run it in and out a few times and repeat the clening and oiling steps. this should clean out the crud and get it working again. as a perventative measure oil it every few mos. more if you drive in dust etc.
as to the other issues it sounds like someone who REALLY had no clue was messing with it get an FSM or haynes/chilton and try to figure it out. or try profesional help. Hope this helps Aviator
Old 07-30-2004, 08:33 AM

Hiya,

Electrical problems abound. I hear your pain, going through the same myself.

Windows...
Remove the glass if at all possible. remove the door cards, grease the window mechanism... and finally clean the windows runners with hand soap. Rinse them thoroughly, let them dry out and then lubricate with a dry silicone. If your glass is tinted, check that the lubricant you choose is compatible with the film they have used.

As for the electrics in general, all the points that are having problems check 'both' the +ve and -ve links. Corroded connectors will abound, clean and re-attach. As for you headlight, sound like there is extra load on that line. Either someone has tapped into it, or the line has broken down somewhere along the line... pinch's, parts of the cabling/loom corroded, damaged grommet's, etc.

Try and compare the resistance on that particular feed, with another 4runner (same age, style, etc.) Might indicate an avenue of investigation.

andyL