Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Side Marker Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Marker Light Question

I've been researching side marker lights. I've found the tech write-ups and a few odd and end posts, but no one seems to have tried getting the side marker lights to work with the parking lights AND flash with the turn signals. Seems it should be easy enough with a relay. Anyone tried it?

Also, where do I find the JDM side marker lights? They seem to best match the Hilux Surf.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

You can try eBay for the JDM side markers, but for the wiring its fairly simple. For the wiring you would have to tap one wire to the parking lamp and one wire to the signal lamp, I forgot exactly which power wire goes where but that should be easy to figure out since its only two wires. With this the Side Marker powers on when you turn on your parking lights and it also flashes when you turn on your signal lights.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by iceman601
You can try eBay for the JDM side markers, but for the wiring its fairly simple. For the wiring you would have to tap one wire to the parking lamp and one wire to the signal lamp, I forgot exactly which power wire goes where but that should be easy to figure out since its only two wires. With this the Side Marker powers on when you turn on your parking lights and it also flashes when you turn on your signal lights.
doing it this way, however, raises the chances of some weird electrical things happening with current going backwards to either the turn signals or parking lights, causing either blown fuses or just unnecessary illumination. the best bet would be to use relays. maybe splice into the parking light wire and have that activate the relay coil connecting the light to a direct power source and doing the same with the turn signal, or wiring into the turn signal directly so that the circuits are isolated and they dont BOTH have a direct connection to both lights.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

I let the experts do the wiring but mine lights up w/ the stock lights and blinks w/ the blinkers. As far as where you get them CDCUFF has some. I bought 2nd gen OEM ones from him and I love them.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
I let the experts do the wiring but mine lights up w/ the stock lights and blinks w/ the blinkers. As far as where you get them CDCUFF has some. I bought 2nd gen OEM ones from him and I love them.
This sounds like what I'm looking to do. Who were the "experts" ?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Also, how did you mount them? Did you do the dremel cutting on the fender, etc? I took a look at Ebay for JDM side markers and there's a lot of different styles but without holding them in my hands it's hard to tell how they mount. If we could find some with a foam seal of some sort built in they'd be ideal.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Try this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_turn_signal/

No idea what truck you have. This is REALLY easy if you have the tacoma. Little more in depth for Yota's with the original front grill (80's through 95ish) marker lights. It is very simple and works great. You'll be using the #1157 bulb amber/clear which is a dual filiment bulb. This rewiring is REALLY easy. Plus its a lot brighter, once you start this mod YOU CAN'T turn back. I think I spent less than $20 all together.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Also, how did you mount them? Did you do the dremel cutting on the fender, etc? I took a look at Ebay for JDM side markers and there's a lot of different styles but without holding them in my hands it's hard to tell how they mount. If we could find some with a foam seal of some sort built in they'd be ideal.
Experts meant those that know how to wire. In my case, a buddy w/ an audio shop did the wiring and the dremel cutting. He's done a ton of these from back in the day when they were very popular. He cuts a paper template based on the back of the side marker and uses this as a guide.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Experts meant those that know how to wire. In my case, a buddy w/ an audio shop did the wiring and the dremel cutting. He's done a ton of these from back in the day when they were very popular. He cuts a paper template based on the back of the side marker and uses this as a guide.

I have a 2002 SR5 4Runner.

We're talking about this type of side marker light correct?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126/sidemarker-installation-3rd-gen-4runner-01-a-75843/

I didn't know any 4Runners in the US came with these, 2nd Gen or otherwise. Do you know which model JDMs you used?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
I have a 2002 SR5 4Runner.

We're talking about this type of side marker light correct?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75843

I didn't know any 4Runners in the US came with these, 2nd Gen or otherwise. Do you know which model JDMs you used?
No US runner came w/ side markers. The ones I have are from a 2nd gen runner and say "Toyota" on the actual light. They are amber in color and not clear.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 AM

No US runner came w/ side markers. The ones I have are from a 2nd gen runner and say "Toyota" on the actual light. They are amber in color and not clear.
Got a source for these and a couple of pics? Do these install the same way as the VW markers?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 AM

These look pretty darn close to the JDM side markers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by iceman601
These look pretty darn close to the JDM side markers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...spagenameZWDVW
I'd be perfectly fine with something like this, my only concern is how they attach to the vehicle.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Has anyone looked into Honda S2000 front marker lights? I was at a Honda dealer today and they look like they'd fit flush as the S2000 fender has no bevel around the lamp assembly.

The only question I had was how they attach to the car, and how you change bulbs. I didn't see how the lens snapped off the base.

The dealer quoted me $45 for the pair with base, but said that the wiring harness was attached to the car's main harness so I'd have to engineer something there.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:13 AM

I had the S2000 sidemarkers on my old Integra. They require a specially sized hole to fit and then you simply press them in and they snap into place with the two metal locking tabs. You don't remove the lens to replace the bulb; you pull the socket out from the back to do it. I gurante e you that you'll never have to replace the bulbs, though.

Go here if you want a ton of options for sidemakers. Most are $27 a pair.

http://passwordjdm.com/search.asp?st...chCriteria=all

Last edited by Midget96; 01-18-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

btw, I am the guy who sold them to ebelen - the real ones with wire intact from a Hilux Surf in Japan.