Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Should I do the 100k big maintenance or sell? 97 4Rnr Ltd SC'd

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I do the 100k big maintenance or sell? 97 4Rnr Ltd SC'd

Hey All,
I'm a very infrequent poster mostly because my 4Runner has never given me any issues. I've had it for around 40k miles now and as the odometer is now in the high 97k's, I figure it's time for a major service. The question I pose to the group is: is it worth going through the service hassle (I do the work), or simply trade it in and upgrade?

It's a '97 Ltd 4wd, with the Gen-II TRD supercharger. No major mods except replacing the rear dampers with air-lift units and of course the SC. Minor things like making the rear locker work in 2wd mode, adding trailer brake controller and 7pin trailer hookup. Really anymore the ONLY thing I use this truck for is plopping the KLX650R on the back on a MotoJackRack and going riding. Otherwise it sits in the garage and I'm out in the 911.

I figure I'm do for TB, WP, front pads & rotos, rear shoes, front dampers, full tranny service, brake flush... You know major service interval. I'm not intending this to sound like whining - by far my 4Rnr has been dirt-cheap to own/operate; but rather I'm pretty much bored with it. Add to that boredom my inability to ignore how crappy the front seats fit me (lower seat cushion not nearly long enough) has given me pause to look at options.

So I suppose the question is, do I fix it and keep it? Or trade to something else? Economically the answer is an easy - fix it. Emotionally & irrationally it's not an easy decision. I never go off-road with it, I put maybe 3000 miles on in it the last year. I dunno keep or go?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

If you're asking for opinions, why not keep it? It's paid for, you can do the service (much cheaper than having someone else do it), and you actually use it for one of its intended purposes (towing).

Your other alternative is to sell it but do you really think anything you trade it for will be much better and that you'll use it more often. If so, trade it as it doesn't seem like the dollars matter so much to you and you'll have something you like more. I personally, couldn't justify dropping a ton of cash on something I don't use very often...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 AM

True enough, and my often-ignore-internal-financial advisor agrees with you. Well I guess I'll start gathering parts and make a day of it. I suppose since it's paid for, I can start to be willing to go play with it and learn what all this off-roading hullaballoo is about.

I appreciate the dose of logic. Oh and the dollars do matter - I simply have developed a warped sense of reasonable expense being a predictable monthly pmnt "feels" not as bad as a once in a while big-hit. Intellectually I know that's silly.

Last edited by quattro; 06-06-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Cool

Sell it to me... I'll give to $100 for it.

Seriously... if you don't use it, sell it to someone who has wanted one their whole life (or at least a long time). I have wanted a 4Runner since I was 13 years old, and found an owner who just wanted a newer 4Runner (4th gen) so I bought his '98 dirt cheap. I've put almost as much money in upgrades as I had paid for the entire truck stock!

If you don't use it, sell it. Post it here first as someone here will take good care of it.

Good luck. Oh, and I'll also throw in a few baseball cards of Ken Griffey Jr.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you've only put 3000 miles on it last year (and this year is going to be similar), you're in no rush to get the whole 100K maintenance done right now... work away at the big stuff over the next six months. Tackle one big project per month (or something like that) so that by the end of the year, all the big $ things are done.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pads and shoes are cheep and easy, expecially if the rotors dont need replaceing.

TB is kinda major but still doable.

fluid changes are no big deal and only a few hrs on a sat including the brake fluid change.

Hoses and belts are easy (can be done as part of the TB)

front shocks arnt hard and if you spred the stuff out as mentioned shouldnt be a major chore.

think of it this way... youve drove it for years with relitivly little maintaince/troubles.

you got to pay to play as they say...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep it.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:34 PM

That is really an entirely personal thing.

After all of the things I have done to my 4Runner (and I am nowhere near some of the posters) I can't imagine selling my rig; because its a labor of love.

We wrench on our trucks because we want or need to make them run and we have the skill. We mod our trucks to make them better - sometimes even more personal. It's entirely up to you whether you keep it or sell it. If its paid for save what you would have paid in a truck payment and have it DD into a separate account or something. Buy yourself or your other half something nice. You could even use it for future upgrades.

You obviously have a use for your rig, you tow stuff - I say keep it.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 AM

I'd say keep it. 100k maintenance isn't that expensive.

The only things I paid to do was have the brake system flushed, water pump and timing belt replaced. Everything else I did my self.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Evidently, this is your 1st Toyota...

No rush on the 100k mile service. And since you do a lot of the work yourself, then I'll bet there are items you've already done and others that you feel comfortable putting off. I drive about 25k/year and perform a lot of the maintenance items on my own schedule. So I'd say keep it maintained to suit your driving style and it'll last forever. Unless you can afford to trade up every few years (and from your sig it looks like you can...). Unfortunately, not a lot of people have that luxury.

