Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shock Bushings and Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Bushings and Strut Mount

Afternoon Everyone.

Believe when when I say I wish it was a good afternoon, but it isn't. I finally figured out my problem with my '98 4Runner SR5 swaying with bumps in the road or when I turn the wheel some. I've been through the regiments of checking all of my bushings.

As it turns out, I finally found that the bushings above and below my strut mount had collapsed. I've been trying to figure this problem out long enough that it has worn an oval shape into the mount. So I need a new one.

As seen in my profile, I have Sonoran Steel's 2.1 Lift from about three years ago. It made it a 2.5" lift in the front with the black Tokico shocks. Oh, and my truck has over 305k now, so it's been a bit since the avatar photo... Currently, it is my daily driver since I totalled my motorcycle, however, I plan on making it primarily off-road.

My questions are:

1.) What brand of strut mount seems to be the best quality? The OEM mounts are $75 each. The Gabriels at AutoZone are $19 each and the Checkers are $18 each. Both aftermarkets have a lifetime warrantee, the OEM has a one-year warrantee.

2.) While I'm in there, I'm replacing the axles. My CV boots tore awhile back and I never got around to replacing them. Now, I'm paying more for my laziness. No questions here, just info...

3.) In amongst all of this, various other bushings are showing signs of wear. I would like to upgrade to poly bushings, if possible. I mean, after 300k+ miles, what bushings wouldn't. It doesn't appear Energy Suspension makes them for the '98. Is there a different year that is compatible? Is there a brand of poly bushings that would be better?

I am wanting to replace shock lower bushing, both cushions on top, the stabilizer bar links, the tie rods, strut bar, and sway bar (in the rear). Any others I should do while I am in there?

4.) Should I add a steering stabilizer or steering dampener too? I noticed them on Gabriel's website, but I've never dug into those.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.
Scott
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I would go OEM for the shock mount, I mean yours only lasted 300k
For the Axles, if you've never tackled it before download the FSM for your 4runner here: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
You have a rack steering system, so no steering dampener needed...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM

LoL, yeah, only 300k+ miles and the only reason it went Fubar was because I neglected to replace the bushings when I did the lift kit. But hey, it was my first suspension modification and now I know...

And you have no idea how long I had been looking for that Service Manual to download. I gave up about four years ago and bought the Haynes Repair Manual. It's done an excellent job of giving me what I need. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
No Problem
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I ended up purchasing the set from Checker with the Lifetime Warrantee, since it was a third of the price and a lot longer warrantee.

As it turns out, I like the aftermarket version a lot better. The top plate has a molded guide around the cushion that replaces the retaining ring below. This should help prevent the wear-out problem I had before because the cushion won't have the chance to move like it does in the stock version.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Energy Suspension steering rack bushings and recommend them highly. However another train of thought from some members is to stick with OEM rubber replacements.

Please be aware that at your mileage catastrophic failure of the ball joints has occurred with some members rides and therefore please have those changed out as well. I would be shocked if you don't also need some tie rods inners or outers or both.

I am mechanically challenged myself but you seem to know what you are talking about. Be sure to have all these parts carefully inspected and it is cheap insurance to simply replace them while you have the front end taken apart.