95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Slipping Problem, any suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slipping Problem, any suggestions??

Hello everyone,
I am having a problem with my 95 4Runner. Here are the symptoms.... When I start it up and am starting to accelerate my RPM's go up but it slipps really badly. (Almost to the point it "Bucks") I could just be at a stop sign and be accelerating and I go almost nowhere. BUT, as soon as it "heats up" it shifts and accelerates like it normally should. I have spoken with a couple of guys at the dealerships and they all gave me different "diagnosis" but I am just wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem and if they could give me some advise. I have already had the transmission power washed, not just drained and refilled. I have no idea whatelse to do other than take it to the dealership and have a diagnostic run on it. If there is anything else I could try that would save me money (rebuilt tranny gonna run me $3K or more. and shoot thats half the trucks value). I really appreciate any help anyone has for me and my baby.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your clutch pack(s) are toast. Pull out your AT dipstick and smell it. Let us know what it smells like.

Chances are you are going to need a new trans. $3K is absurd. You should be able to score a used one for under $1K.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Ok well just went out and smelled it and the closest thing that I can think of it smelling like is bug spray. Kinda like that chemically smell? Hope that makes sense.

I got the quote for the rebuilt tranny from Toyota that is probably why it was so high. Plus this is California so there is probably another factor.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I hate to say it, but it sounds like your clutch pack(s) are toast. Pull out your AT dipstick and smell it. Let us know what it smells like.

Chances are you are going to need a new trans. $3K is absurd. You should be able to score a used one for under $1K.

I agree with both answers...same thing happened to my old Jeep (suprize) and I had to rebuild the tranny... Does it make any odd racket when you shift..or anything like that?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

It is an automatic, but no it doesn't make any odd sounds "when" it decides to shift . Anyone here in Cali. know of any rebuilt tranny places I could get a quote from?

I also read on another board that it could be the thermometer? I don't see how it could be something that I thought that had to do with the engine? But shoot if it could be the therm. the heck that is only like $20 bucks. I would be much happier if it is that. LOL

Thank you guys for your responses and suggestions I really appreicate it a lot.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no way it is a thermometer (at least I have never heard of anything like that).
Another thing it could be is a sticking shift solenoid.
If it is not that then likely the bands are toast.

What color was the tranny fluid when you looked at it?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

UM.... well I didn't check, gonna go do it right now....

Ok well it is like a diluted red color. Like if you mixed a drop of blood with a drop of water... sorry that is the only thing I can think of right now??? *shrugs*