Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sensor(?) "whine" in the interior...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensor(?) "whine" in the interior...

It seems only on the highway, when I dont have the radio on or windows down, every 3-4minutes I hear what sounds like a sensor or something like that give off a high pitch "whine" or "whee" sound for about 4 seconds then it stops and does it again in a few minutes. I 've tried turning off/on everything while driving to locate it but no luck. Anyone know what this is? It's not loud at all and you have to be paying attention somewhat to hear it but it's annoying.

Thanks for any advice or help!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

What kind of accessories/mods have you made? It may help in understanding what may be making the sound (relays, gauges, etc)
Old 10-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

No mods at all, I just got it and havent done a thing to it yet. It doesnt sound/act like something is wrong neccessarily it's just makes this high pitch whine that sounds like a sensor. Like I said it goes for about 4sec every 3-4 minutes. I noticed it when I was on the highway. I tried turning everything off/on to isolate it to no avail...
Old 10-19-2003, 06:35 PM

sorry to get off the subject but derrick do you have any more pics for you muffler. I have been thinking about doing that. can you post some pics of your trucks or email them to me. williamssk123@yahoo.com
thanks
Old 10-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Sure. I'll email some more tomorrow. What are you interested in specifically, and I can take some for you?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:20 AM

how the muffler looks on the back of the truck. I guess I pec from the back correr showing the muffler.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:29 AM

Re: Sensor(?) "whine" in the interior...

Originally posted by kraegelb
I hear what sounds like a sensor or something like that give off a high pitch "whine" or "whee" sound for about 4 seconds then it stops and does it again in a few minutes......
Have you checked your interior blower fan for trash? I have had 'items' get into the fan intake and hit the fan blades....this has made an intermitant high pitched whine.

David

P.S: I also wanted to re-hi-jack your post back to the original subject for you!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 02:24 PM

My '91 used to have a whine every now and then, or a high-pitched squeal. Finally tracked it down to the AC. When the AC was turned off, the whine went away (obviously). It sounded to me like maybe a fan motor or bearing or something. May not be same problem, but it's an idea.
Good Luck
Old 10-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for getting my post back on track, no hard feelings...

Thanks for your input guys it's really appreciated, however, I've had my AC off and it still makes the sound. I also just got my Runner, and the engine compartment is spotless from being cleaned/prepped at the dealer so I know there is no trash stuck in the fan area I'm almost positive.

I know it's a relay or something that is just intermittant and I'm starting to think it's not a malfunction or anything, just something I live with..but if nobody else knows what I'm talking about then maybe it is something different, because if it were normal, someone (many) would be hearing the same thing...??

Hopefully someone will recognize it and fill me in...
Old 10-21-2003, 09:59 AM

Check the behind the lower panel by the drivers door. I had a loose wire that caused some sort of relay noise behind that panel. It was my fault because I had cut a wire for the electric locker mod and the cut wire worked loose.

Just a thought.

Regards
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Will do, I'll check....I really hope I can isolate it and at least find out what it is...
Old 10-21-2003, 10:25 AM

Another idea....
Are you sure it's not coming through your radio speakers. I know that when you have a bad ground. 'Noise' from the engine will cause your speakers to whine. Does your truck have a factory stereo in it? Can you tell if someone has had it out or messed with it? ...just a thought
Old 10-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

I know the sound you are talking about, I had a bad ground on the stereo install I did in my Blazer, it whined in sequence with the RPM's. I'm pretty sure that's not it. It's to repetative and doesnt seem to be coming from the speakers but I'll check to make sure. I dont think anyone has messed with the stereo, although I did find speaker wire coming under the rear seat into the back where someone wouldl have hooked up some subs and an amp or something so maybe it has been messed with, but it just doesnt seem like that type of sound.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:43 AM

Yes, I know this sound at least I have it from time to time, but I don't know what the cause is. At first I thought it might be the CD player because the whine sounds as if you had just inserted a CD so I ejected the disc I had in there but the sound was still there. It was intermittent every few minutes and would last a few seconds. I shut off the radio and A/C and the noise was still there. It seems to come and go, as of this moment I don't hear it but last week it was there. I thought it might be a sensor or relay energizing and deenergizing. It was one of those things I thought silly to see the dealer on and I was going to wait and see if it got worse and lo and behold this post pops up. At least I know I'm not going crazy and hearing things.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you! I think we are finally talking about the same thing!

I think it may just be a quirk we live with. You have to be paying attention to hear it, and I can see how it could go unnoticed...

If anyone knows what it is, I'd still like to isolate it. I had long drive yesterday and tried to, turning off everything, on everything and every combination there of. I think it may be the fan, when it's off, I didnt hear it, when I turn it on to blow heat/ac, I heard it. Not 100% sure but I'm going to keep trying...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by kraegelb
......I think it may be the fan, when it's off, I didnt hear it, when I turn it on to blow heat/ac, I heard it. Not 100% sure but I'm going to keep trying...
Now we are indeed getting somewhere. The fan is exactly what I diagnosed initially. From your post, it appears you thought I meant your fan under the hood. If you re-read my post, I mentioned the interior blower fan. This fan is located behind your glove box area. Sometimes things find their way into the intake of the fan. This happened to me and I had to drop the blower assembly and found that a cellophane candy wrapper had become wedged in the intake and was hitting the blades of the fan....much like a playing card in the spoke of a kids bike wheel. This made a high pitch whine that came from the middle dash area because of the vent duct work carried the sound. The cellophane would hit the blades and then get blown away from the blades thus stopping the whine for a short time and then it would fall back and the the whine would start.

D
Old 10-22-2003, 11:04 AM

hm... i get a whine when i accelerate on the highway and it's not just for a few seconds..it's constant as long as i have my foot on the pedal. if i have anything on or the window open, you can't hear it, but if the radio is off and the windows up..you can tell it's there...is that the same sound?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Whew! We may be starting to split hairs here! Not sure if that is the same sound or not, but I do notice it on the highway (during steady cruising) more as opposed to city (stop/go) driving.

Memphis - I'm going to check my blower behind my glove box. I was thinking engine fan, your right..duh. Do I even dare ask how difficult it was to get at? Cause if I take forever to tear everything out and dont find anything I may go Chainsaw Massacre on someone....

Last edited by kraegelb; 10-22-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:15 PM

CLin9383 - Sounds like you have the stereo speaker problem (radio doesn't have to be on for the speakers to whine). Check your grounds and i bet you isolate your problem. The whine modulates with RPMs because of the interference through the frame.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:24 PM

I have the same whining noise in my truck. It sounds like it is coming from the right front kick panel. Only comes on when the blower fan is on. The guy at the alternator shop says I may have a bad diode in the rectifier causing ac voltage to create a whine through the electrical in the truck. Wish I knew for sure

I have worked in the mobile electronics field for about 12 years now and I have checked all the obvious and I'm sure it's not from the stereo. It doesn't change with fan speed.

Last edited by rbh261; 11-24-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Sensor(?) "whine" in the interior...