I've owned 5 Toyota's and not ONE of them did I even CONSIDER dumping before 200k miles. That's why I buy Toyota's.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds like a very personal issue rather than a strictly black and white decision based on logic alone. If you are bored with the truck or feel you don't use it enough to justify having it then sell it because it is a depreciating asset. Most of us buy these trucks and use them til the fall appart but then most are also doing it in the interest of saving money as well as having a vehicle we enjoy with little or no maintenance during it's lifetime (there are no vehicles that are maintenance free that I am aware of). The 100k service sounds like a non-issue in the decision since you've had many miles of cheap service previously and with a 911 in the driveway I'd also have to doubt the money was a huge issue either (though I could be wrong). If you are tired of the truck then sell it to someone else and buy what you want.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

If you are, indeed, using it for the towing, I'd definitely say keep it and do the maintenance. None of the maintenance projects are that bad, and there are plenty of tips around here about doing the timing belt reasonably easily. It sounds as though none of that is an issue for you to DIY. My suggestion at this point is to investigate swapping the seats for, perhaps, a pair (or at least the driver's) of Recaros. If you like the seats in the Porsche, then look into some after-market seats to improve your comfort in the 4R.

I'd be willing to bet that making the seats more comfortable for yourself would lead to your driving the 4R more frequently. Seat swapping, in my experience, is a lot easier than most people make it out to be. If your are a little bit creative in your thinking, it probably wouldn't be that hard to put a pair of Porsche seats in there, for that matter!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 AM

I appreciate everyone's voice on this. I have decided to keep the truck in the stable and am awaiting the parts to do the 100k engine service. What the heck, it's agreat truck with few (solvable) foibles and no gas guzzling V8 to feed. 'Eh - it's a winner.

My previous Rnr was an '87 Turbo which I loved and beat the SNOT out of, did an engine swap since I bought it with a knocking-rod. Man I miss that beast.

So I'll be diving into the engine whenver the parts arrive. I think I'm headed to the Tundra brake upgrade since I'm going to have to do pads & rotors anyway - seems only logical and I HATE warped brakes. Next month I think it's time for a Sanoran Steel suspension upgrade & possibly and maybe some new tires.

You guys are having too much fun with these things and I wanna play too. I can put off the $2500 clutch in the 911 for another couple of months.

Now who's going to teach me trail-driving basics? My experience is driving 100mph in a rallycar down forest roads. I haven't the foggiest clue how to trail run.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by boraxman
Keep it.
Easy...Keep It.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
That is a no brainer...paid for...Toyota...4Runner...keep it. 100K maintenance isn't an expense...it is an investment. I'd rather spend $300/month on my paid for 4Runner any day of the week than a $300/month car payment.

I love telling the insurance agent that my vehicles are MINE when they ask if there is a lien holder on the titles.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Let me know if you wanna sell it....

I'll let you know of any up coming local wheeling trips if you are truely intrested.

You wouldn't happen to be familar with a shop in the near west side, would you?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 AM

Are we talking about EuroPlex, in terms of the shop on the near west side of Chicago? Otherwise maybe I'm not familiar with what you're talking about.

I'd love to be given a shout when you're tempted to go out wheel'n, here for the next couple months. My engine parts should be in this week and I'll knock that maintenance out quickly.

Right now my tires are pretty targeted at street terrain - so going out on a sloppy wet day might not be a great idea. But I can change the rubber, or maybe take the tire-cutter and give myself some lugs...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by quattro
Are we talking about EuroPlex, in terms of the shop on the near west side of Chicago? Otherwise maybe I'm not familiar with what you're talking about.

I'd love to be given a shout when you're tempted to go out wheel'n, here for the next couple months. My engine parts should be in this week and I'll knock that maintenance out quickly.

Right now my tires are pretty targeted at street terrain - so going out on a sloppy wet day might not be a great idea. But I can change the rubber, or maybe take the tire-cutter and give myself some lugs...
Yea, Europlex...I saw your user name and assumed you had a Audi...then I read your sig.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 AM

Well if you've been in EuroPlex and see the rallycar - my name is on the co-driver's side... Man I sure do miss John's old Grp_A S2 factory werks car - but the new to him Evo 6.5 Open class car is scary fast. I've known John Rek for many years consider him a good friend.

If you're ever driving by and see a platinum/taupe/sand (whatever it is) colored 4Rnr Ltd with silver'ish flares, or a silver 911 Carrera4 - then I'm there. Stop in and introduce yourself.

Audi's: well I've owned LOTS of them over the last decade or so. I was heavy into custom EFI programming & turbo tweaking when I finally got out and into the world of Porsche. I now laugh at how much effort I put into trying to make a 4-door sedan behave like a true sports car. But I found the experiences totally invaluable. Taught me LOTs about cars, racing & wrenching.

Last edited by quattro; 06-12-2006 at 08:32 AM.