Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I Paint my Bumpers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Paint my Bumpers????

Hey gang. I have a 97 4runner and have the grey painted bumpers and the paint is just flaking off lately. Should I have them repainted? Anyone else have a similar issue? If so what have you done? If not any ideas?
K dens Thanks all
Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced mine with chrome. What color is your rig? If its a dark color you might consider painting the bumpers to match. If its black then definetly go black.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FORANA
Hey gang. I have a 97 4runner and have the grey painted bumpers and the paint is just flaking off lately. Should I have them repainted? Anyone else have a similar issue? If so what have you done? If not any ideas?
K dens Thanks all

I had the same problem with my Tacoma. At the time I was still under warranty, so they repainted them. When I get my camper shell painted, if they have some leftover paint, I'm going to have them paint the front bumper and grill black too.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

I painted mine black, front and rear. Friends don't let friends get chrome.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM

Christian, did you do your bumpers the same way as the wheels? Take them off, sand them down, primer, then paint?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Randomness
Christian, did you do your bumpers the same way as the wheels? Take them off, sand them down, primer, then paint?
Yep, same thing. For some reason the front came out crappy. I am going to redo it. I am going to go with a black that has a texture to it. I just have to figure out which texture.

I will post pics when the bumper is worthy.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Sounds good I think I'm gonna do it with that Krylon bed liner stuff, we'll see how that works.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

That's not a bad idea...hmmmm.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My painted bumpers were all pitted and scratched so I got them sprayed with line-x bed liner. I just took them off and brought them into the local line-x shop. they charged me $60 for the front and rear. Did this almost a year ago and have yet to get a chip or scratch on them. Plus they clean really easily - nothing sticks to them..

heres the pics http://community.webshots.com/user/4greggski
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
My painted bumpers were all pitted and scratched so I got them sprayed with line-x bed liner. I just took them off and brought them into the local line-x shop. they charged me $60 for the front and rear. Did this almost a year ago and have yet to get a chip or scratch on them. Plus they clean really easily - nothing sticks to them..

heres the pics http://community.webshots.com/user/4greggski
That look gooooood
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

That looks great Greedy! Only problem is that us chrome guys are out of luck. Well, sort of. I used to work for Rhino Lining, and spraying chrome is a big no no. It has very poor surface bonding properties - even when the dickens is sanded out of it. They might do it if the thing came in etch-primed though. I actually thought of taking it in and having it sprayed, and after the way my front bumper looks right now, maybe I should have.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks 96, I am really happy with the way it turned out and the cost. I had the painted bumpers and was told by the line-x tech that i didn't need to prep them at all. I sanded them a little anyways and it had stuck on there like crazy glue.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Dude that looks awesome. 60 bucks? If they'd do mine for $60, I'd do that for sure, instead of painting them myself. Where did you do it at? Phone # or website or anything?

Christian, do you think it would really not stick? Are our bumpers actually chrome, or just chrome looking stuff? Hmm.... what to do....
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Christian, do you think it would really not stick? Are our bumpers actually chrome, or just chrome looking stuff? Hmm.... what to do....
Ryan-

Just pull it (them) off yourself and prep them; Sand, wipe, prime.

Call ahead of time and ask of course before you get into all this. Just tell them you want to bring in a primed front and rear bumper and have it sprayed. I recommend Rhino, but the Line-X texture and prices seem to be a little better.

We would not spray chrome and warranty it at our old shop in Kirkland. It just would not bond properly.

Let me know what you find out.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Do you think if it was sanded, wiped, and primed that they would warranty it? Thanks bro.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

I had gray and painted mine black to match, check out my Webshots or my website for pics.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 AM

Randomness - I went to the Line-x in totem lake. 425-820-5809 and ask for Steven O'Neill. He's the one who sprayed mine and might remember doing it. One thing, he mentioned that mine were the first ones he had done and if he was to do them again, he would probably have charged more due to the amount of overspray. I still don't think it would be over $80 or so tho.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Do you think if it was sanded, wiped, and primed that they would warranty it? Thanks bro.
I think we could have been convinced back in the day to warranty them. However, with the change of ownership (at the shop in Kirkland off 405 and 124th ST, by Tacoma Screw) the policy adherence could be looser or tighter. Definitely call around (Line-X, Rhino, etc.) and see what they say. It could also help to drive the primed bumpers to each shop and ask for a written estimate (on a business card or something).

At Rhino we pulled the tailgate and/or access panels off some trucks, which would be a perfect time to direct the spray gun to a bumper or similar. Catch them on the right day and you will get a deal.

Also, the Rhino texture CAN be adjusted to a finer setting. Most people don't know that. Rhino techs are trained for a larger texture from the mother store in San Diego, that is why you see most trucks with a larger texture than something like Line-X. It actually helps to hold your load in place better. Since the texture goes on at the end with Rhino, they can just adjust it as requested.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 PM

will the lining fade I want to get the bed done on mine
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Rhino lining will not fade if you take care of it. We suggested a good scrubbing with a brush and carwash soap everytime you washed the vehicle. If the shine does start to dull slighty, Rhino offers non-skid luster-renewal products to shine it back up. Whatever you do, don't put Armor All on it!

Quick Reply: Should I Paint my Bumpers????