Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shock-ing Thoughts, Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock-ing Thoughts, Need Input

I'm in the market for new shocks on the 4-Runner. My plans include retaining the stock suspension and trying to get the most articulation out of it as possible. Here is what I planned to do:
  • Lo-Pro Bumpstops on front
  • Front/Rear quick discos
  • Downey HD coils (eventually)*
  • Bilstein shocks (I haven't heard anyone complain yet!)

*I don't have the Downey coils yet, but I figured I could add a little on the rear extended length and be okay. IMHO, compression should be the same because you're well into the bump stops before you reach coil bind.

I'm worried that (standard) shocks might limit the articulation so I followed the advice on BajaTaco's site about twisting up the rig and taking measurements (insert props to BajaTaco here ). So Saturday morning I removed shocks, disconnected sway bars, cut down bump stops and started twisting things up. Here is what I came up with:

Front - Comp.=10.5", Ext.=14.5"
Rear - Comp.=16.5", Ext.=23.5"

With my 31's I could trim the bumpstop in the rear and get a little more compression. I would think that another 1-1.5" of wheel travel would be possible making the shock compression measurement roughly 15.5".

I called Bilstein and had them look up some extended/compressed lengths on there shocks and this is what they told me:

'90-95 4-Runner:
Front, B46-1468 - Comp.=9.3", Ext.=13.6"
Rear, B46-1468 - Comp.=13.0", Ext.=20.9"

'91-97 Land Cruiser:
Rear, B46-1478 - Comp.=15.0", Ext.=23.25"

According to my measurements it looks like the fronts are going to be short in extension and the rears are really going to limit articulation. In fact, the fronts almost have me worried a little bit... The Land Cruiser's rears look temping, but with the Downey HD coils (read: lifted/longer) I would expect to see a little more extension in the rear. If I find time I'm going to try and call Bilstein and see if they have anything else that might work...

Any thoughts from the Downey coiled members on max. extended length? Am I being too anal about all this? Let me know what you think....

Last edited by Faded; 09-15-2003 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if you got my PM about this, or perhaps I was talking about it with someone else.

Your compression in the rear looks a little long. With extended bumpstops I use an even shorter compressed length.

If you want to stay Bilstein, it looks like that cruiser shock would be perfect. Much longer and you start getting into the gas tank with the driveshaft.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Adrian,

Yes, I did get your PM, thank you it was helpful. I'm curious as to what your compressed length is in the rear and what (extended) bumpstops are you running? I might have to re-check this measurement, it was the only one I measured once.

Any thoughts on the front? The shocks seem way too short to me.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Anyone?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 PM

OME N86's or OME N86C's will give you the longest amount of the travel in the rear, and if you're not doing the saws, do the OME N91C's up front.

Chris
Old 09-16-2003, 08:03 AM

Chris,

Do you have any specs on these shocks (i.e. comp/ext. lengths) just for comparison? Also, where can I find a good deal on them? I can get the Bils for $55/ea and for the quality-per-dollar plus lifetime warranty I figured the Bils would be the best choice.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-16-2003, 08:57 AM

Oh yea,

Adrian, I freakin' pancaked the rear again last night and remeasured the compressed length with the axle on the bumpstop and came up with 16.0".
Old 09-16-2003, 10:26 AM

Yep, here's the link to Steve's site where he details out the compressed and extended lengths of bilsteins and OME shocks:
http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/rear_shocks.html

Chris
Old 09-16-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
and if you're not doing the saws, do the OME N91C's up front.
Chris,

My Runner is a '90, I don't think this will work. I'm still trying to see what I can find for the front.

On Steve's site he says that the Land Cruiser shock is to long when compressed (I'm assuming for the 3rd Gens) but I was wondering if he (or anyone for that matter) has measured/tested them on a 2nd Gen Runner. Compressed length is 15" and like I said above I'm well into the bumpstop @ 16".
Old 09-16-2003, 10:41 AM

Oh, I'm sorry about that! The best thing to do is call OME and bilstein, and tell them the numbers you achieved without the shocks attached, and they'll tell you exactly what shocks they off that would work. That's about the only sure way of knowing you're getting what you need.

Chris
Old 09-16-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am impresses that is what you measure.

Since we are talking about 2nd Gen trucks, referencing Steve's site is only moderately helpful. You should have no issues using cruiser shocks of a 2nd gen and that seems to be the question of the hour.

If you don't wheel it, or don't wheel it hard, those shocks out to be the ticket.

I have stock Bilsteins up front. I had to space them down to use complete extension.

If you want to wheel it, Monroe MA756 air shocks can fake part of a solid axle. If not, the Bilsteins would do the trick.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
I am impresses that is what you measure.
I can tell I would have snapped a pic but the sun sets early now and I didn't have the proper lighting.

Since we are talking about 2nd Gen trucks, referencing Steve's site is only moderately helpful. You should have no issues using cruiser shocks of a 2nd gen and that seems to be the question of the hour.

If you don't wheel it, or don't wheel it hard, those shocks out to be the ticket.
Right, the lengths seem to work out on paper, but another issue I'm considering (like I said before, I want to do this right the first time) is the valving. I'm going to check and make sure that the LC units are valved to be twice as stiff (or something along those lines) as the standard 4R shocks. Travel is good, but not if it sacrifices too much ride quality.

I have stock Bilsteins up front. I had to space them down to use complete extension.
I was wondering what your set-up was up front but kept forgetting to ask. How thick is your spacer?

I've found about a half-dozen Bilstein alternatives for the front that all use the S1/EB113 (or the more common EB1) mounting set-up that will work depending on shock length/valving. I left a voice mail with one of the Bilstein off-road reps and he's supposed to be calling me back to discuss all the options (or lack there-of). And yes, I'm stuck on the Bils. Understanding some of the technology their shocks benefit from shows you how advanced the company is and makes them that much more appealing IMHO.

Hopefully once I figure this out it will help future 2nd Gen owners get the most out of their stock supsension for just a little $$$. Who needs a lift if you can drop a 33 out of your wheel well like Flygtenstein?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:25 AM

So I bit the bullet...and bought the Bilsteins, stock B46-1468 for the front and B46-1478 for the rear. The rears are the Landcruiser shocks. The showed up yesterday and out came the tape measure...

To make a long story short I chose the stock front because they are valved for the front of the 4-Runner and everything else was not even remotely close. As far as length, much to my suprise it looks likes Bilstein did its homework. By the time you add in the width of the shock boot keeper, bushings and cupped washers it will be in the ballpark. Exact measurements will follow when I get a little more time.

As for the rears, dyamn are they looooong. Looks like they will still work out perfect though. Again, I'll have exact measurements later. The valving on the LC shocks is a little different. Okay, there is a big difference in rebound damping and the compression is a little soft (compared to the Bilstein replacement for the 4-Runner). This will work in my favor in the future when I get around to ordering the Downey HD coils. The softer compression will make for a good ride with the stiffer coils and the added rebound will help keep them in check.

Measurement to follow as well as how they ride.