Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Servicing a 2nd Generation TRD Supercharger for 1999 4runner.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Servicing a 2nd Generation TRD Supercharger for 1999 4runner.

Greetings to everyone here!

I'm currently helping out my father repair his 2nd Generation supercharger for his 1999 4runner and wanted to get a little info from you guys.

A few weeks ago I removed my fathers supercharger because it was making some odd noise under acceleration and reinstalled his stock manifold. Tonight, I decided to take apart the supercharger to find out what was wrong and a few things were quite apparent.

First off, I immediately noticed there was an oil leak coming from the seal between the supercharger body and the nose piece. Once opened, there was still quite a bit of oil left inside... so that was definitely a good thing considering what would happen if it had all drained out.

Second, there was quite a bit of play between the pulley and shaft, and once I cleaned out all the crap that had built up between the two... the wobbling became really bad. I used a puller to remove the shot pulley and used a micrometer to check if the shaft itself had been damaged.... and luckily everything measured fine and it was indeed the pulley itself that was messed up.

The oil inside the nose piece was surprisingly very clean and was a very light yellow. The two rotor gears had zero play between them and when spun, they were very smooth.

The shaft running through the nose piece also spun smoothly.

Now... I know I need to get a new seal, gear oil, and a pulley to finish the job, but since I already have it apart..... I think it would be best to replace the bearing inside the nose piece.

Does anyone here have the part numbers for the following:

(Generation 2)

1. Nose piece bearing.
2. Nose piece snap ring.
3. Gasket
4. Pulley
5. Oil

Now.... this truck has 120k (mostly highway) miles on it and was cared for meticulously. I personally did every servicing, typically on a more frequent interval than recommended. (oil chances, timing chain, boots, plugs, filters, hoses, etc). I even changed out the head gasket at the same time as the timing chain since It was not much more work. I also run frequent diagnostics with my OBDII cable and it always passe.

I'm considering putting the 9psi pulley onto the supercharger. Other than added intake pressure, a little more engine heat, and some more stress on components... is there anything else I need to be concerned about. My dad has driven this car for 11 years like an old lady (the slow kind) except for an occasional hard acceleration, so the engine hasn't had much stress over the years.

I'm not overly familiar with Toyota engines or superchargers, so I wanted to get some recommendations on things I may be missing and should be addressed. I've spent many years wrenching on high powered turbo-charged European engines (Audi's) and Japanese (Subaru's and Mitsubishi Evo's). Also on classic Chevy and Ford muscle cars. So I doubt there are many recommendations that are beyond my experience.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

Last edited by Andrew LB; 03-03-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Oh yea.... I need to replace the belts also.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM

I don't have a part number, but I recommend getting the SC oil from any GM dealership.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This ought to bring you up to date on the TRD supercharger: Toyota 3.4l Supercharger Wiki

You will not be able to put the 9 psi pulley on without doing some fuel mods (even the stock 6.5psi pulley is questionable with the size of the stock injectors and fuel pump). I have to ask, if your dad drives it like an old lady why does he even need the supercharger?

As for rebuilding, you're going to have a tough time finding parts for it (except some sketch Ebay shops). I would have recommended sending it to Magnuson for a rebuild, but I guess it's a little late for that...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Brian - I haven't kept up on the Magnuson story. I can only assume by your comment that they're out of business. I take it no one has found a shop to do this yet? Didn't URD talk about doing this a while back?

(reason I ask is that during last SC oil change, I noticed the oil was darker in color and there was some very (very) fine metal dust on the SC housing. My guess is that somewhere down the line I'll need a full rebuild)
Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bennito
Brian - I haven't kept up on the Magnuson story. I can only assume by your comment that they're out of business. I take it no one has found a shop to do this yet? Didn't URD talk about doing this a while back?

(reason I ask is that during last SC oil change, I noticed the oil was darker in color and there was some very (very) fine metal dust on the SC housing. My guess is that somewhere down the line I'll need a full rebuild)
Magnuson is alive and kicking, but I'm not sure what their policy is on superchargers that have been taken apart. Definitely give them a call though, I got mine fully rebuilt for about $350 which is a real deal IMO.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-08-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
... I got mine fully rebuilt for about $350 which is a real deal IMO.
That's not bad...what did they do for that price Brian?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's not bad...what did they do for that price Brian?
They replaced all of the bearings, seals, couplings, bypass valve... basically everything except the housing and rotors. If the rotors are bad then you can expect it to be about $750.